Windows 10: Windows 10 backup not working or failed

Discus and support Windows 10 backup not working or failed in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Being a Windows 10 user, you definitely know how important creating a backup is. By using the Windows Backup and Restore feature, you can backup all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 21, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Windows 10 backup not working or failed

Being a Windows 10 user, you definitely know how important creating a backup is. By using the Windows Backup and Restore feature, you can backup all the system files and create a system restore point. These backup files are useful in case of data corruption, disk failure, and malware infection. Sometimes, due to an error, Windows 10 fails to create a backup. This article lists the possible solutions for Windows 10 backup not working or failed.

Windows 10 backup not working or failed [​IMG]

If your Windows 10 backup did not complete successfully and fails to complete, then one of these suggestions is sure to help you:

1. Delete or move the WindowsImageBackup folder files.
    2. Delete EFI System and Recovery Partitions.
    3. Check the disk for errors and bad sectors.
    4. Assign a new drive letter to System Reserved Partition and set it active.
    5. Disable System Protection and delete the previously created system restore points.
    6. Recreate a new partition.
    7. Update Windows 10 File History.

Let’s describe these methods one by one.

1] Delete or move the WindowsInageBackup folder files

Sometimes, Windows cannot create a system backup due to the previously stored system backup files. This problem can be fixed by either deleting the previous system backup files or moving them to another folder. In my opinion, moving the previous system backup files to another folder is a better choice than deleting them.

2] Delete Recovery Partition and EFI System Partition

Sometimes, when you install Windows 10 on a new hard drive or upgrade to Windows 10, some partitions from the previous Windows version might be left on your system. These partitions can cause system backup to fail. Such an issue can be solved by deleting the Recovery partition and EFI system partition.

Follow the below-listed instructions to delete these partitions:

1. Launch the Command Prompt as an Administrator.
    2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
    3. Type list disk and press Enter. This command will show you all the available disks on your system.
    4. Select the disk from which you want to delete the EFI and Recovery partitions. For this, type the command select disk #and press Enter. In this command, you have to replace the symbol # with the disk number.
    5. Type list partition and press Enter.
    6. Now, you have to select the partition that you want to delete. For this, type select partition # and press Enter. Don’t forget to replace the symbol # with the partition number.
    7. Please check once again that you have selected the right partition as this process cannot be reversed. To delete the selected partition, type delete partition override and press Enter.

Did it help? If not, try the next solution.

3] Check the disk for errors and bad sectors

Sometimes disk errors may also cause Windows 10 backup to fail. Hence, checking the disks for errors and bad sectors can help. For this, you have to use the ChkDsk /r parameter. The /r parameter repairs not only the errors but also the bad sectors on the selected disk.

chkdsk /r X:

Replace the letter X in the above command with your drive letter.

By using this command, you can check all the disks one by one. You will get the following message if the disk is currently in use, which most probably happens when a user scans the C drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N).

On getting this message, simply type Y and press Enter. Your computer will automatically scan the disk with the ChkDsk utility on the next restart.

4] Assign a new drive letter for System Reserved Partition and set it active

Try to assign a new drive letter to the System Reserved Partition on an MBR disk. After that, you have to set it as active. To do so, open the Command Prompt as an Administrator and follow the below instructions:

1. Type diskpart and press Enter.
    2. Type list disk and press Enter. It will display all the disks that you have on your computer.
    3. Now, you have to select the disk on which the System Reserved Partition is created. For this, type the command select disk #and press Enter. Please replace the symbol # with the disk number.
    4. Type list volume and press Enter.
    5. Now, you have to select the disk volume to which you want to assign a new drive letter. For this, type the command select volume # and press Enter. Don’t forget to replace the symbol # with the volume number.
    6. Type assign letter X and press Enter. You can assign any letter.
    7. After assigning a new drive letter, select the same disk partition by typing the same command listed in step 5.
    8. Type active and press Enter. This command will set the System Reserved Partition on the MBR disk as active.

Hope this helps.

5] Disable System Protection and delete the previously created system restore points

Sometimes, disabling the System Protection and deleting the previously created system restore points can help fix Windows 10 backup failure issue.

