Windows 10: Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Discus and support Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; PC worked great day one of my upgrade; games were running way better and I was happy with 10. However, last night I put the PC to sleep; when I woke... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gamingws34, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

PC worked great day one of my upgrade; games were running way better and I was happy with 10. However, last night I put the PC to sleep; when I woke up, I noticed PC on so I powered the monitor and the tool bar on the bottom left (cortana, windows button, etc) was not responsive. Upon restart, the PC loops repeatedly in this order: "Preparing Automatic Repair", window pops up and disappears then "Diagnosing your PC", then "Automatic Repair" with the options "Restart" and "Advanced Options". I've launched startup repair which fails, my BIOS does not have a DEP selector (Which fixes the issue for many users) in the CPU settings, system finds no restore points, flashes, etc.

My only options now seem to be a system reset or USB boot; my question is this:

What is the difference between USB boot and system reset? I don't want to lose anything, especially these huge game downloads that would take forever to re acquire on my now much slower internet. Also, are there any other options? Perhaps wait for a new version of Windows 10? Thanks in advance everyone,

Paul

:)

Gamingws34, Aug 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 Boot Fail + Loop Question: USB OS load vs. System Reset

Huh?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Boot Fail + Loop Question: USB OS load vs. System Reset

I was referring to the OS I have on the USB stick; which I am now assuming is the exact same thing as a System Reset. Any ideas?

I tried booting in Safe Mode, but all I get when pressing F8 at startup is a choice of which Disc to Boot. If I use Windows built in Safe Mode, upon the required restart it does not activate - instead proceeding through "Preparing..." "Diagnosing..." then
    the "Restart" and "Advanced Options" loop again. I even went into the command prompt to change to legacy (bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy) but still I only get to choose which drive to boot from whilst pressing F8 at boot... no classic black and
    white "Safe Mode" screen to be seen...

GamingWS34, Aug 6, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Hi Paul and welcome to TenForums.

I believe a system Reset will remove all apps not native to the operating system, files and user accounts, whereas a system Refresh should give you a choice of whether or not to keep your files/documents.

Option #5 in this tutorial will show you how to boot from USB to enter repair mode:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

And this tutorial shows you how to Refresh your system:

Refresh Windows 10

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

simrick, Aug 7, 2015
  5. YOU
    You Win User
    USB boot lets boot from a bootable USB drive. For example, if used the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to make a thumbnail drive a bootable Windows setup, choosing that option allows to boot from it if it is plugged in and install Windows 7 or use recovery options. If r thumbnail drive just had a few pictures, then it would not boot, obviously, but USB drives specially configured with bootable media (such as Windows setup disc ISOs) can boot.

6. YOU
    You Win User
    If go to Advanced Options, Startup Settings, click the Restart button, then press 4 on r keyboard to enter Safe Mode, will the computer boot then? It could be a virus or driver incompatibility. Drivers tend to automatically install in the first few hours that the computer is operational. If Safe Mode works, then can get to the desktop to do some diagnosing.

7. Thanks everyone, I am going to get back to work on it sometime today; I will post my results Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset :).

Gamingws34, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

So, I tried booting in Safe Mode, but all I get when pressing F8 at startup is a choice of which Disc to Boot. If I use Windows built in Safe Mode, upon the required restart it does not activate - instead proceeding through "Preparing..." "Diagnosing..." then the "Restart" and "Advanced Options" loop again. I even went into the command prompt to change to legacy (bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy) but still I only get to choose which drive to boot from whilst pressing F8 at boot... no classic black and white "Safe Mode" screen to be seen... any ideas?

Gamingws34, Aug 7, 2015
  9. lx07 Win User
    If you have Windows 10 on USB or DVD you can do an in-place upgrade (i.e. upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 10 ). Boot from USB/DVD, install Windows 10 and take the option to keep apps and files - this is the default. It will then just replace Windows directory (you can run disk cleanup after to delete Windows.old).

I did this today and it worked fine - all of my apps and programs (including Office etc) worked fine afterwards and no documents were lost. Obviously I had to run Windows update again after as all the updates to Windows (but not Office) had been lost and Windows had been reset to the ISO version.

lx07, Aug 7, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    How much spare hard disk space is there?

You could potentially partition your drive and move the game folders onto the new partion, then nuke the old partition with a clean install. You could then move the games back and delete that partition if you want.

If they're Steam games then you wont have any trouble running them again. I've done similar things with Steam, for other people, a number of times.

11. simrick Win User
    My instructions in post #2 didn't work?

simrick, Aug 7, 2015
  12. I just double checked them and no, unfortunately they didn't help. Well, the first link shows me how to access Advanced Startup Options; which I can already do, even without the USB stick. Link #2 I'm sure would work, but I am trying to avoid a mass wipe of non windows apps.

Gamingws34, Aug 7, 2015
  13. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

When you booted from USB, after selecting your country, did you click repair my computer (underlined on bottom left of screen) and choose "reset my pc" from the advanced settings menu in windows 10? Or did you proceed with the onscreen prompt to continue?

Gamingws34, Aug 7, 2015
  14. simrick Win User
    Yes, sorry, you can keep your data, but you'll have to reinstall your applications. Best to do that, because if you want to get rid of the problem, this is, unfortunately, the way to do it.

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  15. Thank you, I suppose I will use the USB stick to Reset it; so I won't have to re-download. Can't believe Safe Mode won't work though; I have never seen such a problem.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

1. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset - Similar Threads - boot loop question

2. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  3. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  4. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Boot Loop after Laptop Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Boot Loop after Laptop Reset: Hey, So I have a windows 10 laptop Acer Predator Helios 300It is about 2 years old and it was pretty much filled so I reset the laptop.The whole process went smoothly and I left my pc for a while after I came back, I saw that my pc is stuck in a Boot Loop.The first screen I...
  6. Windows 10 Laptop in Boot Loop After Reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Laptop in Boot Loop After Reset: I decided to reset my Windows 10 laptop and delete all its files. However, during the Installing Windows process, it got stuck in a boot loop. As shown in this video I took, it tries to reboot, but right when it gets back into Windows, it reboots again. It’s stuck in that...
  7. Windows 10 USB Boot Restart Loop

Windows 10 USB Boot Restart Loop: I've been troubleshooting my device for about a week, I've spent at least 12 hours messing with it so far, and I don't think I've made any progress. Any help would be very much appreciated! TL;DR: My laptop does not currently have an operating system, and it refuses to...
  8. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10): Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a System Repair Disc. I said yes. I see I can only choose to use the CD drive. When traveling (regular) I would rather take a...
  9. Boot Loop after Windows 10 Reset

Boot Loop after Windows 10 Reset: Hi guys, I've created an another disk partition and copy the files I don' want to lose. Then using the Windows' Reset thing, I chose complete reset. (I don't know it's name is exactly complete reset, I use windows in another language, but I guess you got what i meant). And I...
  10. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop: Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options) Select 64 bit Initial install screen shows then computer reboots. No video card or optical drive hooked up Ethernet plugged in Any and all suggestions...