Windows 10: Windows 10 "black screens" short time after Cortana prompts

Discus and support Windows 10 "black screens" short time after Cortana prompts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello! I have been having this issue for quite some time, so I have more than likely tried a lot of the possible fixes that people may post to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Movalentine, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Windows 10 "black screens" short time after Cortana prompts

Hello!

I have been having this issue for quite some time, so I have more than likely tried a lot of the possible fixes that people may post to this question.

That being said, I will do my best to describe the issue in detail.

Also, I am currently running Windows 10 on this system and it is a laptop.

First of all:

This is without doing anything to try and fix the computer and booting it normally. It is a DELL and so it will boot the logo and then the standard black screen afterwards. I would expect a Win10 logo to appear after that, but this was also before i used the installation media .ISO file. After the black screen has been up for awhile, the screen will start to go full black at around 5 secons intervals, then return to its “lit” black screen after that interval. This continues infinitely until the computer is turned off.

(*This was the first part of my problem*)

Secondly:

Once knowing that the above problem was present, I used the .ISO image on my USB to try and restore the OS. After getting through most of the process, (all of the way to when Cortana starts asking you questions about keyboard layouts and networks), I would start filling out the information, but then all of a sudden my screen would go black without a cursor. Similarly, without the flickering, as from above. I thought maybe it was the same issue and then retried the entire process. After doing it again, around the same time while doing the Cortana prompts, the screen went black and a faint powering-down-tick sound came from the computer.

Conclusion:

This is ultimately all that has happened so far and I have been trying to factory reset and fully clean the system back to a default state. I had run diagnostics on the entire system and it appears that it could have an issue in the HDD, but this is sort of uncertain. Everything else seems to be running fine.

I am sorry for the lengthy question, but this has been tediously bugging for awhile.

Thank you

J

:)

Movalentine, Nov 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 “black screens” short time after Cortana prompts

Hello!

I have been having this issue for quite some time, so I have more than likely tried a lot of the possible fixes that people may post to this question.

That being said, I will do my best to describe the issue in detail.

Also, I am currently running Windows 10 on this system and it is a laptop.

First of all:

This is without doing anything to try and fix the computer and booting it normally. It is a DELL and so it will boot the logo and then the standard black screen afterwards. I would expect a Win10 logo to appear after that, but this was also
    before i used the installation media .ISO file. After the black screen has been up for awhile, the screen will start to go full black at around 5 secons intervals, then return to its “lit” black screen after that interval. This continues infinitely
    until the computer is turned off.

(*This was the first part of my problem*)

Secondly:

Once knowing that the above problem was present, I used the .ISO image on my USB to try and restore the OS. After getting through most of the process, (all of the way to when Cortana starts asking you questions about keyboard layouts and networks), I would
    start filling out the information, but then all of a sudden my screen would go black without a cursor. Similarly, without the flickering, as from above. I thought maybe it was the same issue and then retried the entire process. After doing it again, around
    the same time while doing the Cortana prompts, the screen went black and a faint powering-down-tick sound came from the computer.

Conclusion:

This is ultimately all that has happened so far and I have been trying to factory reset and fully clean the system back to a default state. I had run diagnostics on the entire system and it appears that it could have an issue in the HDD, but this is sort
    of uncertain. Everything else seems to be running fine.

I am sorry for the lengthy question, but this has been tediously bugging for awhile.

Thank you

J

Movalentine, Nov 25, 2018
  3. Windows 10 “black screens” short time after Cortana prompts

Hi Movalentine,

I would suggest you to follow these steps:

Step 1. Run chkdsk

To do it, you can identify if the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" error that makes SFC stop working happens because of disk errors.

1) Click Win key and press "cmd".

2) Right-click on the search results and select Run as Administrator.

3) Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control.And if you are asked to enter your administrator password, make sure you enter it correctly.

4) In the Command Prompt window, Type "CHKDSK C: /R" and press Enter.

5) When asked to schedule checking disk, type y and press Enter again.

6) Reboot your PC and wait until the CHKDSK finished to check disk and fix the detected errors.

