Windows 10: Windows 10 best practices still include alternate page file locations?

Discus and support Windows 10 best practices still include alternate page file locations? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Back in the heady days of tweaking Windows 7 installed on an SSD, there were a number of recommendations to get best/fastest/goodest functionality. One... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by obieephyhm, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Windows 10 best practices still include alternate page file locations?

Back in the heady days of tweaking Windows 7 installed on an SSD, there were a number of recommendations to get best/fastest/goodest functionality. One moved user profiles, temp dirs, (just about anything where data was read/written and rewritten) off the SSD to an HDD. Now, being forced to use Win10pro, I'm trying to figure out how much of this is still considered a good idea. It is a 1TB SSD and it has most of it's space available now that I moved the profiles; My temp files, for whatever reason are still pretty much where they were before the transition. But I'm unclear on one issue: creating multiple page file locations.

In my Win7 setup, I had the minimum required pagefile set up on the SSD and then had two small partitions on HDDs with large pagefiles filling them (as I recall, it was all based on a calculation of available RAM and some other voodoo I no longer remember). And, for the most part, I had a pretty nice setup for office work and gaming and a bit of creative work (although most of that was done on my DAW).

What is the current recommendation for page file setups for a 16GB RAM system?

:)

obieephyhm, Mar 25, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 25, 2021
  3. psyko12 Win User
    Page File

Set minimum and maximum to a constant number as suggested by others, that will help reduce fragmentation on the drive coz of different page file sizing.

psyko12, Mar 25, 2021
  4. jt12345 Win User

Windows 10 best practices still include alternate page file locations?

page/swap file size and location for 2-3 hard drives

Most recommend putting the page file on a seperate hard drive from Windows. So that one hard drive is reading and another hard drive is writting.

MS recommends page file sizes of a Min 1.5X to a Max 3X system RAM. But they also say to have a page file on your OS drive for errors. That Windows will choose the Page file on the drive that Windows is not on.

So my setups currently are:

With 2 hard drives...
    --Windows/games/programs on 1st hard drive
    --Page File on 2nd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096 page file size)

With 3 hard drives...
    --Windows on 1st hard drive
    --Games/programs on 2nd hard drive
    --Page file on 3rd hard drive (2 times the size of system ram@2gb, so 2048X2=4096mb page file size)

How are these configurations?

Does the maximum page/swap file size of 3X system ram apply to a single hard drive or all hard drives with swap files on the system total.

Ie. can i put from example above a swap file on my system drive 4096mb and another page file on other drives of 4096mb each for a total of 2 page files or 4096X2 that is greater than the 3x system ram??

thanks

jt12345, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 best practices still include alternate page file locations?

1. Windows 10 best practices still include alternate page file locations? - Similar Threads - best practices still

2. Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices: Hi,Where can I find a list of best practice settings for Defender for Endpoint agent settings as defined by Group Policy?I am currently reviewing the settings my org uses, and would also like to know if I have missed any settings too.Best regards,Dan...
  3. Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices: Hi,Where can I find a list of best practice settings for Defender for Endpoint agent settings as defined by Group Policy?I am currently reviewing the settings my org uses, and would also like to know if I have missed any settings too.Best regards,Dan...
  4. Defender for Endpoint - Best Practices

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  6. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  7. RDS WS2019, best practices

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDS WS2019, best practices: Good morning, I'd need to understand the best practices to deploy a RDS environment with 2 session hsts and 1 connection broker, The question in detail is: The Clients should connect RDP to Session hosts maybe with round robin DNS entries or to Connection broker?I cannot find...
  8. Still best security practice to use CTRL ALT DEL on Win10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Still best security practice to use CTRL ALT DEL on Win10?: Does Windows 10 still recommends the use of pressing the CTRL ALT DEL before logging into Windows? Reason asking, because I remember that almost every Windows NT/2000/XP/7 machine had it for security reasons and was the recommended security policy by most enterprises and...
  9. Best explorer.exe alternatives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Best explorer.exe alternatives?: better if they're open. submitted by /u/yotalorenzo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ibwura/best_explorerexe_alternatives/
  10. Microsoft Update Best Practices - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Update Best Practices - Windows 10: I have a classroom of 30 laptop computers running Windows 10. I am constantly having to run "Check for Updates" and "Check online for updates from Microsoft Update" to keep all my laptops running and updated. What are thebest practices to keep my laptops updated...