Windows 10: Windows 10 Boot Times Increasing On Every Boot

Discus and support Windows 10 Boot Times Increasing On Every Boot in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; For the last few months, Windows 10 has been taking an incrementally long time to boot to the Windows loader every time I boot from a full hybernation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Koda C, May 4, 2021.

1. Koda C Win User

Windows 10 Boot Times Increasing On Every Boot

For the last few months, Windows 10 has been taking an incrementally long time to boot to the Windows loader every time I boot from a full hybernation or shutdown that was performed several hours prior. And I do mean incrementally long. The time it takes for the Dell splash icon to when the Windows 10 loading dots to appear has been increasing by about half a second every time it has to fully load, and it now takes about 30 seconds for the W10 loading dots to appear. Just a few weeks ago it would only take ten seconds or so.However, it doesn't happen when I manually reboot th

:)

Koda C, May 4, 2021
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, May 4, 2021
  3. MrGenius Win User
    Windows 10 Boot Times Showdown

I just finished up testing various boot time scenarios for Windows 10 Pro 64 on my system. I've been curious for well over a year now, since I installed W10, to see how much UEFI GOP boot would speed up my boot times. The thing is my graphics card didn't have a UEFI BIOS. So I flashed one on it today and ran some tests. And I came up with some pretty interesting results after testing with UEFI GOP boot and without it, in combination with other boot options enabled(On) or disabled(Off). All tests done with W10 installed on my WD Black 7200 rpm 64MB SATA-III HDD, my MSI Z77A-GC65 Gaming motherboard, and my MSI R9 280X Gaming OC 3GB graphics card.

The boot options in my motherboard UEFI/BIOS that I tested are:

UEFI GOP Boot(called Windows 8 Feature in my motherboard UEFI/BIOS) with Secure Boot disabled
    MSI Fast Boot
    Fast Boot with PS2 support enabled, SATA & USB support disabled
    (each device type can be enabled or disabled for POST while using Fast Boot, allowing for faster boot times with more devices disabled for POST, or slower boot times with more devices enabled for POST)

Notes: MSI Fast Boot cannot be used with Fast Boot. You can only choose to run one or the other. I leave PS2 support enabled so I can use my PS2 keyboard delete key to access the BIOS after POST. If I disable PS2 support I lose that functionality. Even though it might cause my boot times to be a second or so slower by not disabling it. It's a trade-off.

The Windows 10 power options I tested are:

Fast Startup
    Hibernation
    Hybrid Sleep

Note: Fast Startup does not apply to Hibernation or Sleep scenarios.

I ran tests with the various options enabled(On) or disabled(Off), in a variety of configurations. I booted from a shut down with each configuration at least 3 times and recorded how long it took. Boot time started when I hit the power button and ended when the desktop background image was shown. I'm not particularly interested in average times or slowest times. I'm trying to figure out which way to configure the options that will give me the fastest boot time. All configurations varied slightly during separate runs. It's going to happen no matter what you do. So what's of real interest to me is which configuration is capable of being fastest. It doesn't have to be that fast every time. And I can guarantee it won't be anyway. So let's just look at the fastest times I was able to achieve with each configuration and call it good. *Smile Windows 10 Boot Times Increasing On Every Boot :)

Starting with the slowest configuration, and ending with the fastest configuration:

UEFI GOP Boot with Secure Boot disabled: On
    Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: On
    Fast Startup: Off
    Best time = 2 minutes 17.29 seconds

MSI Fast Boot: On
    Best time = 2 minutes 14.04 seconds

Hybrid Sleep
    Note: Hybrid Sleep is not working properly on my system, Non-Hybrid Sleep doesn't work at all
    Best time = 1 minute 21.76 seconds

MSI Fast Boot: Off
    Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: Off
    Note: :"Just UEFI GOP Boot On" test
    Best time = 1 minute 0.76 seconds

UEFI GOP Boot with Secure Boot disabled: Off
    Note: :"Just Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled On" test
    Best time = 51.90 seconds

Note: "Everything Off" test
    Best time = 51.87 seconds

Note: "Just MSI Fast Boot On" test
    Best time = 51.17 seconds

Fast Startup: On
    Note: "Just Fast Startup On" test
    Best time = 27.54 seconds

Hibernation
    Note: "Just Hibernation" test
    Best time: 24.28 seconds

Best time = 23.66 seconds

Best time = 23.43 seconds

Best time = 22.75 seconds

Best time = 22.38 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time: 22.31 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 20.40 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 19.87 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time: 18.69 seconds

Hibernation
    Best time = 18.38 seconds

Conclusions:

UEFI GOP boot with Secure Boot disabled: Horrible when used with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot On and Fast Startup Off. Significantly, and surprisingly, less horrible when used on its own(with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing if MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot is On and Fast Startup is On(when not used also with Hibernation). Good for at least 2 second faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~6 second faster boot times when used with MSI Fast Boot or Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled On and Hibernation.

MSI Fast Boot: Works great with Fast Startup On. Shortened boot times by more than 50% compared with having just it On and Fast Startup Off. Horrible when used with just UEFI GOP Boot On(and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing significant when used on its own(like with UEFI GOP Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). With less than 1 second difference between using it on its own and having "Everything Off". Good for ~2.5 seconds faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~4 second faster boot times used with Hibernation and UEFI GOP Boot On.

