Windows 10: Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem.

Discus and support Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I used the Media Creation Tool to perform the update to 10586. I have W10 Pro x64. All appears to be fine except for one thing. When I go to PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by streetwolf, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem.

I used the Media Creation Tool to perform the update to 10586. I have W10 Pro x64. All appears to be fine except for one thing. When I go to PC Settings|Update & security|Recovery and click on 'Restart now' my PC does an ordinary restart. It no longer shows the Advanced Options menu. Anyone else have this problem?

In fact none of the alternate ways ways to get to the Advanced Options menu work. Windows in all cases does a normal restart. Thanks to Brink here are all the ways to get to the Advanced Options menu:

Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

:)

streetwolf, Nov 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 Desktop Wallpapers - Slideshow from network location

The fix for this is currently available when you update to the Windows 10 "10586" / "TH2" builds. Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem. :)

zachd [MSFT], Nov 13, 2015
  3. th2_release professional 10586

ok. need some help please. when i try to update to th2 10586. there no updates, I'm running build 240 pro retail now..

so what do have have to do to get th2 10586? any help please

RickAbbott, Nov 13, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem.

Everything works fine under a VM after a clean install of Build 10586. Looks like I might have to do a clean install on my production machine too.

streetwolf, Nov 13, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    From Admin command prompt, type: reagentc /info
    If it is disabled then you won't see the Advanced option

topgundcp, Nov 13, 2015
  6. Thanks for this but I restored my disk. I was having other problems. For one the update created a 450MB partition on my boot/system drive. Services that should have been running at startup weren't. Also there are a ton of errors/warnings in my event log. Way more then before.

Perhaps if I update through WU instead of the Media Creation Tool things will go better. If not I guess my only recourse is a clean install. Doable but time consuming.

streetwolf, Nov 13, 2015
  7. I updated using WU. I still can't get to the Advanced Options menu just like before. Updating via WU did some fix other problems I had when I used the MCT which is nice. I ran reagentc /info and it shows enabled.Anything else you can think of to get it working? Perhaps registering some modules?

Looking at the output of reagentc I don't think this controls access to the Advanced Options menu. I think it is used to 'Go back to an earlier build' which appears right above the Advanced Option . It references the Recovery partition. My VM version of TH2 doesn't have the 'Go back to an earlier build' because I used Disk Cleanup to get rid of all the old Windows versions.

streetwolf, Nov 13, 2015
  8. mmshipon Win User

Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem.

This is very frustrating! I tried updating my previous Windows 10 software (which had been working fine) twice now and it keeps crapping out at 40% when installing features and drivers (23%). I'm upgrading my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. The message is "Windows could not configure one or more system components". It then says to restart the computer and restart the installation. I don't want to do this again unless it's going to work since it takes about 1.5 hours each time so far. I prefer not to do a clean install unless it's my last resort.

Suggestions please?

mmshipon, Nov 14, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    SO how do you fix it if it is Disabled? I checked mine and it shows Disabled:

Code: >reagentc /info Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration Information: Windows RE status: Disabled Windows RE location: Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 6a5e5ba5-6999-11e3-be70-40f02f1a4b14 Recovery image location: Recovery image index: 0 Custom image location: Custom image index: 0 REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.[/quote] Edit: I tried reagentc /enable and it says REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found.

Are you sure this affects getting the Advanced Boot Options Menu when you Shift+Restart?

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    @Ztruker
    That means the Recovery Partition was not pointed to the right place. Please post a screen shot of Disk Management
    @streetwolf
    Apparently WinRe.wim was modified and if you do a cleanup, you might get the Advanced Option back. I helped another gentleman with the same problem and he got the Advanced Option once he enabled the recovery agent.
    Here's the link: LOST troubleshooting option, advanced settings - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Nov 15, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    I have a 250GB Samsung EVO SSD for boot. Also a 2TB and a 1TB drive partitioned as shown.

Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem. [​IMG]

Windows RE being disabled is new since I upgraded to 1511/10586.

I tested and I cannot get top Safe mode by Shift Clicking on Restart as I could previously.

I just checked my Win 10 Pro X64 Oracle VM that I also upgraded and it's Enabled there.

Edit:
    I do have a Custom image that I had previously defined at "D:\Recimage\CustomRefresh.wim". It's still there just not connected any more that I can see.

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I just noticed, there is no recimg.exe on my system any more. For some reason the 1511 update removed it. No recimage.exe either.

Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem. [​IMG]

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

Ah, I see it's been deprecated in Win 10. Ignore my last post.

How do you create a custom image like you could do with recimg in Win 8.1?

Edit: I just found out I don't have Winre.wim in this folder c:\windows\system32\recovery. That seems to be why Windows RE is not and cannot be, enabled.

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
  14. topgundcp Win User
    Based on the output of reagentc /info. Your Disk 0 partitions scheme is a mess. The locations for both Recovery/Factory partitions are blank so you cannot create a Recovery Disk nor Recover from factory image. Shift+Restart also will not start into Recovery Environment.

WinRe.wim is not in this folder but in the 450MB partition

topgundcp, Nov 15, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Good thing I use Macrium for image backups then.

Is it repairable? I really don't want to do a clean install to fix this, at least not now. Maybe later.

Ztruker, Nov 15, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Build 10586 (TH2) Update Problem. - Similar Threads - Build 10586 TH2

2. Laptop fail to update to build 10586 ....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Laptop fail to update to build 10586 ....: I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop. Both desktop update fine to build 10586 but the laptop keep saying up to date after check. Even try Lan connection still no go for laptop to update. Any suggestion to force laptop to update? All running Windows 10 Pro. 29567
  3. Post Build 10586 Update Woes

Post Build 10586 Update Woes: Yesterday, Windows Update sent me an update to install Windows 10 Pro Build 10586. I didn't expect it but I've been trying to fix my Win 10 Pro installation since the two-hour update finished. I couldn't get the Start button to do anything until I restarted my system...
  4. Update to Build 10586

Update to Build 10586: I currently have Windows 10 (Build 10240). For some reason when I attempt to update my system it says that no updates are available. Does anyone know why I can't update to Build 10586? The latest Windows Defender updates install, but not the latest build. 43204
  5. Build 10586

Build 10586: Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts. Upon restart it does not...
  6. No network after Windows 10 build 10586 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No network after Windows 10 build 10586 update: I updated my Windows 10 pro to 10586 build (not insider) using windows update. And now my network connection is gone. LAN cable is connected router is fine other PCs connect just fine i even tried changing LAN cables and ports on router. I see exclamation mark in task bar...
  7. Windows 10 Build 1511, 10586 update version fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Build 1511, 10586 update version fail: Fails to Upgrade to Windows 10 v.1511, 10586 Firstly, I have bought a Laptop which including Windows 10 OEM from factory then I add SSD and Clone HHD which have a licence (all of disk to SSD). After that, I have been trying to up version to be 10586, during updating...
  8. Installation Problem (BUILD 10586)

Installation Problem (BUILD 10586): Hi...I am on windows 10 home edition ... yesterday i download build 10586 .iso directly from microsoft site since i am unable to download it from windows update...first i try to make it bootable to flash drive using rufus and ran "setup.exe" file but installation disappears...
  9. Unable to update to Build 10586

Unable to update to Build 10586: I tried updating normally using Windows Update. It fails in less than 10 seconds. I tried using Media Creation Tool. It downloads the update, but at the end it fails again and tell me restart my PC and try again. I tried deleting the files at...
  10. Leaked - Windows 10 Build 10586 th2. RTM.

in Windows 10 News
    Leaked - Windows 10 Build 10586 th2. RTM.: Here there are: *Wink [img] [img] [img] Soon more! General Public first receive updates via WU, and then OEM recovery images ... 29280