Windows 10: Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation

Discus and support Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Some supported versions of Windows 10 appear to have a bug currently that prevents the successful execution of the Registry backup task that is enabled... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation

Some supported versions of Windows 10 appear to have a bug currently that prevents the successful execution of the Registry backup task that is enabled by default on PCs running the operating system.

Windows 10 includes a task that creates backups of the Windows Registry regularly when the system is idle. These backups are placed in the C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack and can be used to restore the Registry.

Current versions of Windows 10, including at the very least Windows 10 version 1803 and 1809, and the latest Insider builds of version 1903, report in the Task Scheduler that the Registry backup task completed successfully when it has not in fact.

Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation registry-backup-bug.png

Users and administrators who check the RegBack folder listed above will notice that the folder is empty despite Task Scheduler reporting that the operation completed successfully.

Note that Windows 10 may notify you that the folder RegBack does not exist when you copy and paste the entire path. You may want to open C:\Windows\System32\config\ instead then and open RegBack afterward to see the content of the folder in Explorer.

Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation empty-registry-backup-folder.png

You can verify the task in the Task Scheduler. Do the following to check it and the status report:

1. Open the Start menu on the Windows 10 PC.
    2. Type Task Scheduler and select the result.
    3. Go to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Registry
    4. Check the RegIdleBackup task listed under the folder.

Windows 10 should show "The operation completed successfully" despite the fact that no backup of the Registry was created on the system when the task ran on the device.

Manually running the task switches the status of the task to running but I gave up after 30 minutes of waiting; something is definitely broken when it comes to the task.

Windows administrators who relied on the functionality in the past need to find another solution to create Registry backups until Microsoft fixes the issue.

It was a handy last-stand effort to restore a system if no System Restore or third-party backup was available to do so.

The issue has been filed in the Feedback Hub; now it is up to Microsoft to find the report and do something about it.

I confirmed the reported issue on a PC running Windows 10 version 1809 Professional and on a PC running the latest Windows 10 version 1903 Insider Build.

Now You: Do you see the bug on Windows 10 machines? (via Deskmodder)

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Jerry8AB Win User

Registry Backup - Question

Registry Backup

I am reading a book, Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It makes these two statements.

• File History also keeps a copy of your Registry.
    • Every time you start your computer, it makes a backup copy of that Registry.
    Where and how do I find these copies?

Thanks,

Jerry

5/29/17

Jerry8AB, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 bug prevents Registry backup creation - Similar Threads - bug prevents Registry

2. Bugs in Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bugs in Windows Backup: Hi everyone! There are two bugs happening in Windows Backup:1 I needed more space in my external drive, so I removed a folder from the list, manually deleted its content from the external drive and backed up again. However, the "Size of the backup" is not updating it's still...
  3. Bugs in Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bugs in Windows Backup: Hi everyone! There are two bugs happening in Windows Backup:1 I needed more space in my external drive, so I removed a folder from the list, manually deleted its content from the external drive and backed up again. However, the "Size of the backup" is not updating it's still...
  4. Bugs in Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Registry Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backups: Based on a lot of Googling and information from this forum I created the below batch file to backup my Windows 10 registry from an elevated cmd prompt. Everything is working perfectly but I have a question on what I'm backing up. Are there other registry hives/locations that...
  6. Registry Backup & Restore

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Backup & Restore: After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’. My query is that if I need to restore from one of these backups, does it completely replace the current contents of the registry, or, does...
  7. Windows 10 Registry BackUp / Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Registry BackUp / Security: Over the last few releases of Windows 10, I have become very disenchanted using 'Restore Points' as a backup for my PC's registry; although having sufficient reserved space for them they inevitably get deleted a few - inconsistent - days leaving without workable registry...
  8. Registry backup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry backup.: Hi… I'm writing for help; I need to back up my computer registry in Windows 10. In an informative way, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-backup/dd995970-3925-4591-b11b-6d5f49ea968f
  9. Backup Registry Hives

Backup Registry Hives: As many of us knows that latest version of Windows 10 won't backup registry hives which could be needed when Windows 10 won't boot because of registry errors. I have created batch script for backing up registry hives this batch script will create two folders at root of C:...
  10. Is it necessary to backup the registry?

Is it necessary to backup the registry?: When I used Windows 7, I used a program called RegBak to backup the registry. You could even restore the registry with it if the system didn't boot. I also found this article, How to restore Registry from its secret backup on Windows 10, but my "secret backup" is empty. I...