Windows 10: Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10

Discus and support Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; A new version of Windows 10, build 9888, is making the rounds in a private channel and the kernel version has jumped up. In the previous version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10

Read more...

Update:
    Windows 10: Build 9888 in the wild, shows off new animations and more - Neowin

[youtube]O_hhbAAN-nw[/youtube]

Brink, Nov 20, 2014
  2. BunnyJ New Member

I wonder when that build will be available??

:)

BunnyJ, Nov 20, 2014
  3. The OS version information fetched by SNMP is incorrect for windows 10

I tried to get OS version information of windows 10 by SNMP walk, the oid get is "1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0", I got the result

"Hardware: x86 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 6.3 (Build 10240 Multiprocessor Free)"

The result is incorrect, because it shows "Windows Version 6.3", but actually, the kernel version of windows 10 is 10.0.

The oid "1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0" is a common oid that stores windows version information.

I suspect that it is a bug of windows 10.

DanielTang_2015, Nov 20, 2014
  4. Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10

Windows 10 Edge locks up

I agree. Edge lockups up as soon as you click on a reply button. Or if temperamental it can lock up just by clicking on a link. It is absolutely hopeless.

I have been through all the solutions and some provide a short term improvement but then it soon reverts to its old tricks. Now IE 11 has started doing the same.

I have a new Toshiba laptop, clean install, Office 365, yatayatayata. The washup is that there is something fundamental wrong and Edge is just rubbish.

Fed up with Windows 10, Nov 20, 2014
  5. cpupro Win User
    Thank you for the information, really find that interesting. Not about the number "10" jump but about the statement of " software compatability issues with legacy applications" for OneCore.

I hope we will be able to see this on the next version offered to us.

cpupro, Nov 20, 2014
  6. This could easily be a fake or just a random leaked tester build to see how badly a new kernel revision would screw things up. I kind of doubt this because they were clearly building 10 on the NT kernel 6.4 revision as 6.3 was 8/8.1. Seems odd they just jumped the gun pretty hard to make the kernel number 10. If history says anything, kernel jumps never end very well. vista was a mess because of third party developers coding programs to check for "NT kernel 5.x" and therefore didn't play with vista. It's the same as how it's not Windows 9 because of the checking of "if Windows version is 9x" would cause a handful of programs to crash.

I don't know... Unless if there's a MAJOR kernel revision Microsoft hasn't made anyone aware of, I'll have to see it to believe it.

Windows 10 is already on 6.4, Microsoft has said once somewhere before they have no plans to revising kernels anytime soon because 6 is good enough, and doing so would could be a big bug problem.

Coke Robot, Nov 20, 2014
  7. Rickkins Win User
    After 9879, I'm a little gunshy...

Rickkins, Nov 20, 2014
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

The 'One Core' strategy makes a lot of sense for the maintenance. It should cut down on thier cost. Whether it will do well in all the different environments remains to be seen.

9. waltc Win User
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...because it probably isn't true--or if it is, it doesn't mean anything and is pure marketing (like calling it Win10 instead of Win8.2, etc.) It's only a number...hopefully, Microsoft hasn't let the the PR weenies run loose that deep in engineering...!

waltc, Nov 21, 2014
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I can understand to a point. But that's what testing is about. Trying out the changes to see if they work and providing feed back to MS. This is not a prime time OS, it's a preview and MS does need testers and feed back.

They did point that out when you and all of us agreed to perform the testing at the start. Well, I did at least and so far it's doing just about what I expect it to do.

Again, YMMV
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Nov 21, 2014
  11. Tony K Win User
    You get an "atta boy!" for looking at this within a business perspective. Perhaps now that you have the Windows phone (and I think a Windows tablet?) you're seeing this. This also involves the cost of writing code, but ultimately it's about a familiar OS running across multiple devices. I think eventually people will eat this up, especially the commoners. Who else is accomplishing or can accomplish this?

