Windows 10: Windows 10 Backup Function - Select Subfolders not Backing up

Discus and support Windows 10 Backup Function - Select Subfolders not Backing up in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a new PC, with two hard drives, main one with windows and applications let's call it C: and second one only used for pictures let's call it D:.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bassel_am, Jan 10, 2021.

1. bassel_am Win User

Windows 10 Backup Function - Select Subfolders not Backing up

This is a new PC, with two hard drives, main one with windows and applications let's call it C: and second one only used for pictures let's call it D:. D: contains two folders with thousands of pictures each.

I selected two folders to be backed up with file history:

C:\Users\<USER>\

D:\

I performed the initial backup... Bizarre enough this is what was backed up:

Under C: >>> Only the hidden AppData folder, all other folders were NOT picked up by the backup application. I tried restarting the PC and triggering a manual backup with NO success.

Under D: >>> Empty directory along with the recycle bin content!

Honestly I don't want to pick and chose which subfolder to backup, selecting D:\ should be enough... Same with C:\Users\<USER>\

Any hints into what could be going on?

thx!

Note: If I manually select the two folders under D:\ and add to the backup list, they do get backed up! I just don't believe they need to be selected given that selecting the parent folder SHOULD be enough.

:)

bassel_am, Jan 10, 2021
  2. Arun B J Win User

Backup selects Windows 7 instead of Windows 10

Hi Horacel,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Are you getting any error message?
    • Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any change prior to this issue?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to all settings.

• Click on Update and security.

• Select Backup.

• Click on Add a drive before adding the driver connect the external drive.

• Then you will be able to backup you’re data.

Refer the link below and check if it helps.

Backup and restore your files.

Backup and Restore in Windows 10

Additional information

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/repair-recovery

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jan 10, 2021
  3. Scrizz Win User
    Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Windows 10 Backup Function - Select Subfolders not Backing up

Don't have any function for backup

Hi Iris,

Let's work together on this. We suggest that you follow the following steps to apply the backup to your Windows Phone:

• Sign into the same Microsoft Account used for the backup creation.
    • When prompted to use a backup to restore the handset, select the desired backup and hit ‘next’ to continue with the process.
    • The backup will then download (duration will vary depending on speed of connection and size of backup), you can then enter passwords for restored accounts there and then or configure restored email and social accounts later.

Let us know the results.

Regards.

Justin Sor, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 Backup Function - Select Subfolders not Backing up

1. Windows 10 Backup Function - Select Subfolders not Backing up - Similar Threads - Backup Function Select

2. Windows7 Backup fails to back up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows7 Backup fails to back up: My machine is Intel QuadCore i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 GB RAM, running MS Windows 10 Home v. 1803, build 17134.228 on an MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard with a 1TB SAMSUNG SSD main drive.It has RealTek High Definition Audio and a SAMSUNG U28D590D VDU driven by an NVIDIA QUADRO K620...
  3. Windows7 Backup fails to back up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows7 Backup fails to back up: My machine is Intel QuadCore i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 32 GB RAM, running MS Windows 10 Home v. 1803, build 17134.228 on an MSI B75MA-P45 motherboard with a 1TB SAMSUNG SSD main drive.It has RealTek High Definition Audio and a SAMSUNG U28D590D VDU driven by an NVIDIA QUADRO K620...
  4. Windows7 Backup fails to back up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 "backup" not backing up: On this computer, windows 10, the backup page shows its backing up and also the time it finished.On my office computer, that has just had the operating system re -installed , today I tried to back it up to the flash drive and it would not back up. I had a geek squad tech out...
  6. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 "backup" not backing up: On this computer, windows 10, the backup page shows its backing up and also the time it finished.On my office computer, that has just had the operating system re -installed , today I tried to back it up to the flash drive and it would not back up. I had a geek squad tech out...
  7. windows 10 "backup" not backing up

8. Windows 10 Auto backup not backing up.

Windows 10 Auto backup not backing up.: I have auto backup set to run every 3 hours but it doesn't actually backup. I have "Automatically backup my files" enabled. What should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-auto-backup-not-backing-up/f54e32bd-1859-421a-b43b-7cf8f8ffae29
  9. Windows 10 Backup without backing up files

Windows 10 Backup without backing up files: Is it possible to backup the windows 10 OS without backing up the files? I tried creating a system image to my external HDD 2 TB with 275 GB unused space, but it won't allow me saying it should at least be 460 GB free. I already backed up the files separately. I just want...
  10. Windows 10 backup not backing up all my files

Windows 10 backup not backing up all my files: External Drive When I set up an external backup on my new laptop and run like I did on my former PC, the following occurs: Documents (folder) - 0 content Music (folder) - has content Pictures (folder) - 0 content Videos (folder - has content PC drive Upon checking...