Windows 10: Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Discus and support Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to do a system reset which let's me keep my stuff but deletes apps - and even that had an error... which only leaves me with the option to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gamingws34, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

I tried to do a system reset which let's me keep my stuff but deletes apps - and even that had an error... which only leaves me with the option to do a completely clean reset... I am beyond upset and disappointed to be losing EVERYTHING... I've tried everything, can't copy half the stuff via the command prompt... and won't let me move anything because it says access denied. And guess what, there is no way to change priveleges without being on the desktop. Fml.

Gamingws34, Aug 8, 2015
  2. simrick Win User

Booting with a Live Linux DVD will give you access to everything so you can get your files copied/moved. Please do this first!

We don't want to do a reset - we want to do an install, keeping files, and possibly apps (as the post #7 indicated).

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  3. lx07 Win User
    After all this, can I ask, do you have a bootable Windows 10 USB stick, Yes or No?

If you do it is a easy fix, if not then I suggest you make one.

You can of course boot from some Linux, copy your files, re-install, copy them back and so on but honestly an in-place upgrade from Win 10 to Win 10 worked fine for me and it is easy (as long as you can boot from USB or DVD).

Hali

EDIT: I'm not saying don't copy your stuff like @simrick said just an in-line upgrade would be an easy solution after all the usual backup stuff. I did it a couple of days ago (post 7 ) and it worked out fine for me. In my case I wanted Windows to run the upgrade compression which it doesn't do on a clean install.

4. simrick Win User

Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset

Hali, you selected INSTALL right? Not RESET when booting from the USB, correct? Then it gave you an option to "keep your apps and files" correct?

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    Yes. Boot from USB and it will ask you what you want to keep. I selected "All Apps and all personal files". It takes 20 minutes or so.

6. lx07 Win User
    Your USB/DVD MUST be the same version as you installed before - so you must have SAME Windows 10 and not the "K" version or "N" version or "Single Language" (unless you had that in the first place of course).

I suppose you have x64 (not x86) as almost everyone does but that must be the same also. Use the same ISO.

Boot from the USB, take INSTALL and then accept the license, and say "I want to keep everything" which is the default. You should be good to go in 1 hour maximum. Your activation will not be affected - I know because I did it yesterday.

7. simrick Win User
    @Gamingws34 it sounds like Hali has the answer: in-place upgrade from w10 to w10, booting from USB and choosing INSTALL, then selecting to keep all apps and files.

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Just incidentally, if you could make it to the desktop (which you can't but someone else might be able to),you don't have to boot from USB. You can mount the ISO by clicking on it and then just click on setup.exe - it will do the same in-place upgrade. I'm sure there is a tutorial here somewhere - I'll check it out perhaps...

9. simrick Win User
    Correct. But @Gamingws34 can't get to the desktop.

simrick, Aug 8, 2015
  10. I'm having the same issue.I upgraded 2 weeks ago and until last Saturday everything was fine.PC restarted then went on the reboot cycle.I tried repair,fail I tried to revert back to 8.1,get Drive Where Windows is located is Locked. Tried to reinstall 8.1 using my USB drive,fail.Tried Windows 10 Tool with a different USB,fail.Whats next,new SSD?Thankfully I moved most everything on to my secondary drive on Friday. Some help please.

stevew24963, Aug 12, 2015
  11. simrick Win User
    Hello @stevew24963, and welcome to TenForums.
    Mentioned earlier in this thread, this could be your problem from the update that started coming through on the 5th:

Windows 10 Forced Updates Causing Endless Crash Loops - Forbes

There's also a link to the Kaspersky Rescue disk, which has a registry editor built in for you to try the fix.

EDIT: Here's the thread at MS on the problem with some fixes:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eaed7b6?auth=1

simrick, Aug 12, 2015
  12. Thanks for the reply and I will give that a try. Nearly at wits end but I'm sure there is a solution.

stevew24963, Aug 12, 2015
  13. simrick Win User

Let us know how it goes. As a last resort, you could try an in-place upgrade.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 boot loop question - USB OS load vs. System Reset - Similar Threads - boot loop question

2. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  3. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop: Recently I’ve been trying to reinstall windows 10 on my new hard drive, and all of my old files are backed up elsewhere. However, whenever I try to boot from the USB containing the installation media, the windows logo appears only for a brief second before a command...
  4. Windows 10 clean installation USB boot loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Boot Loop after Laptop Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Boot Loop after Laptop Reset: Hey, So I have a windows 10 laptop Acer Predator Helios 300It is about 2 years old and it was pretty much filled so I reset the laptop.The whole process went smoothly and I left my pc for a while after I came back, I saw that my pc is stuck in a Boot Loop.The first screen I...
  6. Windows 10 Laptop in Boot Loop After Reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Laptop in Boot Loop After Reset: I decided to reset my Windows 10 laptop and delete all its files. However, during the Installing Windows process, it got stuck in a boot loop. As shown in this video I took, it tries to reboot, but right when it gets back into Windows, it reboots again. It’s stuck in that...
  7. Windows 10 USB Boot Restart Loop

Windows 10 USB Boot Restart Loop: I've been troubleshooting my device for about a week, I've spent at least 12 hours messing with it so far, and I don't think I've made any progress. Any help would be very much appreciated! TL;DR: My laptop does not currently have an operating system, and it refuses to...
  8. Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10)

Recovery Drive vs System Repair Disc vs Boot Drive? (Windows 10): Hi. Just did my first System Image onto an external hard drive from my Windows 10 laptop. It worked. At the end it asked me do I want to make a System Repair Disc. I said yes. I see I can only choose to use the CD drive. When traveling (regular) I would rather take a...
  9. Boot Loop after Windows 10 Reset

Boot Loop after Windows 10 Reset: Hi guys, I've created an another disk partition and copy the files I don' want to lose. Then using the Windows' Reset thing, I chose complete reset. (I don't know it's name is exactly complete reset, I use windows in another language, but I guess you got what i meant). And I...
  10. New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop

New PC. No OS installed. Retail Windows 10 usb boot loop: Boot priority is set to Windows 10 USB first, SSD second Tried in 3.0 and 2.0 ports (switched to legacy options) Select 64 bit Initial install screen shows then computer reboots. No video card or optical drive hooked up Ethernet plugged in Any and all suggestions...