Windows 10: Windows 10 Backup Versus Acronis Backup 12

Discus and support Windows 10 Backup Versus Acronis Backup 12 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Acronis Backup 12 I am curious if there is any advantage of using a commercial backup software when we already have Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stecyk, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Stecyk Win User

Windows 10 Backup Versus Acronis Backup 12

• Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    • Acronis Backup 12

I am curious if there is any advantage of using a commercial backup software when we already have Windows 10 Backup. I am not using sophisticated features or elaborate configurations. Instead, I want to have peace of mind knowing that I can backup my computer on a daily or weekly basis.

I have been a long time user of Acronis True Image for Home and then more recently Acronis Backup. I am comfortable with the software and have my backups. I am wondering, though, using Windows Backup would be an equally good or better choice? Does anyone have any thoughts or reasons why one method is superior to the other?

:)

Stecyk, Sep 12, 2016
  2. ENCmdTX Win User

Naive user needs assistance with encrypting new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home edition and Seagate backupplus drive with hub

Stepwise advice appreciated. Long ago I had a computer expert and a self-encrypting external backup drive but both are long gone. I am confused about using bitlocker for both encryptions versus using a third party (Acronis?) to backup the Seagate drive.
    Thank you for any simply put info.

ENCmdTX, Sep 12, 2016
  3. The app didnt start Error

after installing windows 10 and softwares, i create a backup from windows with acronis true image

i restore my backup with acronis true image rescue disk

Mehrdad Aria, Sep 12, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

I hate Acronis software since an earlier version left low level disk drivers/filters installed after uninstalling Acronis backup software and these drives were very hard to remove.

Most people on this forum use Macrium Reflect Free which is an excellent, versatile and reliable product.

Steve C, Sep 12, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Windows 10 Backup and Restore has been noted to fail for apparently inexplicable reasons and is deemed relatively unreliable by a number here from experience. Please feel free to search the forum.

A program such as Macrium Reflect (free) provides a solution which
    - is more robust
    - more reliable
    - more flexible
    - more feature rich

If you are happy with Acronis, that's fine. The most important thing is you have the security of reliable disk images with all their advantages, and then additionally file backup if needed.

dalchina, Sep 12, 2016
  6. Mooly Win User
    I was a long time user of Acronis but finally threw in the towel at the start of the year as the latest offering was hopelessly buggy and unreliable to use.

Windows own disk imaging is (imo) pretty good but it does have a problem with some W10 features in that they are not imaged and restored correctly. Its a minor thing but annoying if you use one of the items that isn't restored correctly (such as user created photo albums).

Macrium I'm finding to be very good but (and no one seems to take any notice of this) has exactly the same issue as Windows own utility in that exactly the same problems are apparent in restored images. The good news is that Macrium is configurable and a simple setting change fixes the issue.

Solved A challenge for the pro's. Can you help identify a reg key please. - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Macrium uses the same Microsoft VSS (volume shadow service) technology and so this is why both versions (at least in default state) can not correctly create and restore a W10 image.

Mooly, Sep 12, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    What is the 'issue'? I've restored images with no problems (I think).

Steve C, Sep 12, 2016
  8. Mooly Win User

Mooly, Sep 12, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I don't use Photo App albums so this issue doesn't bother me so long as it's the only restore problem. Does unticking that box "exclude all VSS writers..." in the post you referenced have other consequences we should note?

Steve C, Sep 12, 2016
  10. Mooly Win User
    Mooly, Sep 12, 2016
  11. Stecyk Win User
    Thanks for replying, Steve. I am aware that many don't like Acronis and had issues with it. I also saw in the Acronis forums that many have switched to Macrium. I switched from the Acronis True Image for Home to Backup, which seems to be better. If I continue experience further difficulties, I will consider Macrium.

Stecyk, Sep 12, 2016
  12. Stecyk Win User
    dalchina, thank you for your reply. Yes, for now, I am inclined to stick with my current solution now that you mention Windows 10 Backup and Restore has its own issues. Because I can always start from scratch by reloading the operating system and software, my main concern is my data. My operating system and software are on the C drive, while my data is on separate drives.

