Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Discus and support Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset in Windows 10 Support on Windows 10 Forums to solve the problem; PC worked great day one of my upgrade; games were running way better and I was happy with 10. However, last night I put the PC to sleep; when I woke... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gamingws34, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Gamingws34 Win User

PC worked great day one of my upgrade; games were running way better and I was happy with 10. However, last night I put the PC to sleep; when I woke up, I noticed PC on so I powered the monitor and the tool bar on the bottom left (cortana, windows button, etc) was not responsive. Upon restart, the PC loops repeatedly in this order: "Preparing Automatic Repair", window pops up and disappears then "Diagnosing your PC", then "Automatic Repair" with the options "Restart" and "Advanced Options". I've launched startup repair which fails, my BIOS does not have a DEP selector (Which fixes the issue for many users) in the CPU settings, system finds no restore points, flashes, etc.

My only options now seem to be a system reset or USB boot; my question is this:

What is the difference between USB boot and system reset? I don't want to lose anything, especially these huge game downloads that would take forever to re acquire on my now much slower internet. Also, are there any other options? Perhaps wait for a new version of Windows 10? Thanks in advance everyone,

Paul

:)

Gamingws34, Aug 7, 2015
  2. PA Bear - MS MVP Win User

Windows 10 Boot Fail + Loop Question: USB OS load vs. System Reset

Huh?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 7, 2015
  3. GamingWS34 Win User
    Windows 10 Boot Fail + Loop Question: USB OS load vs. System Reset

I was referring to the OS I have on the USB stick; which I am now assuming is the exact same thing as a System Reset. Any ideas?

I tried booting in Safe Mode, but all I get when pressing F8 at startup is a choice of which Disc to Boot. If I use Windows built in Safe Mode, upon the required restart it does not activate - instead proceeding through "Preparing..." "Diagnosing..." then
    the "Restart" and "Advanced Options" loop again. I even went into the command prompt to change to legacy (bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy) but still I only get to choose which drive to boot from whilst pressing F8 at boot... no classic black and
    white "Safe Mode" screen to be seen...

GamingWS34, Aug 7, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Paul and welcome to TenForums.

I believe a system Reset will remove all apps not native to the operating system, files and user accounts, whereas a system Refresh should give you a choice of whether or not to keep your files/documents.

Option #5 in this tutorial will show you how to boot from USB to enter repair mode:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

And this tutorial shows you how to Refresh your system:

Refresh Windows 10

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

simrick, Aug 7, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    USB boot lets boot from a bootable USB drive. For example, if used the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to make a thumbnail drive a bootable Windows setup, choosing that option allows to boot from it if it is plugged in and install Windows 7 or use recovery options. If r thumbnail drive just had a few pictures, then it would not boot, obviously, but USB drives specially configured with bootable media (such as Windows setup disc ISOs) can boot.

6. YOU
    You Win User
    If go to Advanced Options, Startup Settings, click the Restart button, then press 4 on r keyboard to enter Safe Mode, will the computer boot then? It could be a virus or driver incompatibility. Drivers tend to automatically install in the first few hours that the computer is operational. If Safe Mode works, then can get to the desktop to do some diagnosing.

7. Gamingws34 Win User
    Thanks everyone, I am going to get back to work on it sometime today; I will post my results :).

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Gamingws34 Win User

So, I tried booting in Safe Mode, but all I get when pressing F8 at startup is a choice of which Disc to Boot. If I use Windows built in Safe Mode, upon the required restart it does not activate - instead proceeding through "Preparing..." "Diagnosing..." then the "Restart" and "Advanced Options" loop again. I even went into the command prompt to change to legacy (bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy) but still I only get to choose which drive to boot from whilst pressing F8 at boot... no classic black and white "Safe Mode" screen to be seen... any ideas?

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    If you have Windows 10 on USB or DVD you can do an in-place upgrade (i.e. upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 10 ). Boot from USB/DVD, install Windows 10 and take the option to keep apps and files - this is the default. It will then just replace Windows directory (you can run disk cleanup after to delete Windows.old).

I did this today and it worked fine - all of my apps and programs (including Office etc) worked fine afterwards and no documents were lost. Obviously I had to run Windows update again after as all the updates to Windows (but not Office) had been lost and Windows had been reset to the ISO version.

lx07, Aug 8, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    How much spare hard disk space is there?

You could potentially partition your drive and move the game folders onto the new partion, then nuke the old partition with a clean install. You could then move the games back and delete that partition if you want.

If they're Steam games then you wont have any trouble running them again. I've done similar things with Steam, for other people, a number of times.

11. simrick Win User
    My instructions in post #2 didn't work?

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  12. Gamingws34 Win User
    I just double checked them and no, unfortunately they didn't help. Well, the first link shows me how to access Advanced Startup Options; which I can already do, even without the USB stick. Link #2 I'm sure would work, but I am trying to avoid a mass wipe of non windows apps.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  13. Gamingws34 Win User

When you booted from USB, after selecting your country, did you click repair my computer (underlined on bottom left of screen) and choose "reset my pc" from the advanced settings menu in windows 10? Or did you proceed with the onscreen prompt to continue?

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  14. simrick Win User
    Yes, sorry, you can keep your data, but you'll have to reinstall your applications. Best to do that, because if you want to get rid of the problem, this is, unfortunately, the way to do it.

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  15. Gamingws34 Win User
    Thank you, I suppose I will use the USB stick to Reset it; so I won't have to re-download. Can't believe Safe Mode won't work though; I have never seen such a problem.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset - Similar Threads - boot loop question

1. Windows 10 won't boot after failed update - reboot loop / circle

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 won't boot after failed update - reboot loop / circle: Hi, I had automatic update on my Windows 10 machine. I snoozed it for later all day and left the house. When I got back computer was unresponsive so I rebooted it. Then it was stuck on reboot loop. Windows logo + rolling dots for a couple of seconds and then reboot. After...
  2. Boot Loop After Win Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Loop After Win Update: Today I updated to latest major win 10 update. But just it finished updating the updayes made my PC go on a boot loop which never boots to the desktop. I tried mamually restarting but the PC keeps boot looping. What do I do???!! 110436
  3. EMERGENCY - Boot Loop After Win Update

in Windows 10 Support
    EMERGENCY - Boot Loop After Win Update: Today I updated to latest major win 10 update. But just it finished updating the updayes made my PC go on a boot loop which never boots to the desktop. I tried mamually restarting but the PC keeps boot looping. What do I do???!! 110436
  4. Can't Boot Into Windows Since Feature Update, Infinite Loop & Restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Boot Into Windows Since Feature Update, Infinite Loop & Restarts: Hi, I tried updating to the new feature update the other day, and when I came back my PC was stuck in an infinite loop where it restarts, the BIOS splash screen shows, then the screen goes blue and my PC restarts again with no error messages or anything. So I can't get into...
  5. Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails: About a week ago update keep saying an update failed due to lack of drive space so I fixed the issue. After that the update went through but keep failing and the pc would boot and remove the update. The pc was working normally otherwise. I have been extremely busy with work...
  6. Boot Loop problem on insider computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Loop problem on insider computer: Shortly after installing 17093 my old insider computer started behaving oddly. It would go into a boot loop with post error codes of b4 and 15 and I cannot boot from the SSD. I installed 17101 when it was released and the same thing is happening despite the fact that one of...
  7. Sometimes computer enters boot loop, other times I see black screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes computer enters boot loop, other times I see black screen: Hello, Recently, I think it was January, my computer started facing issues while booting. I could not determine the cause of the issue, but I have found a workaround that "fixes" it temporarily (once). Once I press the power button on my computer there are generally...
Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset solved