7) Run SFC again to check if it can complete.

Step 2. Modify the security descriptors on the winsxs folder

If the "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" error meesage still pops up, it suggest that the problem has nothing to do with the disk errors. Then continue to check another possible reason - the SFC utility cannot access the
    winsxs folder (C:\Windows\winsxs) because of some issues with the folder's security descriptors.

1) Open the command propmpt by following the above steps.

2) In the Command Prompt window, Type "ICACLS C:\Windows\winsxs" and press Enter.

3) Wait until the command is executed, then close the Command Prompt.

4) Restart your computer and run SFC again to check if the problem has been fixed.

Let me know

AngelCarreno, Nov 25, 2018
  4. Windows 10 "black screens" short time after Cortana prompts

Windows 10 “black screens” short time after Cortana prompts

Hi,

My name is Angel. I am an Independent Advisor. Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow these Methods:

Method 1: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

1. Open Command Prompt.

2. Select “Run as Administrator”.

3. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit Enter.

Now check for the issue.

Method 2: Run the DISM Tool.

If the issue persists, I would have you run the DISM tool to check the system health and will try to restore the files.

1. Click on 'Start'.

2. Enter 'Command prompt' in the Search box.

3. In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command prompt, and then tap or click 'Run as administrator'.

4. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

Method 3:

Type the following in a Windows PowerShell as Administrator:

1.Launch PowerShell

2.Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

3.Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Restart your device.

Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

Angel.

AngelCarreno, Nov 25, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 "black screens" short time after Cortana prompts

1. Windows 10 "black screens" short time after Cortana prompts - Similar Threads - black screens short

2. Short black screen, after glitch in screen if i move the mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Short black screen, after glitch in screen if i move the mouse: Since the update from windows 10 to 11 i've been having issues with the same glitch: sometimes my screen goes black for a short amount of time i have tried using the windows + ctlr + shift + b shortcut, but my screen goes back after a few seconds and after that the letters in...
  3. Short black screen, after glitch in screen if i move the mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Short black screen, after glitch in screen if i move the mouse: Since the update from windows 10 to 11 i've been having issues with the same glitch: sometimes my screen goes black for a short amount of time i have tried using the windows + ctlr + shift + b shortcut, but my screen goes back after a few seconds and after that the letters in...
  4. Black Screen After Some Time of working in windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen After Some Time of working in windows 10.: I get a black screen after 20 to 30 minutes on my windows 10 laptopAsus ROG Strix G17 G713IH-HX020T the event viewer shows nothing and no bugcheck values what do i do....
  5. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer: I built my computer almost 3 years ago, and i’ve had on and off problems with it. However, this problem is unignorable and I think it might be time to switch something in my computer, but i’m not sure what. The two parts of interest are my power supply and my rx 580, which...
  6. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer: I built my computer almost 3 years ago, and i’ve had on and off problems with it. However, this problem is unignorable and I think it might be time to switch something in my computer, but i’m not sure what. The two parts of interest are my power supply and my rx 580, which...
  7. Screen cuts to black and crashes shortly after turning on computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Black screen after Cortana started jabbering

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen after Cortana started jabbering: I wiped the drive and installed Windows 10 Pro from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. Just after I entered the first security question -- I chose a non-Microsoft login for admin -- the screen went black. I kept clicking the mouse, pressing Enter, and even tried...
  9. Black-ish screen shortly after booting windows ten

in Windows 10 Support
    Black-ish screen shortly after booting windows ten: When I boot windows ten, put my password in and my screen comes up, about 5-10 seconds later a black screen pops up and I can't do anything. Sometimes when I boot a windows screen comes up saying "Windows didn't load correctly." And I can access other things from there. I...
  10. Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen after installing Windows 10 - no login prompt, no cursor: I manually updated my Lenovo desktop (K450E, i7, 16GB Ram with NVIDIA GTX 970 card and 750 watt power supply) using the Media Creation tool. I set it to upload overnight but when I came back to it this morning, the screen didn't respond. I did a hard shutdown and came back to...