Windows 10: Windows 10 BSOD loop after failed critical update May 2019: pre-boot to X: drive

Discus and support Windows 10 BSOD loop after failed critical update May 2019: pre-boot to X: drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I did a system restore and deleted some old programs and then the system seemed to hang for an hour, so I just turned it off. Big mistake as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Nigeman, May 27, 2019.

1. Nigeman Win User

Windows 10 BSOD loop after failed critical update May 2019: pre-boot to X: drive

Hi,

I did a system restore and deleted some old programs and then the system seemed to hang for an hour, so I just turned it off. Big mistake as I didnt realise it was immediately reinstalling some Windows updates. It now just boots into 'Preparing automatic repair'. I have tried the following options:

startup repair - fails

uninstall updates - fails

system restore - shows 3 options including windows update critical update but then 'you must enable system restore on this drive' - I think because its on X still.

When I go into command prompt, and type DISKPART and then LIST VOL - I can see the C drive, and others, but not the X drive

C: return takes me to C: In C: i tried

I tried sfc /scannow but the verification works and then 'Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation'....

I tried chkdsk /f but it says 'cannot lock current drive'...

I tried bcdedit which says bootloader and boot manager are both set at C: and osdevise is set to C: which are right.. yes?

I tried bootrec /FixMbr which completed successfully

I tired bootrec /ScanOs which found 0 - ... yet in C I can find the windows folders...

I tried in C:

• bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    • c:
    • cd boot
    • attrib bcd -s -h -r
    • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    • bootrec /RebuildBcd

Then I tried bootrec FixBoot .... and got 'access denied'

when I reboot it still goes into BSOD and then Automatic Repair. If I go into CMD i get X:\windows\system32

so none of the above worked!!Any more ideas please?

Thank You !!

Nigel

:)

Nigeman, May 27, 2019
  2. nuno407 Win User

Windows 10 BSOD loop - CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED

I have exactly the same problem that you described. My minidump is
    here
    . My PC is a TOSHIBA SATELLITE P50-C-17C

The windows only boot in disabled driver signature enforcement mode.

Thank you

nuno407, May 27, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, May 27, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows 10 BSOD loop after failed critical update May 2019: pre-boot to X: drive

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, May 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 BSOD loop after failed critical update May 2019: pre-boot to X: drive - Similar Threads - BSOD loop failed

2. Stuck in boot loop after failed updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck in boot loop after failed updates: ASUS GL10 / Windows 11About 4-5 days ago I performed a scheduled Windows Update as well as an ASUS Firmware update. On restart after update, the pc failed to boot and would loop into a blue screen reading there was a crash. I booted into troubleshoot with F12, tried to delete...
  3. Stuck in boot loop after failed updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck in boot loop after failed updates: ASUS GL10 / Windows 11About 4-5 days ago I performed a scheduled Windows Update as well as an ASUS Firmware update. On restart after update, the pc failed to boot and would loop into a blue screen reading there was a crash. I booted into troubleshoot with F12, tried to delete...
  4. Windows 10 May 2019 Feature Update Failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 May 2019 Feature Update Failing: I've been trying to install the May 2019 update on my Lenovo G50-45 laptop for about a month now and it always fails at 48%. I have used Windows Update, the Upgrade Adviser, and the Media Creation Tool, all with the same result. I have tried to do a clean boot, and have...
  5. Windows May 2019 update fails

Windows May 2019 update fails: About 3 weeks ago I decided to update my laptop to a newer version of Windows 10, since the 1803 version is nearing end of support. I chose the Windows 10 1809 October because for a month or two I had been trying to update straight to Windows 10 1903 through Windows Update,...
  6. need Windows 10, pre May 2019 update, ISO to install

need Windows 10, pre May 2019 update, ISO to install: Hello, recently I installed a new motherboard . knowing ahead of time I was going to have to reinstall windows, after installing new mobo, I downloaded the windows 10 ISO provided on Microsofts website to use for the reinstall. The problem is that the ISO had the May 2019...
  7. May 2019 Update, wont boot

May 2019 Update, wont boot: was waiting for the new May 2019 Update from Windows 10. They had a Update assistant and I thought if there was anything that did not work or not correct it would now allow my computer to be upgraded. I read about the issued with a external USB device attached so I just...
  8. Windows 10 May 2019 update fail

Windows 10 May 2019 update fail: Error occured on "working on updates" phase of update "0x80070005 - 0x2000A Installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation" Very strange as on tis Laptop on a dual boot other partition is my Insider Preview instalation which has...
  9. Windows 10 May 2019 update failed installing

Windows 10 May 2019 update failed installing: I was trying to update my pc and got a blue screen watchdog violation in the middle of this new update. My hardware is Ryzen 5 2600x with 4F Asus and 16GB RBG....
  10. BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD reboot loop "CRITICAL SERVICE FAILED": Hi there, I am in an unpleasant situation and I hope you can help me. First, I appreciate you need the correct information to diagnose - my system does not boot up anymore, not even in safe more, so I am unable to run the log collector app you require. This is what...