Following instructions will guide you on how to do this:

1. Type System Protection in the Windows 10 search bar and press Enter.
    2. Select your disk and click Configure.
    3. Now, select Disable System Protection and click on the Delete button.
    4. Click OK.

Repeat these steps to delete the system restore points on different hard drives.

6] Recreate a new partition

If Windows is not able to create a backup on a particular partition, try to create a new partition for Windows 10 backup and see if the issue gets fixed. You can use the Disk Management tool to create new partitions.

7] Update Windows 10 File History

File History is a Windows 10 built-in backup tool. After creating a backup, Windows automatically updates the File History status. One of the reasons for the Windows 10 backup failure is the out-of-date File History. Open the Settings app and check whether the File History status is updating after a backup or not.

We hope, this post helped you solve the issue.

These posts offer specific help:

System Image backup failed with error code0x80780172 | 0x807800A1, 0x800423F3 | 0x807800C5, 0x8078004F | 0x80780038 | 0x807800C5, 0xC03A0005 | 0x807800C5, 0x80070020 | 0x807800C5, 0x80780081.

Windows backup failed with error code0x80780119 | 0x8078011E | 0x8078012D | 0x8100002F | 0x800700E1 | 0x81000019 | 0x80070716 | 0x80070001, 0x81000037, 0x80070003 | 0x80080005 | 0x80004005 | 0x81000038 | 0x81000015.

This article Windows 10 backup not working or failed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 21, 2021

2. Metro 2033 fails to work on windows 10!

I don't recall you mentioning any trouble shooting steps attempted though. At the very least, doing a quick search and checking threads like this very well may have solved it for you. It's listed as compatible on MS' list of games that work with W10 for a reason, because many if not most are able to get it running on W10. At least some level of workaround may be required, but some got it running without doing anything.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/7670/discussions/0/541907867762253418/

Frag Maniac, May 21, 2021
  3. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, May 21, 2021
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, May 21, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 backup not working or failed - Similar Threads - backup working failed

2. Windows 10 Network Backup fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Network Backup fails: I have a WD Home network drive with several shares created on it. One of these shares is called Backup. When I try to assign that drive as my network backup drive Windows tells me it cannot be used as a backup device because The specified network location cannot be used It...
  3. Windows 10 Network Backup fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Network Backup fails: I have a WD Home network drive with several shares created on it. One of these shares is called Backup. When I try to assign that drive as my network backup drive Windows tells me it cannot be used as a backup device because The specified network location cannot be used It...
  4. Windows 10 Network Backup fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Backup in Windows 10 fails

Backup in Windows 10 fails: Using Windows 10 my HP, the Windows backup program won't backup onto an exterior 3TB hard drive. After 2 hours it stops with the error code 0x80070003 and STATUS_WAIT_3....
  6. Windows 10 Backup with SBS2011 failing

Windows 10 Backup with SBS2011 failing: We've had an office with an SBS2011 server and a dozen Windows 7 clients for several years. The server performs regular backups of the clients.The clients are all part of the SBS2011 domain connected initially via "http://severname/connect". We recently installed a couple of...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Backup fails

Windows 10 Pro Backup fails: I am trying to backup my desktop image OS 10 pro to my NAS drive. When I click on the "Back up now" button, the backup progress indicator goes upto halfway thru after that it fails and displays the following message "Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI...
  8. Win 10 backup failed

Win 10 backup failed: I am unable to backup my hp laptop to a 1Tb usb drive. Am getting the message a shadow copy cant be created error 0x81000019 please check VSS and SPP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-backup-failed/dc105320-3f0b-4f1b-a1af-555c5c8ffd5e
  9. Backup fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup fails: Dear reader, Thank you to take some of your precious time to read my post and help me solve the following problem with the system backup Following latest windows update version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 ASUS T200TA ; Windows10 version: 10.0.17134 build 17134 There is no...
  10. backup fail in win 10

backup fail in win 10: Backup in win 10 fails with error code 0x800706BA, I have attempted the reply posted but no 'properties' is shown when I click computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-fail-in-win-10/d9e6a4d5-0754-4fc0-b7a0-57d9387fac76