Windows 10: Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information.

Discus and support Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information. in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have an intermittent problem where when starting from a cold boot the PC has been powered off since the following evening Windows 10 will sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by PSJ42, Mar 25, 2021.

1. PSJ42 Win User

Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information.

I have an intermittent problem where when starting from a cold boot the PC has been powered off since the following evening Windows 10 will sometimes boot into a lock screen that looks like this:

Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information. [​IMG]

This started happening once every 2-3 weeks sometime after I did a fresh OS install last year. Sometimes the PC will boot to this screen immediately. Other times it will boot to a black screen that only shows my mouse cursor and then load into this screen after a few minutes. Once on this screen any keyboard or mouse input I've tried will cause the screen to switch to a black screen that doesn't allow keyboard or mouse input. I assume this is the lock screen attempting to display what should be the field where I enter my PIN. I've tried to type my PIN on the black screen but nothing happens. After remaining on that black screen for a minute it reverts back to the broken lock screen above.

Additionally, I can tell that the OS appears to load and run as normal in the behind the lock screen. During OS startup my Logitech keyboard's small LCD screen moves through a short series of screens and then loads a function that shows me CPU and RAM usage, as it always does during normal OS startup. This tells me that the 3rd party application that controls my programmable keyboard is running normally which implies that the OS is still working as well.

I have waited on this screen for a while but nothing else ever happens. CTRL+ALT+DEL or any other combination of keys just causes the black screen to appear. The only way I've found to get off this screen is to use my desktop's physical restart button to reboot the PC. After restart the PC boots as normal. The static picture I set is displayed and I can login as normal. I have turned off the "Windows Spotlight" feature for the lock screen as well as the function that shows "facts and tips" to eliminate possible problems related to the lock screen having to load content pulled from the internet but the issue persists.

After the problem happened again this morning I went into the Windows Event Viewer to try and find what might have caused the lock screen to break like this but I was unable to find any warnings or errors that appeared to be related. The only critical event within the last 24 hours was generated when I manually rebooted the PC to get off the broken lock screen.

I have tried my best to find any information about this online but all my attempts have turned up nothing. If anyone has any ideas as to why the Lock Screen breaks like this I would love to hear them. Do you have anything you want me to try the next time this screen shows up? Let me know.

:)

PSJ42, Mar 25, 2021
  2. JOE
    joe Win User

Windows 10 occasionally fails to login after screen lock

Occasionally (meaning, not always), after screen lock, login will fail on my Windows 10 desktop. I've tried looking online for possible solutions, but I find more topics about not being able to get to the login screen at all.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Lock screen
    2. Press key/click to access login prompt
    3. Enter anything for login information (either right or wrong password)
    4. Wait some amount of time (>10s) with a spinner
    5. Screen returns to lock

Reproduction rate: Very low, but once it occurs, it will continue to happen until restart.

Occasionally, I will also see a black screen with a cursor for a very short time after attempting unlock.

I'm not running any modifications to my lock screen. The amount of time locked doesn't seem to matter (it's happened within as little as 10min). So far, it only seems to happen after my computer has been on for a long time (weeks). The computer isn't frozen, since I can still attempt logins (and my applications and network connections are still open underneath, as verified from the network and other computers' clients). Unfortunately, it's Win10 home, so I can't attempt a remote desktop connection.

Not sure where to start looking for possible solutions to this problem, since I get so many results for other login screen issues.

3. Lock vs Login screen screenshot

You can use your own image of any background and just go to settings/personalize/lock screen and click on browse as in the image below. It should make whatever picture you use as the Lock Screen

Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information. [​IMG]

Josey Wales, Mar 25, 2021
  4. nsmth Win User

Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information.

Windows 10: How to disable lock screen to show login screen directly.

That worked!

Thank you very much!

cs

my version does not allow gpedit.msc- please provide instructions on how to skip the lock screen and go to login for the rest of us. this is a very annoying step

nsmth, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 boots to broken lock screen but OS continues to run, cannot enter login information. - Similar Threads - boots broken lock

2. Make Windows 11 show OS boot information on boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Make Windows 11 show OS boot information on boot: Hi,I have Windows 11 Insider Preview Canary installed on my PC alongside Windows 7 and 8.1. I mainly use 7 and 8.1, but have 11 because VMs are slow for 11 given my PC specs. Windows 7 is the default OS. I want to make Windows 11 show the OS Boot Information on boot like how...
  3. Make Windows 11 show OS boot information on boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Make Windows 11 show OS boot information on boot: Hi,I have Windows 11 Insider Preview Canary installed on my PC alongside Windows 7 and 8.1. I mainly use 7 and 8.1, but have 11 because VMs are slow for 11 given my PC specs. Windows 7 is the default OS. I want to make Windows 11 show the OS Boot Information on boot like how...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on login, cannot enter username

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 stuck on login, cannot enter username: After a windows update in March, I got this problem where keyboard entry or mouse click will not bring up the username box. It kept flickering back to the background screen. Windows loaded quickly so it must have been starting from hibernation. After some research, I found...
  5. Lock Screen ads and information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock Screen ads and information: Hey, On my lock screen, set on Spotlight, I am able to see some ads and information about the picture. I would like to remove the ads and keep seeing information on the picture as well as the Spotlight images.Is there a way to remove just the ads and keep the rest of these...
  6. broken lock screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    broken lock screen: issue: stuck on lock screen but it’s not showing the date and time, and nothing happens when i try to open my log in screeni cant get into my pc and had this problem so many timesturning my pc on and off works but i dont wanna have to do it every time i encounter this...
  7. windows startup lock screen frozen / cannot enter password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows startup lock screen frozen / cannot enter password: Hello, I was stuck half the startups on the lock screen and clicking wouldn't show me the prompt to enter my password. After searching I didn't find anything usefull for me. Here is how I solved this problem : There was apparently a time problem, The clock was...
  8. Press enter key cannot get login screen Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Press enter key cannot get login screen Windows 10: Hi all, when i switch on my own laptop, the welcome screen comes up. For some reason, when i press the enter key or any key on keyboard, it does not take me to the login screen. I have to click the mouse to enter the login screen and password box. However, i can click enter...
  9. Entering information

in Windows 10 Customization
    Entering information: I'm having trouble entering or changing information on some forms. When I try to enter or change the info in the boxes provided, the screen closes. For example, when I try to change the quantity of an item I'm ordering, the screen closes, and any info I've entered is...
  10. Windows 10 Change OS Boot Information

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Change OS Boot Information: In Windows 7 you could do this trough msconfig.exe abnd get this http://i50.tinypic.com/biszna.jpg while booting the system is there a way to do the same in Windows 10 Pro x64 AU? Same method does not seem to work. 62015

Users found this page by searching for:

1. screen windows sign in error