Windows 10: Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

Discus and support Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, somethings has been changed in my win10 64b pro (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.134]) box, and now I have issues with bat files: When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vaderetro, Nov 27, 2018.

1. vaderetro Win User

Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

Hi,

somethings has been changed in my win10 64b pro (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.134]) box, and now I have issues with bat files:

When I double click on them, I get a cmd, empty that shows up for a couple of seconds, and then closes. The .bat is NOT run
    Of I open a cmd can cd to the dir containing the .bat, and I type the first letters of the .bat, TAB does not complete the file name, it does complete filenames of exe files.

If I run the .bat from the cmd I opened in 2., it DOES run fine
    I have checked "assoc .bat" and "ftype batfile" and both return expected values.
    Any insight would be super useful...

:)

vaderetro, Nov 27, 2018
  2. creeve4 Win User

Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file

Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt and invoke the bat file it also runs. This is true for every bat file I have tried in all of the different folders and drives I have tried.

For example, I created Test.bat in M:\Downloads\. The content of this file is just one command "pause".
    This is the error message I get when double-clicking the file in explorer:

Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked [​IMG]

Right-click and "Run as administrator":

And from a command prompt:

I have tried the following:
    1. File Association Fixer
    2. Checked the system environment variable COMSPEC. It is correct: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe.
    3. sfc /scannow - the result was "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Any ideas?

creeve4, Nov 27, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

Double-click to run .bat or .cmd - "Windows cannot find..." the bat/cmd file.

Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat and .cmd files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt
    and invoke the files they also run. This is true for every bat and cmd file I have tried in all of the different folders and drives I have tried.

For example, I created Test.bat in M:\Downloads\. The content of this file is just one command "pause".

This is the error message I get when double-clicking the file in explorer:

Right-click and "Run as administrator":

And from a command prompt:

I have tried the following:

1. File Association Fixer

2. Checked the system environment variable COMSPEC. It is correct: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe.

3. sfc /scannow - the result was "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Any ideas?

ChrisReeve4, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

1. Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked - Similar Threads - bat files being

2. Mouse Double-Clicking when Single-Clicked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse Double-Clicking when Single-Clicked: This issue began about a month ago and I have been dealing with it ever since, and I am at my wits end trying to resolve it. I have researched, read multiple solutions, and implemented quite a few of them to resolve the double clicking issue but none of them have worked....
  3. Is it safe to run this bat file?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it safe to run this bat file?: Spo I was wondering how to get sandbox on windows 10 home and I came across this forum saying that I could run this bat file to try and install it.Enable Windows Sandbox Feature in Windows 10 Home Edition Tutorials tenforums.comThe bat file I downloaded was not blocked by...
  4. Can't run .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't run .bat files: I haven't run a .bat file in quite a while, so perhaps I unknowingly did something along the was that prompted this problem. I was trying to run Brinks "Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat", but instead the file opens in my text editor. I disassociated .bat in that text...
  5. Double-clicking .bat, .vbs, .reg do NOT work.

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking .bat, .vbs, .reg do NOT work.: This morning double-clicking .bat, .vbs, .reg etc do NOT work, although double-clicking all programs [ .exe and shortcuts ] do. I thought I would see if there is a quick fix for this. I have reset the default permissions etc etc. I don't want to spend too much time on this as...
  6. double clicking on a file in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    double clicking on a file in file explorer: when I double click on a file in file explorer the file comes up and so does a blank file in Word. How can I stop the empty file from coming up?...
  7. Bat Files Won't Run?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat Files Won't Run?: Basically I'm installing BattlEye for a Steam game and I click the .bat file in the game's subfolder to download it (when I was prompted to download it I clicked no but now I practically need it for most servers), and I download the .bat from the main website and it also...
  8. Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file: Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt and invoke the bat file it also runs. This is true for every bat file I have...
  9. Trouble running .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble running .bat files: Hi, I'm trying to run .bat files on Windows 10, but it tells me that "This app can't run on your PC". It doesn't matter what I use it for, .bat files just won't run anyway. Are .bat files no longer supported? (ran fine on Windows 7) Any workarounds? I'm no expert on...
  10. Can't Run .Bat Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Run .Bat Files: I try to run .bat files and the just run in note pad. There is no "open with" option. 48199