Windows 10: Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive

Discus and support Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; so i have an ssdsamsung QVO 860 1TB and a hdddon't know the name and i had windows 10 installed on my ssd working perfectly fine and i wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ArneUlburghs, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive

so i have an ssdsamsung QVO 860 1TB and a hdddon't know the name and i had windows 10 installed on my ssd working perfectly fine and i wanted to install Linux ubuntu on my hdd since it was empty and i wanted to try it out. It couldn't install because it only detected my ssd where i have my windows 10 installed on and my ssd worked with intel rst. After a little search, i found that intel rst was also just a program installed on my ssd and i could uninstall it, i thought it would help me so i did uninstall the program. after that, i couldn't boot into my windows 10 anymore so i installed a new windows 10, using installation media, to my HDD because i thought it would help. Now when i restarted i got a windows boot manager that let me choose which one of the two windows i wanted to boot into and both windows installations worked perfectly. I didn't want the boot manager anymore so i looked on the internet how i could disable that and instead just choose in bios from what hard drive i want to boot in, and i ended up changing something in the msconfig general settings. after a restart, i still got the windows boot manager and both windows installations didn't work anymore. I reinstalled windows again on my hddso the one with no data or programs and i didn't get the boot menu anymore. After i checkid in the BIOS, i could only select to boot from my ssd with my original windows 10 isntallation, so i did, and i got into my new windows 10 installation which was installed on my hdd. i opened the msconfig general settings and it didn't recognize my original windows 10 installation. Also, in file manager, OS is standing next to the ssd the one i'm not on and in disk management it says that the partition with my original windows installation is a standard storage partition.

I've tried so many things and i'm about to give up and just reinstall windows 10 and losing all my data and apps. Does anyone know how to fix this maybe?

Thanks in advance!!

:)

ArneUlburghs, Aug 21, 2020
  2. sttubs Win User

Windows 10 boot drive

Is Windows 10 also limited to a max of 3Tb for a boot drive?

sttubs, Aug 21, 2020
  3. little cat, Aug 21, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive

Wondering about a second hard drive and installing Vista on it and also a ..

iv'e had too many problems to list like that, thats why i suggested disconnecting the original drive(s) and using the BIOS to choose what drive to boot from.

Mussels, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive

1. Windows 10 booting from other drive and os is standing on second drive - Similar Threads - booting drive standing

2. Bitlocker working on OS drive, not on second drive fixed data drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker working on OS drive, not on second drive fixed data drive: I am running W10 pro, 19041. I have had to do a fresh install of W10 and since then I cannot switch bitlocker on on the D: drive. The disk is not even shown on the Bitlocker Drive encryption settings page. The C: drive has bitlocker enabled and is encrypted. Have been...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 to Boot from other Drive: I have an all-in-one computer that came with Windows 10 installed. It has a 1tb HDD and a 256 Gb SSD with windows installed on the HDD. I want to re-install windows on to the SSD so I can boot from the SSD and access the files on the HDD. But I want to do so without...
  4. Moving OS to other drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving OS to other drive: Hello everyone, as the title says, I want to move the OS to another drive, but, I want to do that without removing the other files on it. I also wouldn't really like to reinstall WIndows, but if absolutely necessary, I will do that. Can anyone be of help for me?...
  5. Change drive from where the OS Boots up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change drive from where the OS Boots up: I have 3 drives C: ,D: , E: . Drive D: is on a external bay. Where I look at Disk Management I see for see ( Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) on the Disk, Drive D: (System, Active, Primary Partition), E: (Primary Partition) . If I remove D: the system doesn't...
  6. Dual Boot: how to hide a drive from primary drive/OS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: how to hide a drive from primary drive/OS: I have a fairly powerful work laptop with lots of IT/admin software loaded. I am unable to install any of my own apps, so bought a second drive, installed my own copy of win10 and run dual boot. Everything was fine. I’m guessing work saw the second drive though and found a...
  7. Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone OS to second hard drive to boot in case of primary drive failure: I've read up on creating dual boot setups, and for a while had a second system on a partition of my only hard drive. Gave that up as unwieldy and installed a second disk for backups. I propose to install a copy of my OS on the new disk as a partition. Couple of questions:...
  8. Boot Macrium from other drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Macrium from other drive: I followed this tutorial to add Macrium to another HDD on one of my PCs and it worked fine: FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD But when I tried to do the same thing to two other PCs they would not boot to the Macrium partition. No error...
  9. Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS

in Windows 10 Support
    Files disappear from a second drive after reinstalling OS: Two weeks ago my primary hdd, a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB died, but I wasn't very worried being the drive in warranty and having a second hard drive (a WD 2 TB) where I store photos, documents, saves and other important files. I proceeded to reinstall the OS on the new drive and...
  10. Other files on an OS usb drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Other files on an OS usb drive?: I'm building a new machine and just used media creator to make a Win 10 USB drive on a 16gb flash drive. Can I store other files in folders or will that the system in some way? 104805