Windows 10: Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location

Discus and support Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A bug in Windows 10 causes the operating system to crash with a Blue Screen of Death simply by opening a certain path in a browser's address bar or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by harryhazelCWOA, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location

A bug in Windows 10 causes the operating system to crash with a Blue Screen of Death simply by opening a certain path in a browser's address bar or using other Windows commands.

Last week, BleepingComputer learned of two bugs disclosed on Twitter by a Windows security researcher that can be abused by attackers in various attacks.

The first bug allows an unprivileged user or program to enter a single command that causes an NTFS volume to become marked as corrupted. While chkdsk resolved this issue in many tests, one of our tests showed that the command caused corruption on a hard drive that prevented Windows from starting.
    Today, we look at the second bug that causes Windows 10 to perform a BSOD crash by merely attempting to open an unusual path.

Opening this path causes a BSOD
    Since October, Windows security researcher Jonas Lykkegaard has tweeted numerous times about a path that would immediately cause Windows 10 to crash and display a BSOD when entered into the Chrome address bar.

When developers want to interact with Windows devices directly, they can pass a Win32 device namespace path as an argument to various Windows programming functions. For example, this allows an application to interact directly with a physical disk without going through the file system.

Lykkegaard told BleepingComputer that he discovered the following Win32 device namespace path for the 'console multiplexer driver' that he believes is used for 'kernel / usermode ipc.' When opening the path in various ways, even from low-privileged users, it would cause Windows 10 to crash.

\\.\globalroot\device\condrv\kernelconnect
    When connecting to this device, developers are expected to pass along the 'attach' extended attribute to communicate with the device properly.
    https://www.bleepstatic.com/images/news/Microsoft/vulnerabilities/bsod-condrv/attach-argument.jpg

Lykkegaard discovered if you try to connect to the path without passing the attribute due to improper error checking, it will cause an exception that causes a Blue Screen of Death BSOD crash in Windows 10.

Even worse, low privileged Windows users can attempt to connect to the device using this path, making it easy for any program executed on a computer to crash Windows 10.

In our tests, we have confirmed this bug to be present on Windows 10 version 1709 and later. It was unable to test it in earlier versions.

BleepingComputer reached out to Microsoft last week to learn if they knew of the bug already and if they would fix the bug.

“Microsoft has a customer commitment to investigate reported security issues and we will provide updates for impacted devices as soon as possible,” a Microsoft spokesperson told BleepingComputer.

Threat actors can abuse the bug
    While it has not been determined if this bug could be exploited for remote code execution or elevation privilege, in its current form, it can be used as a denial of service attack on a computer.

Lykkegaard shared with BleepingComputer a Windows URL file .url with a setting pointing to \\.\globalroot\device\condrv\kernelconnect. When the file is downloaded, Windows 10 would try to render the URL file's icon from the problematic path and automatically crash Windows 10.

https://www.bleepstatic.com/images/news/Microsoft/vulnerabilities/bsod-condrv/bsod-laptop.jpg

We have since found numerous other ways to exploit this bug, including methods to cause BSODs automatically on Windows login.

In a real-life scenario, this bug could be abused by threat actors who have access to a network and want to cover their trail during an attack.

If they have admin credentials, they could remotely execute a command that accesses this path on all of the Windows 10 devices on a network to cause them to crash. The havoc caused on the network could delay investigations or prevent administrative controls from detecting an attack on a particular computer.

In 2017, a similar attack scenario was used by threat actors during a bank heist on the Far Eastern International Bank FEIB in Taiwan. In that attack, the threat actors deployed the Hermes ransomware on the network to delay investigations into the attack.

:)

harryhazelCWOA, Jan 18, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 18, 2021
  3. peach1971 Win User
    all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jan 18, 2021
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location

Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Hi Bill,

Quick Access is a new feature in Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane which helps users quickly navigate to locations which are frequently used. However, if you're having issues with Quick Access, you can try to disable and enable it. To disable Quick
    Access, follow these steps:

• Type File Explorer Option in the search box.
    • Click on File Explorer Options.
    • Under General tab, choose This PC in the Open File Explorer to: drop down menu.
    • Uncheck Show recently used files in Quick access and
      Show frequently use folders in Quick access.
    • Click Apply an OK.
    • Restart the computer and re-enable Quick access.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Mark Ole, Jan 18, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location

1. Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location - Similar Threads - bug crashes access

2. Windows 10 "bug" not shutting your PC completely when you press "shut down"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 "bug" not shutting your PC completely when you press "shut down": I saw a video where the person said that your PC will not shut completely since (i think) the last update. So i checked at task manager on the performance tab and i haven't stopped the PC since 5 days apparently. Just to let you know. The person on the video said that if you...
  3. That high pitched noise you are hearing on your Windows 10 devices? It is a bug!

in Windows 10 News
    That high pitched noise you are hearing on your Windows 10 devices? It is a bug!: Microsoft confirmed a new issue that is affecting the company's Windows 10 operating system. According to the report, users may hear a high pitched noise when they are using 5.1 audio with specific settings. Microsoft confirmed the issue yesterday for Windows 10 version 2004...
  4. Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 bug crashes your PC when you access this location: Opening this path in Chrome causes a BSOD path \\.\globalroot\device\condrv\kernelconnect solution?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-bug-crashes-your-pc-when-you-access/876cb0a4-0fe6-4568-9581-2e47ac09c6d9
  5. “Your OneDrive folder can't be created in the location you selected” error when moving...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    “Your OneDrive folder can't be created in the location you selected” error when moving...: I have Windows 10 version 2004 build 19041.746 on my desktop computer My OneDrive version is 2021 Build 20.219.1029.007 I have OneDrive folder at default: C:\Users\MyUsername\OneDrive I want to move OneDrive to C:\OneDrive. So I select OneDrive Settings - Unlink PC, then...
  6. Microsoft now allows you to access phone contacts on your PC

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft now allows you to access phone contacts on your PC: Microsoft Teams is one of the best ways to communicate with co-workers, but the experience is currently aimed at business customers. However, the software giant is now working on a consumer-centric feature that will allow Windows 10 users to access phone contacts on their...
  7. Windows 10 crash/bug?

Windows 10 crash/bug?: Hey guys, I just built my computer 2 weeks ago, and everything was fine until now. Specs: Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte rx 5700 XT, 16gb ram, 2tb HDD, 500gb ssd, asrock b450m pro4. I was editting some clips on OpenShot(free editor), and i tried to send one of those clips on...
  8. Wondering if you can somehow save where you left your window's location.

Wondering if you can somehow save where you left your window's location.: Hi, So I have two monitors and I keep having to move all my windows to the way I like them everytime I get on my computer. I was wondering if there was a setting or an application that saves where you last had a window opened. submitted by /u/varedra [link] [comments]...
  9. Windows 10 No Internet Access Bug

Windows 10 No Internet Access Bug: First of all, I recommend you to watch the demo video to understand what I mean: Bug demo video I've got internet connection but Windows 10 disagrees with me. It shows the "no internet connection" globe icon while I can perfectly use the internet. Btw I'm connected via...
  10. When you first install Windows 10 on your new laptop/pc...

in Windows 10 Support
    When you first install Windows 10 on your new laptop/pc...: When you first install Windows 10 on your new laptop/pc... NOW what are the first 10 websites that you visit? And the first 5 software you download? and first 10 Windows settings that you change? example: first two things i'd do is (windows key + r) -> "iexplorer.exe" to...