Windows 10: Windows 10 bug triggers driver update loop: how to prevent it

Discus and support Windows 10 bug triggers driver update loop: how to prevent it in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; In addition to feature and cumulative updates, Windows Update on Windows 10 is also responsible for installing drivers for components like display,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Jul 4, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10 bug triggers driver update loop: how to prevent it

In addition to feature and cumulative updates, Windows Update on Windows 10 is also responsible for installing drivers for components like display, Bluetooth, audio, and connected devices.

Windows 10 offers smooth upgrade experience for most of the users, but there is that little disruption where you can’t use Windows Update when the process is plagued with issues.

After the release of Windows 10 May 2020 Update on May 27, some OEMs such as Asus have pushed out an updated display driver to better support the update. Unfortunately, some users have come across a display driver update that stops midway with vague error messages.

According to several threads posted on Microsoft’s answer forum, Windows Update would keep pushing an older driver even when the driver has already been successfully installed and the process gets stuck in an installation loop.

Windows 10 bug triggers driver update loop: how to prevent it Windows-Update-error.jpg
    Image Courtesy: Reddit

Windows 10 driver installation loop can be frustrating to deal with as Windows Update will nag you with a warning message every time you check for updates.

In addition, an error message stating that “current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we’re trying to install. We’ll keep trying to install” is displayed.

But what causes it? Typically, the fault can be traced to one of the two things:

• Windows Update cache.
    • A bug that prevents Windows Update from checking the installed driver version.

Basically, something in the Windows Update process goes awry and it will result in an infinite loop of installation failures.

In this article, we’ve highlighted the things to keep in mind when you come across an update that gets in an installation loop midway and paralyses your Windows Update page.

How to prevent a specific driver update in Windows 10

To block a particular driver update in Windows 10, follow these steps:

1. Download “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter package from Microsoft’s website.
    2. Click ‘Next’ to start checking for updates.
    3. Click ‘Hide updates’.
    4. If that driver update is available, check the box next to the driver name. If you don’t see the driver listed, reboot the system and check for updates in the Settings. Once the update shows up in the Settings, open “Show or hide updates” troubleshooter again and select the driver that you do not want to install.
    5. Click ‘Next’ to temporarily block the update
    6. Close the tool and open Settings > Update & Security.
    7. In the Settings app, check for updates again and the driver package will not show up again.

It’s worth noting that there is always chatter about driver update loop issue, but with Windows 10 version 2004 update release, the noise is definitely louder and it’s likely that OEMs have pushed out drivers in order to address possible compatibility issues.

Windows 10 May 2020 Update is off to a robust start and is gradually rolling out to more devices. According to a survey sample based on almost 150,000 Windows 10 machines, version 2004 is being adopted by users much faster than Microsoft’s last year updates.

The post Windows 10 bug triggers driver update loop: how to prevent it appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Jul 4, 2020
  2. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Disabling Windows Update only way to prevent Realtek driver from auto-updating on Windows 10

Hi Patrick,

Since you've done a lot of troubleshooting steps just to prevent updates, we suggest you to check this article:

How to temporarily prevent a driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10
    . It contains troubleshooting steps pertaining to the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jul 4, 2020
  4. 95Viper Win User

95Viper, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 bug triggers driver update loop: how to prevent it - Similar Threads - bug triggers driver

2. How to hide or prevent an update in windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to hide or prevent an update in windows 10 updates: I uninstalled KB5003637 update to fix a problem I was experiencing, only to have it automatically reinstalled by windows when it checked for updates. How do I prevent certain updates from being automatically reinstalled after I have intentionally uninstalled them?...
  3. Preventing the triggering of emojs

in Windows 10 Support
    Preventing the triggering of emojs: I use Telegram for communication with select people, and am quite satisfied with the service it provides EXCEPT that it has a very sensitive tool for emojs which my cursor is forever unintentionally activating, resulting in the hijacking of the text I am writing. I have no...
  4. Driver update loop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Driver update loop.: Hi, Today I was trying to update the drivers I had 2 GPU´s AMD Radeon Vega graphics and AMD Radeon RX 560X I downloaded the latest drivers for rx 560x then I downloaded the latest drivers for vega graphics then I tried again for vega no new updates then for 560x but there was...
  5. Microsoft to fix Windows 10 bug that prevents updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to fix Windows 10 bug that prevents updates: Windows 10’s Fast Startup, which is a feature that provides a faster boot time when starting up your PC, could prevent updates from installing properly. Fast Startup is a handy feature and it’s enabled by default to improve the overall performance of PCs. When you shut down...
  6. Windows tool to prevent standby mode using triggers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows tool to prevent standby mode using triggers: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Junaid0005 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g7qany/windows_tool_to_prevent_standby_mode_using/
  7. How to prevent some Windows 10 updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to prevent some Windows 10 updates?: I don't want Microsoft to update my release 1809, and update to the latest Intel video driver because it does not allow custom resolutions anymore. What is the best way to make sure that these updates are not installed? 133271
  8. How to trigger the Windows Update to install?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to trigger the Windows Update to install?: Windows Update hasn't made any updates since I installed it. The interface has changed a lot since previous versions of Windows. Does anyone know how to trigger an update? 56101
  9. NVIDIA display drivers deleted by Windows 10 update - how to prevent

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    NVIDIA display drivers deleted by Windows 10 update - how to prevent: Windows 10 update keeps deleting NVIDIA display drivers - how to prevent ? After each Windows 10 update: 1) get the message "your display drivers have been updated, restart" 2) after restart only one display is showing content - the other one is blank 3) have poor,...
  10. How to prevent Windows installing video driver updates automatically?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    How to prevent Windows installing video driver updates automatically?: I'm running Win 10 Pro 64bit AE and I manually install nVidia graphic driver updates as soon as they are available as I am an avid gamer. However, since February, every time I try to run nVidia's driver install program, it has abended. I end up having to go into safe mode,...