Windows 10: Windows 10 Bitlocker takes a long time after boot to unlock drives

Discus and support Windows 10 Bitlocker takes a long time after boot to unlock drives in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; HI I have an issue that's impacting multiple apps. I have 5 drives, all encrypted with Bitlocker and all set auto-unlock on logon. My system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GJ78, May 7, 2020.

1. GJ78 Win User

Windows 10 Bitlocker takes a long time after boot to unlock drives

HI

I have an issue that's impacting multiple apps.

I have 5 drives, all encrypted with Bitlocker and all set auto-unlock on logon. My system drive is a NVME system drive only, all other files are on the secondary drives made up of a mixture of SSD, NVMe and one HDD.

The issue is that the secondary drives don't unlock until up to a minute after Desktop appears after logon. This means Onedrive, Dropbox, Steam and other apps effectively crash on every boot as they can't find their respective folders/files.

Bitlocker unlocks via a password at the start of the boot as I don't have a TPM Module. I've had this setup since the Win 8 days and it's was never an issue until Win 10.

Screenshots below. In the first, my E: the hdd isn't even showing, it appeared about 10 seconds later. This is how it looks for up to a minute, before they all unlock and their proper drive names show. The error message below is what I get if I click on one of the drives below and is confusing, its saying the drive is unlocked but protected.

Windows 10 Bitlocker takes a long time after boot to unlock drives 607617c0-cccd-49b8-8a68-2971a8f429a0?upload=true.png

Windows 10 Bitlocker takes a long time after boot to unlock drives 6317caa1-f24c-4f88-ba6d-5d2c9c159b2f?upload=true.png

Thanks for the assistance.

:)

GJ78, May 7, 2020
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, May 7, 2020
  3. mcraygsx Win User
    Windows 8.1 PRO unable to unlock Bitlocked drive

I used a Bitlocker in Windows 8 PRO to Lock my Internal SATA Drive. I have formatted my PC twice in past and I was able to unlock it after each fresh installation of Windows 8.

But Recently I did a fresh Installation of Windows using same Software and CDKEY. This time I did upgraded to Windows 8.1 including all the latest patches.
    Problem is When I click on my Drive, Windows give me the message " DO YOU WANT TO FORM IT" When I do click Cancel. I do the following message "The
    volume does not contain a recognized file system....."
    Here is the screenshot of error message
    Imgur

Disk management shows a healthy Drive:
    Imgur

I have done fresh installation of windows several times before but never had this issue. I was always able to restore security settings and unlock my drive using BITLOCKER.

I have tried to unlock the drive with just Windows 8 pro and the problem persists.

Additional Info:
    - Control Panel > BitLocker, Software no longer shows my drive under it.
    - Hardware specs remain the same before or after the issue.

Any tech support would be great.

mcraygsx, May 7, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 8.1 PRO unable to unlock Bitlocked drive

That's not good. You can try re-installing Windows 8 and unlocking the drive, and disabling Bitlocker on that drive, before upgrading to 8.1. Though I have a bad feeling that even going back to Windows 8 might not help, I have a feeling the drive just bit the dust and corrupted the file system...

newtekie1, May 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Bitlocker takes a long time after boot to unlock drives - Similar Threads - Bitlocker takes long

2. Windows taking long time to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows taking long time to boot: Hii , My laptop is taking long time to boot. It is stuck at welcome home screen for about 3-4 mins. This was not a issue till yesterday. I think some automatic update caused this issue. I tried updating my windows to latest version but it won't work. I updated gpu...
  3. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot: It's my first time asking a question here . Hope i get some answers. I upgraded to windows 10 home from windows 8.1. My Windows 10 takes about 8 minutes too boot up My Notebook specifications are as follows. It is a HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i3 4005U ,...
  4. Windows 10 (2004) takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 (2004) takes a long time to boot: I have a windows install I occasionally use for some software and gaming but it will sit at the blue spinning circle screen before loading the lock screen for a good minute or two on boot. Ive checked my hard drive’s SMART values and it is in good working order. I don’t know...
  5. Windows 10 takes long time to boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes long time to boot: Hi, I had this problem since 2 days ago, it will take long time to boot and stuck on black screen with spinning circle for the longest time before I can sign in into my laptop. I have been trying to fix it with the internet help(windows 10 trouble shooting, reddit, etc)....
  6. Windows 10 Taking long time during unlocking system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Taking long time during unlocking system: WINDOWS 10 DOMAIN JOINED MACHINE TAKING LONG TIME DURING UNLOCK Its happening with Windows 10 Dell Lapotp, If machine is connected to corporate network then it takes about 30 seconds to unlock the machine login. OS- Windows 10 64 bit Enterprise Edition -1903 build can...
  7. Windows 10 Taking long time during unlocking system

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Taking long time during unlocking system: WINDOWS 10 DOMAIN JOINED MACHINE TAKING LONG TIME DURING UNLOCK Its happening with Windows 10 Dell Lapotp, If machine is connected to corporate network then it takes about 30 seconds to unlock the machine login. OS- Windows 10 64 bit Enterprise Edition -1903 build can...
  8. w10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    w10 takes a long time to boot: My w10 takes a long time to boot, the desktop apps load , then grey out and load again along with the apps pinned to start bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-takes-a-long-time-to-boot/63448655-da7a-4382-add5-07bcbccd81f0
  9. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot: So, I've encountered this issue lately where Windows 10 takes considerably longer to boot than before. (Usually 4 to 5 minutes) It used to boot under 30 seconds before so I don't know what went wrong here. So, the screen with the Windows logo and loading circle...
  10. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown: I have a laptop with a slightly damaged motherboard, which does not allow the laptop to derive power from the battery. Consequently, in case of a power shutdown, the laptop shuts down. The booting after this unexpected shutdown takes a very long time, during which the disk...