Stecyk, Sep 12, 2016
  13. altae Win User

For data backup there are a lot of options available (free and paid). E.g. there is PureSync (paid), Areca (free), Fastcopy (free)... And of course the renown backup solutions like Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, EaseUS... all provide data backup features. So the choice is up to you. But if you want a piece of advice: I personally would avoid Acronis. It used to be a great program but the latest versions have rendered the program unreliable and thus useless to me. Of course that's only my experience. I bet there are others out there who are perfectly satisfied with Acronis.

altae, Sep 12, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    System imaging means you can restore your system from an image in a tiny fraction of the time to install the OS, do all its updates, install programs, configure hardware and settings.

The latter might take you 3 or 4 hours... minimum- for me it takes some days from scratch.

Restoring an image can be pretty quick.

dalchina, Sep 12, 2016
  15. Stecyk Win User
    Perhaps if I were just starting backups, then I might choose a different solution. I have some tib (Acronis files) stored on hard drives from a while ago of archived stuff. So far, Acronis is meeting my needs. I appreciate your advice, however.

Stecyk, Sep 12, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Backup Versus Acronis Backup 12 - Similar Threads - Backup Versus Acronis

2. Backup Windows 10 - backup not completing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Windows 10 - backup not completing: I have a 2tb laptop with Windows 10. I am trying to create a system image and backup my important folders. I am using a Seagate 2tb external hard drive. I have several failed attempts at backing up because I receive a 'insufficient disk space' message. This is after...
  3. Windows Image Backup versus Reset This PC

Windows Image Backup versus Reset This PC: Newbie question: If I want to reset my computer, is it easier to go to Settings/Updates & Security/Recovery/Reset this PC. Or, should I make a Windows Image Backup? I recently asked about what was done in place of the old "Full Restore." People answered me but I feel out of...
  4. advantages of File History versus WD software for backup?

advantages of File History versus WD software for backup?: What are the advantages of using Windows 10 File History as compared to WD backup software on WD MyBook to back up files? Can one use both to the same WD exterval drive?...
  5. Acronis or Macrium as a "home" backup solution?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Acronis or Macrium as a "home" backup solution?: Hello. I don't know if I should buy Acronis or Macrium for my backup. I want to backup in the following way: 1 backup a week, incremental backup, keeping the last 4 chain of backup (so I want some sort of autocleaning for older chains). One backup job is in 2 parts, one...
  6. Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup

Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup: Should I switch Windows 10 backup off and is Acronis Backup a good program. If so I will order Acronis online. Thanks. I had a problem recently where Windows 10(7) backup would stop at 97% and run all night. I never had this happen before until the recent update to version...
  7. Acronis 2018 doens't backup all my partition.

Acronis 2018 doens't backup all my partition.: Hi, I have a dual boot computer with Acronis 2018 on windows 10 and Acronis 2010 on windows 7. I mainly use windows 10 these days that has Acronis 2018 installed. If I backup my windows 10 with Acronis 18 (within windows 10 itself) I find that there is about 14gb of my...
  8. Backup Disk image issue- does fragmentation transfer ? Acronis

Backup Disk image issue- does fragmentation transfer ? Acronis: The install on my wd black primary drive became corrupted. Tried for hours using dism and even a reinstall and nothing worked. I have a wd blue drive as my backup image. It is fine other than being heavily fragmented. It was at 20 and have it down to 12. If I use Acronis now...
  9. Backup/Recovery tools - Acronis vs Macrium

Backup/Recovery tools - Acronis vs Macrium: Please forgive me for not reading the whole "Window 10 Recovery Tools" thread before posting this, but that's a very long thread. I am a long time user of Acronis True Image. Lately I've run into a few peculiarities that have me looking at alternatives. A number of people...
  10. Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.

Restoring window backup made with acronis on SSD to a standard HDD.: Hi folks, hope everyone is well. I have made some backup of windows 10 that was installed on a SSD and just to make sure it would work ok, I installed the backup on a standard HDD, but getting lots of problems when I actually reach the desktop, monitor keeps flickering...