Windows 10: Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

Discus and support Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, somethings has been changed in my win10 64b pro (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.134]) box, and now I have issues with bat files: When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vaderetro, Nov 27, 2018.

1. vaderetro Win User

Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

Hi,

somethings has been changed in my win10 64b pro (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.134]) box, and now I have issues with bat files:

When I double click on them, I get a cmd, empty that shows up for a couple of seconds, and then closes. The .bat is NOT run
    Of I open a cmd can cd to the dir containing the .bat, and I type the first letters of the .bat, TAB does not complete the file name, it does complete filenames of exe files.

If I run the .bat from the cmd I opened in 2., it DOES run fine
    I have checked "assoc .bat" and "ftype batfile" and both return expected values.
    Any insight would be super useful...

:)

vaderetro, Nov 27, 2018
  2. creeve4 Win User

Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file

Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt and invoke the bat file it also runs. This is true for every bat file I have tried in all of the different folders and drives I have tried.

For example, I created Test.bat in M:\Downloads\. The content of this file is just one command "pause".
    This is the error message I get when double-clicking the file in explorer:

Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked [​IMG]

Right-click and "Run as administrator":

And from a command prompt:

I have tried the following:
    1. File Association Fixer
    2. Checked the system environment variable COMSPEC. It is correct: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe.
    3. sfc /scannow - the result was "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Any ideas?

creeve4, Nov 27, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

Double-click to run .bat or .cmd - "Windows cannot find..." the bat/cmd file.

Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat and .cmd files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt
    and invoke the files they also run. This is true for every bat and cmd file I have tried in all of the different folders and drives I have tried.

For example, I created Test.bat in M:\Downloads\. The content of this file is just one command "pause".

This is the error message I get when double-clicking the file in explorer:

Right-click and "Run as administrator":

And from a command prompt:

I have tried the following:

1. File Association Fixer

2. Checked the system environment variable COMSPEC. It is correct: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe.

3. sfc /scannow - the result was "Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Any ideas?

ChrisReeve4, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked

1. Windows 10: bat files not being run when double clicked - Similar Threads - bat files being

2. Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mouse started double clicking on single click file randomly.: ***Modify title from: "Save As" does not obey my "double click" setting, but other file explore works properly with a double click to open a folder *** I have my File Explorer settings adjusted to use a double click to open a folder, and it always works properly EXCEPT when...
  3. Mouse double clicking on single click on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse double clicking on single click on Windows 10: Mouse double clicking on single click on windows 10, pretty sure its software issue as: 1) it does not happen on another windows 8 laptop 2) I have managed to solve it temporarily (1 day) after uninstalling all drivers through device manager and restarting my laptop. Also...
  4. Bat Files Won't Run?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bat Files Won't Run?: Basically I'm installing BattlEye for a Steam game and I click the .bat file in the game's subfolder to download it (when I was prompted to download it I clicked no but now I practically need it for most servers), and I download the .bat from the main website and it also...
  5. Cannot run apps by double clicking from explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot run apps by double clicking from explorer: I'm not sure when this started, just recently I believe - probably within the last two to three weeks. If I download something, go to that folder and double-click the app to run the install, nothing happens. If I leave the mouse icon there all you see is the arrow and the...
  6. Suddenly can't run bat files as administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Suddenly can't run bat files as administrator: New, weird, behavior -- If I right click on a bat file, and Run as Administrator, all I get is a brief flash (perhaps a command window?). Just double clicking on it runs as expected (though not elevated, which is what I need). If I open an elevated command window and run...
  7. Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-click to run .bat - Windows cannot find file: Recently (seemingly out of nowhere) my Windows 10 PC stopped running .bat files when I double-click on them. If I right-click and "Run as administrator" the files run. If I open a command prompt and invoke the bat file it also runs. This is true for every bat file I have...
  8. Trouble running .bat files

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble running .bat files: Hi, I'm trying to run .bat files on Windows 10, but it tells me that "This app can't run on your PC". It doesn't matter what I use it for, .bat files just won't run anyway. Are .bat files no longer supported? (ran fine on Windows 7) Any workarounds? I'm no expert on...
  9. Can't Run .Bat Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Run .Bat Files: I try to run .bat files and the just run in note pad. There is no "open with" option. 48199
  10. When double clicking a folder, cmd tries to run instead of opening it.

in Windows 10 Support
    When double clicking a folder, cmd tries to run instead of opening it.: When i try opening a folder, an error pops up. That's because cmd is my default action when double clicking. This all started after installing some Windows 10 updates. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of cmd on my context menu? it's really annoying!*Mad [img]...