Windows 10: Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

Discus and support Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RazorRust, Aug 15, 2021.

1. RazorRust Win User

Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and noticed my main hard drive had changed to drive letter E:\ . It seems my only option is to reinstall windows. Is there no way to change the drive letter back to C:\ ?

:)

RazorRust, Aug 15, 2021
  2. sttubs Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Aug 15, 2021
  3. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CWindows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot :) and empty data (DWindows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DWindows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, Aug 15, 2021
  4. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Why do u even want a HDD/SSD that's 3TB for a operation system?

puma99dk|, Aug 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot - Similar Threads - boot drive letter

2. Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Boot Drive - Windows Boot Manager: I need to make my Boot drive larger - so I went out and got another NVME drive and PCI card to mount it to.I made a clone of the existing boot drive and the ancillary partitions. So I now have two drive that are identical clonesThe next step is supposed to be to tell the BIOS...
  3. Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 boot drive letter changed. Won't boot: Out of no where my windows 10 PC will not boot. After the windows logo it goes to a black screen with spinning dots. It will not boot in to safe mode. I booted to recovery tried startup repair (fails), tried reset this PC (fails). I opened a command prompt. Used diskpart and...
  4. Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10): I cloned my C drive onto a USB external drive (J) with Macrium, choosing Clone. As shown, this was done, and I had an extra 240GB free. But my computer won't boot when I select both the USB 3 drive option, and also when I select the USB Widows Boot option. What have I done...
  5. Changing Windows 10 Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing Windows 10 Boot Drive: I recently installed a new SSD in my laptop and I used Acronis True Image WD Edition to create a "clone" of my hard drive. However, the RecoveryImage is now taking up half of the 1TB SSD. The RecoveryImage on the original installed SSD is 16GB. Is there a way to change the...
  6. Missing drive letter and boot record...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing drive letter and boot record...: My system has two physical drives, both drives have Windows 10 Pro 64-installed: [img] Disk 0 started out its life as Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS, while the other as Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit OS. This has been working just fine, albeit Disk 0 had not been booted for a long...
  7. After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After System Restore Windows 10 won't boot up and Drive letters have changed: Hello, I did a system restore yesterday and it failed and now my laptop wont boot up. I have 2 drives. A C: drive which is a dual SSD configured to RAID 0 which has my windows 10 installation and also a D: drive with other files. After the system restore failed i went...
  8. Windows won't boot due to boot setting changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows won't boot due to boot setting changes: I noticed an issue recently where not all of my ram was being detected by windows 10. I did what microsoft support website told me to do and in boot advanced settings changed the maximum memory to how much ram I have. After doing that and restarting the pc I got a screen...
  9. Cloned Boot Drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloned Boot Drive won't boot: Update: Whilst typing up all that I’d done so far, I managed to solve it, but posting anyway in case of help to others. Apologies in advance for being a newbie and the probably obvious mistakes made here. I had a Windows 10 Pro install on a 128GB SSD. It was full so I...
  10. wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system: [img] Hi guys in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition Disk 1 : clone of disk 0 problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 os drive letter changed