Windows 10: Windows 10 bricked our Dell

Discus and support Windows 10 bricked our Dell in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm the computer guy for a small volunteer fire company. Got a Dell Inspiron 3459 that had been running Windows 7. This model is not cleared for Win... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by VA1401, Aug 4, 2019.

1. VA1401 Win User

Windows 10 bricked our Dell

I'm the computer guy for a small volunteer fire company. Got a Dell Inspiron 3459 that had been running Windows 7. This model is not cleared for Win 10 upgrade. Somebody triggered the Windows 10 update on/around July 10 2019. It might have been part of the scheduled updates. Nobody claims responsibility.

PC is now bricked.

Dell/Win 7 restore tools don't recognize OS. Win 10 won't recognize OS/ system partition (which is why not cleared for Win 10 - yep).

Tried various BIOS/UEFI/diskpart / bcd repair hacks.

1) Is there some way I can recover the PC short of buying a Windows 10 USB install license?

2) If I buy the install license, do I need a new hard drive to fix the model incompatibility?

Many thanks.

:)

VA1401, Aug 4, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Tweaking the DELL

Having attempted to upgrade at least 3 Dell boxes, I'll give you step-by step "upgrade" instructions:

Unlatching the heatsink but don't pull it off.
    Place a brick on the heatsink so it stays put.
    Boot the computer,
    Run Prime 95 and SuperPi (32M)
    While those are running, grab the brick and whack the heatsink off
    Watch the chip explode

Buy a new compter - that's your upgrade *Big Grin Windows 10 bricked our Dell :D

Edit - step 1 is buying safety glasses

Sasqui, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 bricked our Dell - Similar Threads - bricked Dell

2. NVIDIA GTX Force 660 bricks Windows 10 with Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDIA GTX Force 660 bricks Windows 10 with Black Screen of Death: Yesterdday morning, on latest Windows 10 version, eveyrthing worked great. I shut the computer off, and turned it on again several hours later to receive the logo on start up and then a black screen of death, with monitor showcasing "No Signal". - Monitor is not the problem,...
  3. NVIDIA GTX Force 660 bricks Windows 10 with Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA GTX Force 660 bricks Windows 10 with Black Screen of Death: Yesterdday morning, on latest Windows 10 version, eveyrthing worked great. I shut the computer off, and turned it on again several hours later to receive the logo on start up and then a black screen of death, with monitor showcasing "No Signal". - Monitor is not the problem,...
  4. NVIDIA GTX Force 660 bricks Windows 10 with Black Screen of Death

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. I accidentally bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I accidentally bricked my laptop.: I accidentally bricked my laptop. It was running slow and taking forever to boot. I went through msconfig several times and got fed-up and unchecked all of the startup services. No all I get is a black screen. I restarted it to the command prompt an was able to start msconfig...
  6. I accidentally bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally bricked my laptop.: I accidentally bricked my laptop. It was running slow and taking forever to boot. I went through msconfig several times and got fed-up and unchecked all of the startup services. No all I get is a black screen. I restarted it to the command prompt an was able to start msconfig...
  7. I accidentally bricked my laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Have I bricked my Dell Optiplex? Can't access bios.

in Windows 10 Support
    Have I bricked my Dell Optiplex? Can't access bios.: I was trying to clone a HDD using Acronis Disk Director. The app showed all drives ie the one to clone to, the usb flash drive and the main drive on the pc. It appeared to be going OK but said the pc needed to restart. Strange, I thought. When it restarted, it couldn't find...
  9. Windows feature update 2004 - bricking DELL Latitude laptops

Windows feature update 2004 - bricking DELL Latitude laptops: Hi all. We've started deploying the 2004 feature update to our corporate laptops and we've noticed a number of laptops running the update but after another reboot the laptops get stuck at auto repair. I assume if has corrupted the OS, but weirdly not all laptops of the same...
  10. Dell Latitude E6430 bricked after latest Windows 10 2004 Update

Dell Latitude E6430 bricked after latest Windows 10 2004 Update: A Dell notebook, model Latitude E6430 perfectly running Windows 10 got the Windows May update to v2004 last night. Following the instructions and rebooting when prompted to, the PC restarted. It showed the Dell logo and then went blank and stayed that way for over 10 minutes....