Windows 10: Windows 10 backup doesn't sync new files/folders to FileHistory folder on external HD

Discus and support Windows 10 backup doesn't sync new files/folders to FileHistory folder on external HD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi There! My windows 10 should create a backup automatically every 12 hours. When I check my backup settings it says that the most recent backup is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tomas013, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Tomas013 Win User

Windows 10 backup doesn't sync new files/folders to FileHistory folder on external HD

Hi There!

My windows 10 should create a backup automatically every 12 hours. When I check my backup settings it says that the most recent backup is from today (so since it is every 12 hours that seems to be correct). But the thing is, it looks Windows 10 doesn't add new files / folders to the backup.

An example: Ive downloaded 5 JPG images 1 week ago. When I check the backup on my external HD via the FileHistory folder and navigate to Data -> D -> Downloads (for example) on the external HD. Then the images aren't there, even when I downloaded it more then 1 week ago and Windows created like 7 backups (or something) during that period.

Also. I got a random TXT file that ive created on the 14th of july. The file is located on the backup, so thats fine. But the thing is, ive added the content of the TXT file on the 20th. When I check the file on my backup external hard drive then there is still the one from the 14th of july, even if my Windows backup says the recent backup is from today..

Does anyone know how to solve this? Im really scared to lose some of my files..

Thanks in advantage!

PS. Ive added my complete C and D folder to the backup

:)

Tomas013, Jun 26, 2019

2. FIleHistory: some folders are not backup up anymore

Preamble: I have been used FileHistory to backup my folders and files on a network drive since long.

All backup up folders where included in the Library, therefore I nave used the Backup Contro Panel to include other folders in the backup list.

Up to yesterday everything was working fine.

Yesterday I used the Backup Control Panel to see what was happening if I was adding folder "C:\User\Paolo" to the list of included folders.

Shame on me ..

Since then FileHistory stopped backing up all folders, with one exception: the special folder "Download" which is the only one in my Library to be located in drive D:\ (that is, outside C:\User\Paolo)

Removing the folder C:\User\Paolo from the included didn't work.

Restoring Windows to a previous restore point did not solve the issue.

Starting a new backup on a different network drive did not work.

The final solution was to both

• remove all files located in C:\Users\Paolo\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • start a new backup in a new folder/network drive

I hope that sharing this will help others with the same issue.

Paolo

Paolo Cremonesi, Jun 26, 2019
  3. JimA1958 Win User
    Missing FileHistory Folders and Files After System Image Restore-Win10

Hi Sher and Others,

Thank you so much for your response. The links included had good advice on using basic features of FileHistory and creating a system image. I used Windows 10 FileHistory to save my files/folders onto a backup drive. I used Backup and Recovery (Windows 7)
    to create my system image. I restored the system image using the Windows 10 System Image Recovery. Before the recovery, I had verified on several occasions that files were available within the FileHistory folder on the backup drive from manual and search inspection.

I am sure FileHistory stores a database of files and folders it processes. Restoring my drive with an earlier system image would have replaced that database. Therefore, running the Restore Files options from FileHistory would only show files/folders in the
    replaced database.

My current FileHistory folder on the backup drive has two user folders, e.g., Jim and Jim (2). Their sizes are 100GB and 480GB respectively. The FileHistory after restore reports a Size of Backup of 100GB. I believe my missing files/folders might still be
    in my FileHistory folder on my backup drive.

* Will FileHistory delete files/folders from the backup drive that are not listed in its database?

* Is there a software tool that can rebuild the FileHistory database using the files/folders contained on the backup drive?

Thanks again for your continued help.

JimA.

JimA1958, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Windows 10 backup doesn't sync new files/folders to FileHistory folder on external HD

what sync backup program is good for windows 10? do I need an external drive?

I usually back up to flash drives portable ones or thumb drives 16 32 and 64gb drives. I heard having an external hard drive is best like for system backups tho what I'm concerned is individual file backups and I need incremental and syncronization apps for it. is google drive desktop app recommended or are there better ones? I also heard/read that windows 10 has its own back up features tho I can't find them.

basically what I'd like do is sync. I have some few copies of some folders on my c drive on external drives and whenever I update a file or add new files to that folder I'd like all folders on all drives to update with the most newer version "whenever I connect them" or when I tell them to do so. I may forgot which drive has what.

Miguel2013, Jun 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 backup doesn't sync new files/folders to FileHistory folder on external HD

1. Windows 10 backup doesn't sync new files/folders to FileHistory folder on external HD - Similar Threads - backup doesn't sync

2. windows 10 aquto backup not copying new files and folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 aquto backup not copying new files and folders: I have been using windows 10 auto backup for the last month THINKING it was workign but it is not. It is only checking to see if the ORIGINAL files that are in my folder have changed. It is not backing up the new folders or files i have added to the folder.I have a folder...
  3. windows 10 aquto backup not copying new files and folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 aquto backup not copying new files and folders: I have been using windows 10 auto backup for the last month THINKING it was workign but it is not. It is only checking to see if the ORIGINAL files that are in my folder have changed. It is not backing up the new folders or files i have added to the folder.I have a folder...
  4. Backup sync folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup sync folders: Why is it that Google and other backup companies like IDrive give you the ability to select ANY folder for sync, but Microsoft OneDrive, on it's OWN operating system, doesn't have this same ability? OneDrive only allows syncing from 3 folders. Desktop, Documents and...
  5. Syncing folders to an external drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Syncing folders to an external drive: I want an app that can sync some of my folders on my primary drive into an external drive. I already use Google Drive Sync to make copies on the cloud but I also want something local. I have tried the sync feature on AOMEI Backupper Pro which was exactly what I needed; I was...
  6. WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 - FILEHISTORY BACKUPS: Hi. Q. I have an external hard drive which I have been using to copy files from a laptop using FileHistory. I now have a second laptop and I would like to copy files from it to the same drive I've been using for my other laptop, also using FileHistory. I want to make sure...
  7. Missing Folders & Files After External Backup

Missing Folders & Files After External Backup: Not using the OneDrive Cloud or the Windows Backup Tool. Simply copying and pasting folders into an external hard drive. Now a ton of my folders and files have disappeared off of my computer as if I had cut & paste them instead, which I did not do. What happened? I already...
  8. FileHistory backup

FileHistory backup: Regarding FileHistory backup drive, if I select "Stop using device" can I still use the same external hard drive by selecting "Add a drive"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/filehistory-backup/23338f5f-61e8-4e31-bcce-25018f07f0f0
  9. Backup folder not visible on external HD

Backup folder not visible on external HD: On my 2 Tb WD external drive I have some standard folders that are visible. However I cant find the WD backup folder. My standard folders take up less than 500 Gb and it shows only 1.07 Mb is available. File explore options" are set to "Show hidden files, folders and...
  10. What is the $0F folder in FileHistory?

What is the $0F folder in FileHistory?: I just started using FileHistory in Windows 10. The first folder under the Data folder is named $0F. It is 59.2 GB. Every folder in the $0F folder seems to only have one or two entries to files saved elsewhere. These 5,922 folders are listed sequentially with 28,284 files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file history doesnt show previous backup

2. 2019 filehistory of onedrive folders failing

3. why doesnt email from computer saved in special folder does not appear on phone email folder?

4. file history doesnt backup all files,
  5. windows 10 sync files folders