Windows 10: Windows 10 - Backup File size does not match original file size

Discus and support Windows 10 - Backup File size does not match original file size in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 - Automatic backup Folder sizes on the back-up drive are significantly smaller than the folders that they are "copying/backing up" is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RickCummins1, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Windows 10 - Backup File size does not match original file size

Windows 10 - Automatic backup

Folder sizes on the back-up drive are significantly smaller than the folders that they are "copying/backing up"

is this normal or does this mean that the software is not fully backing up the files?

Thank you

:)

RickCummins1, Mar 25, 2020
  2. vtraja Win User

Difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file)?

1. Found that difference in size between File History backup(copied) and D: drive(original file).

for sample attached picture .but found memory size difference in all folders.

2.in the file history backup found folder $OF

vtraja, Mar 25, 2020
  3. Jetster Win User
    Page file size?

Deleting it is fine, but keep in mind if you delete your page file a memory dump has no where to go and will be deleted. Not a big deal but just FYI. Really there is nothing to gain by deleting a page file. Except for the physical space. Windows set your page file the same size as your ram for a reason. So suggesting you should delete it if you have 16+ Gb ram and wont need it is inaccurate. You can also recover Data on a BSOD if you have the dump file

"Microsoft says that, when the page file is set to a system-managed size and the computer is configured for automatic memory dumps, “Windows sets the size of the paging file large enough to ensure that a kernel memory dump can be captured most of the time.” As Microsoft points out, crash dumps are an important consideration when deciding what size the page file should be. The page file must be large enough to contain the memory data."

http://www.howtogeek.com/196672/windows-memory-dumps-what-exactly-are-they-for/

Jetster, Mar 25, 2020
  4. SirJangly Win User

Windows 10 - Backup File size does not match original file size

NTFS File Allocation Size

Just curious, but what is the reasoning behind extending the size of the windows partition?

SirJangly, Mar 25, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 - Backup File size does not match original file size

1. Windows 10 - Backup File size does not match original file size - Similar Threads - Backup File size

2. Library file size. Why are the files the same size as the original?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Library file size. Why are the files the same size as the original?: When I open Explorer, the files in my libraries are the same size as the original.If these were just pointers, shortcuts, wouldnt they be very small.When I search for large files, I see a dupe of each...one in its original folder, and another exactly the same in the library...
  3. Library file size. Why are the files the same size as the original?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Library file size. Why are the files the same size as the original?: When I open Explorer, the files in my libraries are the same size as the original.If these were just pointers, shortcuts, wouldnt they be very small.When I search for large files, I see a dupe of each...one in its original folder, and another exactly the same in the library...
  4. Library file size. Why are the files the same size as the original?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My display size does not match my screen size.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My display size does not match my screen size.: Hello, I am using to different size monitors for my computer. Display 1 is an older 22 inch Sceptre monitor with a 1920 x 1080 resolution that I use as a side monitor for Discord and Facebook. Display 2 is a much newer 28 inch Asus monitor with a 3840 x 2160 resolution....
  6. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  7. Macrium Backup File Size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Macrium Backup File Size: Hello,To backup my windows system I use Macrium reflect (free edition), every 4 - 5 days. One is a full image backup and 4 - 5 days later a differential backup and so on.The system uses 31.8 to 32.2 GB on the disk (no restore point).Usually a full image backup is ~20.6 GB and...
  8. Windows 10 SINGLE Backup file size?!?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 SINGLE Backup file size?!?: Hi, I have been using Windows backup for years....but..this past year (Windows 10), I have noticed, when I go to Manage Windows Backup disk space Backup or restore your files / Manage space / View backups.../ Select a backup period to delete....there is always now only a...
  9. File size not matching

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File size not matching: Hello, I was looking to free up some space on my new laptop and I've found that the weight that is displayed on one of the folders is really wrong. It says that the folder has 960+GB of info but when I go inside that folder and check folder by folder i have around 5gb...
  10. Size of backup file using Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Size of backup file using Windows Backup: I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup Win 7) and after a number of...