Windows 10: Windows 10 black screen with cursor. Worse than you think

Discus and support Windows 10 black screen with cursor. Worse than you think in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop that is stuck in a WIndows 10 boot loop. When I boot to recovery Startup repair, after the loading screen with windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joseph Kreif, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Windows 10 black screen with cursor. Worse than you think

I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop that is stuck in a WIndows 10 boot loop.

When I boot to recovery Startup repair, after the loading screen with windows logo, it goes to black screen with no cursor. When I touch the screen, I can spawn the cursor. The cursor can go off the edge of the screen to the button and the right, so that's probably why I can't find it without the touch screen.

I'm just describing as much detail as I can.

Anyways, WindowsRE or w/e it's called boots to the black screen. So that's out of the question for help.

I put a Windows 10 USB in, and boot to it. I get the WIndows 10 logo loading screen, and then same as WindowsRE, it goes to the black screen issue.

Screen works perfectly fine, and I even ran on built in diagnostic tests for the display, and all other hardware everything passed.

My guess is this has something to do with Lenovo's Yoga screen manfunctioning. I'd think it wouldn't be an issue in RE, but it is. The next thing I can do is boot from a Live Linux OS.

Please do not say "hAvE yOu tRiEd cOnTrOl aLt dElEtE?".

I can't

1. The computer is in bootloop for the OS. There is no chance to get to that point.

2. WindowsRE doesn't have Ctrl-Alt-Delete

3. Windows 10 USB doesn't either.

:)

Joseph Kreif, Mar 5, 2020

2. Windows 10 Black Screen, No Cursor

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Please follow the below suggestion and check if that helps.

If you see the black screen only
    after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
    If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps.

Perform SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system
    files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 ( Applies to Windows 10 as well).

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Peer_Sam Win User
    Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 5, 2020
  4. jds63 Win User

Windows 10 black screen with cursor. Worse than you think

Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 black screen with cursor. Worse than you think

1. Windows 10 black screen with cursor. Worse than you think - Similar Threads - black screen cursor

2. Black Screen With Cursor In Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen With Cursor In Windows 10: When i turn on the computer and Login. After Startup i have a Black Screen with CursorI Restarted and when is restarted and i logged in it Was a black screen of cursorSo i restarted to safe mode and open Task Manager, Settings And File ExplorerAnd i restarted the computer and...
  3. Windows 10 with black screen and cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 with black screen and cursor: I recently bought a hp 6000 mini tower, and after plugging it in and getting it to boot up, I was met with a black screen and only the cursor. I tried using the turn off and on again 3 time to get into the menu, which was successful, but when I tried to put it into safe mode,...
  4. Windows 10 Black Screen with Cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Black Screen with Cursor: When I finished a new update for windows 10, my screen was black and the only thing that worked was moving the cursor. I tried using shortcuts to boot device manager, safe mode, reset the pcOmen doesn’t let it complete, and tried hard resetting. Any help would be much...
  5. Network box grayed out can't choose any networks. WORSE THAN YOU THINK!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network box grayed out can't choose any networks. WORSE THAN YOU THINK!: So yesterday I noticed my network box was sort of grayed out and I could only see the settings option. I ran "netcfg -d" 3 times, and dism scan to no avail. I checked my network adapter and it said that the hardware was unplugged or something "(Code 45)" I uninstalled,...
  6. Why does Forbes think Windows 10 is worse than bubonic plague?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why does Forbes think Windows 10 is worse than bubonic plague?: The several Windows 10 devices we have in our family have at least 15-20 combined years of use on the operating system, and, essentially, have all run flawlessly. No hiccups, no surprises, no quirks, no headaches. But in the "google news feed" on my phone, every day, there...
  7. Black screen with bigger than normal cursor

Black screen with bigger than normal cursor: Model: Lenovo Legion L530 8gb ram Hdd 1tb 7200rpm Core i5 8300h Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti My laptop updated almost a month ago to windows 10 1903 In the last days my laptop has been working great, relatively fast boot times, hard drive not going to 100%, etc. But last...
  8. BLACK SCREEN WITH CURSOR IN WINDOWS 10

BLACK SCREEN WITH CURSOR IN WINDOWS 10: DEAR TEAM, WE ARE HATING WITH THIS PROBLEM, I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING BUT STILL CURSOR IS THERE ON BLACK SCREEN, I HAVE DONE RESET / FACTORY RESET ....ETC .....TASK MANAGER ALSO NOT OPEN, SECOND MONITOR ALSO NOT WORK..... I HAVE CHECK ALL BUT WINDOWS IS VERY BAD. SHAME ON...
  9. Just when you think it can't be worse!

in Windows 10 Support
    Just when you think it can't be worse!: I've had 10 for a few months now. During that time I've had several automatic updates. Most have been unnoticeable, a few others were anti productive. The first and the last (two days ago) have been horrible. When I first downloaded 10 I immediately lost my CD/DVD drive. No...
  10. My Black Screen is worse than your Black Screen....

in Windows 10 Support
    My Black Screen is worse than your Black Screen....: Pardon my verbosity, but I want to make sure myself clear. My computer is your basic homebrew office desktop: Asus H87-M-E MB with Intel Core i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 8 GB RAM in a Cooler Master Case the size of a doghouse. No neon or gaming stuff, but it worked perfectly....