Windows 10: Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings

Discus and support Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft published a new Windows 10 build to the Windows Insider Dev channel today that brings a number of improvements including options to configure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 6, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings

Microsoft published a new Windows 10 build to the Windows Insider Dev channel today that brings a number of improvements including options to configure encrypted DNS right in the Settings.

DNS-over-HTTPS is a relatively new security feature that aims to protect DNS traffic from third-parties. It encryptes DNS traffic using HTTPS; DNS is used to "translate" human-readable host names, e.g. ghacks.net, into IP addresses that computers use.

Unencrypted DNS traffic allows the network provider, e.g. the ISP, and other third-parties that have access to the same network, to check which sites are visited. Furthermore. it is possible for ISPs to alter requests, e.g. by blocking them or redirecting them.

Microsoft announced some time ago that its Windows operating system will support encrypted DNS. Up until now, browser makers like Mozilla or Google have started to integrate support for the feature in we browsers.

Windows 10 Insiders could add support for DNS-over-HTTPS for a while to the operating system; this required editing the Windows Registry though. The new Windows 10 build introduces support in the Settings.

Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings windows-10-dns-over-https-settings.png

Microsoft added support for DNS-over-HTTPS for ethernet and Wi-Fi connections.

For ethernet:

• Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status.
    • Click on Properties.
    • Select Edit IP assignment or Edit DNS server assignment.

For Wi-Fi:

• Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
    • Click on the Properties link.
    • Select Edit IP assignment or Edit DNS server assignment.

The current build recognizes only some DNS-over-HTTPS providers by default, namely Cloudflare, Google, and Quad9. These are the same that Microsoft revealed back in May when it launched support for the feature.

Server Owner Server IP addresses
    Cloudflare

2606:4700:4700::1111

2606:4700:4700::1001
    Google 8.8.8.8

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844
    Quad9 9.9.9.9

2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::fe:9

Type or paste an IP address on the page and select one of the available DNS encryption options afterwards.

The options are:

• Unencrypted only.
    • Encrypted only (DNS-over-HTTPS).
    • Encrypted preferred, unencrypted allowed.

Confirm your selection and and check whether it is working by looking at the DNS servers in the network properties. They should show (Encrypted).

Microsoft notes that Windows 10 admins may try custom DNS-over-HTTPS servers as well. This requires the use of the netsh command, however:

netsh dns add encryption server=<your-server’s-IP-address> dohtemplate=<your-server’s-DoH-URI-template>

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 DNS leak

No, went with a different 3rd party suggestion. Works better. I'm reliant on others for my tech needs that way.

the54thvoid, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Device Encryption not avaiable

Hello Fraczek,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

• Are you referring to BitLocker Drive Encryption?
    • What preventing you from doing this?
    • Did you get any error message or code while doing this?

Before you come up with the above information, suggest you to refer the article

Help protect your files using BitLocker Drive Encryption
    and see if it help you.

Do refer the article
    Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption Step-by-Step Guide
    and check if it help you with the required information.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings

Windows 10 Mobile SD Card Encryption

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• What is the build number of the Windows Phone?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check it helps.

1. Open Settings. Then tap on System.

2. After that tap on Device encryption.

3. Try to turn on Device encryption and incase if you are prompted for to add PIN.

4. Then you can Add PIN for the Windows 10 phone.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings

1. Windows 10 build 20185 comes with encrypted DNS settings - Similar Threads - build 20185 comes

2. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot enable encrypted dns: There is no option to enable encrypted DNS in windows 10 21h1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-encrypted-dns/95a34509-c335-439d-a4e5-13ab2ebf8c72
  3. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot enable encrypted dns: There is no option to enable encrypted DNS in windows 10 21h1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-enable-encrypted-dns/95a34509-c335-439d-a4e5-13ab2ebf8c72
  4. Cannot enable encrypted dns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS

Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS: I manually set my DNS settings SETTINGS > NETWORK & INTERNET > ETHERNET > EDIT DNS SETTINGS. When I try to change my DNS Encryption for the Alternate IPv6, it is grayed out and "Unencrypted Only" is the default. After saving the settings, the manual changes reflect what I...
  6. Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change DNS Encryption for Alternate IPv6 DNS: I manually set my DNS settings SETTINGS > NETWORK & INTERNET > ETHERNET > EDIT DNS SETTINGS. When I try to change my DNS Encryption for the Alternate IPv6, it is grayed out and "Unencrypted Only" is the default. After saving the settings, the manual changes reflect what I...
  7. Encrypted DNS support windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted DNS support windows 10: I was wondering if Microsoft will implement encrypted DNS support for windows 10 because having it as feature of windows 11 lineup only is a bit rude I mean to acces encrypted DNS on windows 10 i have to use a 3rd party solution that makes my network status appear to be...
  8. Encrypted DNS support windows 10

Encrypted DNS support windows 10: I was wondering if Microsoft will implement encrypted DNS support for windows 10 because having it as feature of windows 11 lineup only is a bit rude I mean to acces encrypted DNS on windows 10 i have to use a 3rd party solution that makes my network status appear to be...
  9. Encrypted DNS support windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 20185 now available - August 5

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 SDK Preview Build 20185 now available - August 5: The Windows SDK build 20185 is now flighting continuously with the Dev Channel. Whenever a new OS is flighted to the Dev Channel, the corresponding SDK will also be flighted. You can always install the latest Insider SDK from aka.ms/InsiderSDK. SDK flights will be archived in...