Fast Boot with PS2 enabled, SATA & USB disabled: Basically same as MSI Fast Boot. Works great with Fast Startup On. Shortened boot times by more than 50% compared with having just it On and Fast Startup Off. Although ~ 3 seconds slower than MSI Fast Boot in the worst case scenario(like with UEFI GOP Boot also On and Fast Startup Off), it's ~.3 seconds faster in the best case scenario(like with Hibernation). Horrible when used with just UEFI GOP Boot On(and Fast Startup Off). Apparently does nothing significant when used on its own(like with UEFI GOP Boot Off and Fast Startup Off). With less than 1 second difference between using it on its own and having "Everything Off". Good for ~2 seconds faster boot times when used by itself with Hibernation, or ~3.5 second faster boot times used with Hibernation and UEFI GOP Boot On.

Fast Startup: THE GAME CHANGER!!! It can lower boot times by almost 2 minutes in worst case scenarios. And by at least 24 seconds in best case scenarios.

"Everything Off"(UEFI GOP Boot Off, MSI Fast Boot Off, Fast Boot Off, and Fast Startup Off): Strangely "pretty good by comparison" boot times. You can do much better, but surprisingly much much worse too.

Hybrid Sleep: Like I said...it doesn't work properly on my system. So YMMV. See one of my previous posts for a detailed explanation of what I mean by "doesn't work properly".

Hibernation: THE HANDS DOWN WINNER!!! Faster in every configuration scenario except when used by itself with all other options Off.

Tips:

Turn Hibernation On in Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code: powercfg -h on[/quote] Turn Hibernation Off in Command Prompt (Admin)
    Code: powercfg -h off[/quote] Further reading:

Windows 10: Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10
    Windows 10: Specify Hiberfile Type as Full or Reduced in Windows 10
    Windows 10: Check if Last Boot from Hybrid, Full, or Hibernate in Windows 8 and 10

EDIT: There's one other factor to consider too. Namely Superfetch. It's on by default and has a significant impact on boot times. I'd noticed some time ago that without Superfetch On boot times were a lot slower. And I just ran a bunch of tests with the other configurations shown above and Superfetch Off(since it was On for all of those tests). For the sake of brevity I'll just cut to the chase and give you the low down on it. In every test so far with SuperFetch disabled(Off) boot times have been slower. And I can't imagine a scenario where that might not be the case. That is of course unless you might be using a SSD instead of a HDD. Since I've heard that Superfetch can be bad for performance in general with a SDD(not sure about boot times, but I'd imagine the same applies). So, unless you're using a SSD as your boot drive, my recommendation is to have Superfetch enabled(On) for faster boot times. If not just for overall system performance. Which I've also noticed is slowed down without it enabled(using a HDD anyway).

More info on enabling or disabling Superfetch:

Windows 10, 8 & 7: Enable or Disable Superfetch

MrGenius, May 4, 2021
  4. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Boot Times Increasing On Every Boot - Similar Threads - Boot Times Increasing

2. Windows Boot time increased after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Boot time increased after update: My Windows boot time increased after update from few seconds to minutes. I dual boot Ubuntu on my SSD and Windows on my NVMe, both Samsung. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-boot-time-increased-after-update/c139dc5e-c780-440d-b399-571b5604882c
  3. Increase in Booting time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Increase in Booting time: Hi,I am a windows 11 user and recently i downloaded some softwares like epic games , plarium playa game , started to download hitman starter pack from XBOX but stopped it in between , Grand RP..just after downloading all these and setting up i deleted them all completely for...
  4. Increase in Booting time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increase in Booting time: Hi,I am a windows 11 user and recently i downloaded some softwares like epic games , plarium playa game , started to download hitman starter pack from XBOX but stopped it in between , Grand RP..just after downloading all these and setting up i deleted them all completely for...
  5. Increased boot time after windows update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increased boot time after windows update: Recently i upgrdaded from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro edition on my lenovo legion y540 laptop which is a high end pc and has only been used for less than a year. Prior to update, the boot time was very less. But now there is a loading icon under legion symbol which goes...
  6. Diagnosing increased boot times?

Diagnosing increased boot times?: What are the best methods for diagnosing increased boot times? I have an Asus Vivobook laptop purchased new in January; boot times when new were about 10-15 seconds from power on to the lock screen. However, this has now increased to 40 seconds.I have tried the following: -...
  7. PC boot time suddenly increases

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC boot time suddenly increases: So after years of using a HDD as a boot drive I finally upgraded to an SSD and used it fully as a boot drive and the boot time was like 5 seconds. However recently it became more than 20 seconds out of the blue. I at first thought it was because of a new PCI-E WiFi card I...
  8. Increased boot up time

Increased boot up time: my boot up time has increased gradually as i have installed software's on my windows pc,if i uninstall the unimportant ones(games,video editing,etc.) will it resort back to approximately the same speed? i have closed all the unnecessary startup items,regularly clean my...
  9. Boot time increase

Boot time increase: Hey guys, a few days ago I had to use my gigabyte's backup bios due to corruption, and now my pc takes upto a minute to boot instead of about 10-15 seconds. (stays on gigabyte screen till boot). Any ideas? 55114
  10. Boot time significantly Increased

Boot time significantly Increased: Hello Guy and Gals , My system used to boot up Quite Fast ( almost instantly SSD Drive C ), i added a hard drive and noticed a significant increase in my boot up time , the drive i added , i decided that i would not use it ( Not Big Enough ), so i removed it, I then...