Windows 10: Windows 10 Backup Settings - With a USB HDD for Backup

Discus and support Windows 10 Backup Settings - With a USB HDD for Backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to make use of the MS Windows 10 backup feature. The help pages are pretty useless directing to simply 'Add a drive...' and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PhilC8, Nov 20, 2019.

1. PhilC8 Win User

Windows 10 Backup Settings - With a USB HDD for Backup

I am trying to make use of the MS Windows 10 backup feature.

The help pages are pretty useless directing to simply 'Add a drive...' and then terminating.

I can navigate in to Settings, Update Backup & Restore and then add a drive. I can event see that it default selects my 'User account' folders to backup most stuff. I can Add another folder or I can set a folder to Exclude. All reasonably straight forward. Now here is what is NOT straight forward;

1. I don't want to leave the USB drive permanently connected (its a risk as it could get corrupted if something ever got into my PC).

2. When I disconnect the drive the settings I had do not seem to be retained for when you do reconnect it. By this I mean, it doesn't seem to auto find the drive for backup, it loses any additional folders I configured to be backed up and the backup process doesn't start.

Is this right? If so then the backup isn't a backup at all and I'll have to find a better backup solution.

Please, No responses suggesting One Drive or other cloud backup other advice gladly received.

Thanks

:)

PhilC8, Nov 20, 2019

2. Setting up a fileserver - help and backup method/recommendations

I'm setting up a basic Windows fileserver to replace a Linkstation NAS. It is a relatively low use/demand, with not more than 50 new or editted files per day, not more than 50MB of changed, and 5MB of new material per day, on average.

The main HDD (640GB) is as follows:

C:\ system partition 20GB
    D:\ data drive, requiring frequent backup 300GB
    E:\ data drive, requiring occasional backup 300GB

I'm looking for advice/suggestions on a suitable data security / backup / recovery method.

My initial thoughts are the following:

1/ Set up Volume Shadow Services to maintain a daily file-copy on the main HDD, which provides rollback to the user in the case of basic file management mistakes
    2/ Install a second HDD (also 640GB) on the machine
    3/ Run Cobian backup to make a copy of the D and E drives on to the second HDD. There would be a full backup once per month, plus a differential backup done daily at 2am.

Is this a good setup? Any other ideas? Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

I have also seen Acronis Backup & Recovery, but this is too expensive. Looking for cheap but effective solutions. Can spend to a small budget, but not hundreds.

Completely Bonkers, Nov 20, 2019
  3. btarunr Win User
    Toshiba Bundling NTI Backup Now EZ with Canvio V6 USB 3.0 HDDs

Toshiba announced the inclusion of NTI- a new cloud version of award-winning Backup Now EZ software in its Canvio 3.0 USB HDD. Toshiba's new high capacity Canvio 3.0 USB hard drives are the first-to-market with NTI Backup Now EZ software pre-installed for simple activation by consumers. Backup Now EZ scans your computer and recommends the best backup options. You then decide between backing up your files to the Toshiba Canvio, to online storage at NTI Cloud, or choose both for the most comprehensive coverage. The software also includes Drive Space Alert that monitors local drives and announces when the drive is getting close to full.

New benefits include online backup options plus step-by-step and customizable backup capabilities. Backup options include the ability to backup a complete PC and/or just selected files and folders. Plus, with the added cloud storage users have peace of mind with access to their data anytime, anywhere they are internet connected.

Windows 10 Backup Settings - With a USB HDD for Backup 183a_thm.jpg

NTI Cloud starts online storage with a free 30-day trial and $1/GB per month in 5GB or 10GB increments thereafter. Users are offered the option to dynamically grow the online portion as needed.

btarunr, Nov 20, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Backup Settings - With a USB HDD for Backup - Similar Threads - Backup Settings USB

2. Windows 10 Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Backup Settings: Hola all.I'm running a really old desktop Zoostorm on Windows 10 which is NOT suitable for Windows 11. I'm trying to change Backup settings to create a System Image using that facility I'm told is available on Windows 10.....but where IS it? I do backup using File History to...
  3. Windows 10 Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Backup Settings: Hola all.I'm running a really old desktop Zoostorm on Windows 10 which is NOT suitable for Windows 11. I'm trying to change Backup settings to create a System Image using that facility I'm told is available on Windows 10.....but where IS it? I do backup using File History to...
  4. Windows 10 Backup Settings

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Backup in Settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Backup in Settings: When I go Into Settings>Backup, to back on an external drive, t takes a long time to 'load'. I then select More Options which eventually 'loads' and then select Backup. Why is there a problem going to the page I want? Also when I put the USB for the external backup drive it...
  6. Backup in Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Backup in Settings: When I go Into Settings>Backup, to back on an external drive, t takes a long time to 'load'. I then select More Options which eventually 'loads' and then select Backup. Why is there a problem going to the page I want? Also when I put the USB for the external backup drive it...
  7. Windows 10 Backup settings

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup settings: Hi I have a Toshiba 2T external hard drive as my backup storage. When I try to use the Windows 10 back setting it only saves a few Kbs and nothing else. I have tried putting the Toshiba into sharing this makes no difference. How do I get it to work correctly. Should I be...
  8. Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Multiple Backup Sets Using Windows Backup: I am using "Windows 7" Backup. This is not about "Create a System Image" feature or any third-party software. I noticed that my backup drive now has many "Backup Sets" under the <My Computer Name>. I think I understand that a "Backup Set" should contain a Full backup and...
  9. Windows 10 backup settings?

Windows 10 backup settings?: Hello, quick question, Does windows 10 backups settings like theme, mail and other settings as windows 8.1 onedrive did? You basically set up a new computer and sign into onedrive and it pulled all your settings onto your new computer. Does it do the same with win 10?...
  10. Backup Settings

Backup Settings: Is there a way to backup Display Brightness settings, including the ones in Control Panel? 67849