Windows 10: Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned

Discus and support Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello Microsoft Community, Yesterday 4/5/2021 I encountered a problem when booting Windows 10 on my PC. I saw the initial BIOS screen and after a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mr_Arkady, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Mr_Arkady Win User

Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned

Hello Microsoft Community,

Yesterday 4/5/2021 I encountered a problem when booting Windows 10 on my PC. I saw the initial BIOS screen and after a few seconds a black screen occured. I was so surprised because on the same day morning everything was working fine and the system shut down without any problems.

I entered the emergency screen to run the repair toolkit but it failed with the following error:

Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned c6382d64-5d1f-4394-887d-319b84750a5b?upload=true.png

It was so weird because my Windows installation is on drive C.

I did not install any software or drivers/BIOS updates, the only thing I remember was the warning from security center that Windows Defender is outdated so I clicked to update it operation completed successfully.
    Next, I decided to restore my instance to the last correct version 3/31/2021 but that did not solve the problem.

Then, I navigated to the command window to check the setup of disks and volumes.

I have two disks: 0 - HDD and 1 - SSD, both GPT and the disk 1 is a bootable UEFI device with WIndows 10.

Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned 3d04514b-ce05-40d6-aac1-9f1cb4599359?upload=true.png

Then, I looked through the volumes and saw the configuration has changed:

Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned 2f3c1c4e-4b08-4aee-9af7-76f02b81baca?upload=true.png

Volume 0 is my HDD disk with one partition that was originally letter D.

Volume 1 is my SSD disk primary partition with the Windows installation that was originally letter C.

Volume 2 was the recovery volume.

Volume 3 was the boot volume there was no volume letter, but I assigned V to be able to navigate to this volume.

When I listed all paritions for SSD disk I saw the same list of partitions but with information which one is primary, system and recovery.

I tried to fix the problem by rebuilding the MBR using /FixMbr /FixBoot /ScanOs /RebuildBcd - it failed on missing privileges for FixBoot, ScanOs did not return any rows.

Then, I manually corrected volume letters and rebuilt the MBR once again - it failed same as above.

Finally, I tried to manually setup the primary partition as bootable but it failed with information that the partition needs to be MBR not GPT UEFI to use the active command.

I navigated through system and data partitions and I saw all files were available.

I found the log that was generated during the repair process - I saw a number of tests executed and all of them were passed.

Now, I am completely lost and I have no idea how to fix the problem. I hope, there is a chance to fix the configuration, otherwise I will need to install Windows 10 from scratch.

I would be very grateful for your help in solving the problem.

Please, let me know if you have encountered a similar problem, if you know how to fix the configuration or if you have any recommendations on how to avoid such issues in the future.

Thank you,

Mr Arkady

:)

Mr_Arkady, Apr 6, 2021
  2. nanohead Win User

Changing the system volume drive letter safe?

It depends. Need some more information. Is your boot volume c: ? If so, then others can be changed around as needed, but there may be collateral damage. Usually, if there are pointers set in the registry, as long as you use the storage management plugin to change the drive letter assignments, most things should work.

Trouble comes in the form of applications that keep file system information (folders, path names, etc) in files that are stored in directories during installation. Those usually cannot be changed easily, unless you know that they are there and where they are....

What drive letters are you trying to change specifically, and what is the operating system

nanohead, Apr 6, 2021
  3. Mark7805 Win User

The operating system WAS on c:\ (before I changed windows over to my SATA), NOW it is on E:\. Keep in mind I have 3 hard drives at the moment.

Mark7805, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Mark7805 Win User

Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned

Ever since I reformated, my drive letters have changed besides C:\ and I would like to change back the other 2 drive letters.(One being the system volume letter) just so the programs I use to have still work. Is this safe? What are some negatives?

Mark7805, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 booting problem - volume letters changed, system and boot volumes not assigned - Similar Threads - booting problem volume

2. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: Unmountable boot volume https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/0a612465-960b-44be-ad9e-c68d9cb94c12
  3. Unmountable boot volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unmountable boot volume: How to overcome this error blue screen appears and restarts again and repeating again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unmountable-boot-volume/10422cf3-e96b-4048-b980-62475e4f4d9f
  4. Boot drive volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Boot drive volume: The bootc: drive on my computer has an allocated volume of 97.1 GB, out of which only 10.2 GB is free. Is this enough or should I extend it's volume? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-drive-volume/6ccde54a-5a8f-495e-af12-25cd044a2e16
  5. Windows 10 Volume Problem Volume Randomly Changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Volume Problem Volume Randomly Changes: Has this problem finally been resolvedsee subject?I am so tired of it, and have tried all the suggested solutions.....What can be done?krcesa...
  6. Windows 10 disk volume randomly un-assigning letter

Windows 10 disk volume randomly un-assigning letter: Hello, this is happening whilst Windows 10 64bit is up running not after a reboot to be clear both in version 20H2 and the previous version 2004 installed 31st July 2020, but not before and it was staying assigned for over a year before this started happening. My motherboard...
  7. Volume assigned drive letter keeps disappearing

Volume assigned drive letter keeps disappearing: For about a month now I've had an issue with a drive letter for a logical volume disappearing and I cant' find out why. The volume is on a RAID array, and the other volumes on the array are not affected. I've written a script to check for the volume being mounted, and to...
  8. UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME: Unhappy face blue screen "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you." Stop Code: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME Once the computer restarts, it goes to a black screen with only the cursor showing. Next steps? This is a diagnostic computer for work, so...
  9. Unmountable Boot Volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unmountable Boot Volume: I have a laptop that originally ran Windows 7 but upgraded to windows 10. It ran normally for about a year, and then, one day it froze. After restarting the computer, I got the unmountable boot volume error. I tried to repair it using the ISO. files for Windows 10, to create...
  10. unmountable boot volume

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unmountable boot volume: Hi, a computer reboots itself for ever when I turn on it. This sequence is running during 3-4 minutes (first full black screen 1 min, then the logo windows 1-2 min and, at the end, a blue screen appears just a few secondes with these information : this computer met an issue...