I think this jump in the kernel may be about the addition of Cortana and especially Continuum. These will be great additions to 10. I can attest having Cortana on my phone for the last 5 or so months that this is a real handy feature to use. This is just a start.

Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 Search Button

Please look over all of the other handy features that Brink and others wrote about.

Tony K, Nov 21, 2014
  12. waltc Win User
    You get an "atta boy!" for looking at this within a business perspective. Perhaps now that you have the Windows phone (and I think a Windows tablet?) you're seeing this. This also involves the cost of writing code, but ultimately it's about a familiar OS running across multiple devices. I think eventually people will eat this up, especially the commoners. Who else is accomplishing or can accomplish this?

I think this jump in the kernel may be about the addition of Cortana and especially Continuum. These will be great additions to 10. I can attest having Cortana on my phone for the last 5 or so months that this is a real handy feature to use. This is just a start.

Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 Search Button

Please look over all of the other handy features that Brink and others wrote about. The 8.x code base/kernel already addresses multiple devices, including phones, Cortana, etc. The "10" nomenclature denotes nothing technical--Microsoft could have called it 7.444568 and it would be exactly the same thing as "10". It's more marketing goodness from the PR weenies inside the company, unfortunately--who seem preternaturally concerned that things inside Microsoft aren't "Apple enough" to suit them...Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10 ;) (If they knew anything then they'd know why the opposite direction is preferable, but what'ya gonna' do? Some people are simply so untalented that all they can do is to copy something they see being done inside another company. Apple is at "10" (OS X) so now Microsoft should be at "10." El stupido, but as I say, what can you do except behold the madness, cringe, and hang on for dear life?...Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10 ;))

waltc, Nov 22, 2014
  13. Tony K Win User

To quote Brink’s article that he linked:

Hmm. I would guess then the author must not know what he’s talking about? Neowin

More:

Doesn't look like they're quite finished yet, Walt. *Wink Of course he did go on to say that they could’ve called it anything. Is that where you got the premise for your post?

Perhaps you’re correct, but I doubt it. Maybe, just maybe they gave it that number (BTW > 10.0.9885.0) so that all MS employees know that it’s related to Windows 10 development. You think there’s a chance of that happening, Walt? And that it all may be coincidental?

Yeah, they’re really stupid. I wonder how they got to be so popular > Oh, yeah > That monopoly thing.

Copy? OS X runs across all of Apple’s devices? I don’t think so. There’s iOS to run on their mobile devices.

iOS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like a real mess and downfall to me. Even Android/Chrome seems to be closer than this.

And is the bolded the reason why users have to pay for the same app on different devices? Not so with MS Store apps ultimately. Purchase once > Run across multiple devices. Of course Apple has to squeeze profit from somewhere other than their hardware. *Wink

Ahh, most likely the X won’t change until another branding iron is placed in the fire.

OS X - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It’s technically 10.10? Why not just 10.1? Perhaps 10.10 looks better? It does look better than 10.0.9885.0 I must say > Technically speaking. *Wink

Tony K, Nov 22, 2014
  14. groze Win User
    I can understand to a point. But that's what testing is about. Trying out the changes to see if they work and providing feed back to MS. This is not a prime time OS, it's a preview and MS does need testers and feed back.

They did point that out when you and all of us agreed to perform the testing at the start. Well, I did at least and so far it's doing just about what I expect it to do.

Again, YMMV
    Jeff Jeff,
    Since you brought it up. Why does Microsoft need testers to begin with? Their employees could do it including the non techs that work there just my opinion.

groze, Nov 22, 2014
  15. labeeman Win User

Again, YMMV
    Jeff Jeff,
    Since you brought it up. Why does Microsoft need testers to begin with? Their employees could do it including the non techs that work there just my opinion. Might be because they don't know how anymore.

Microsoft does it again, botches KB 2992611 SChannel patch

labeeman, Nov 22, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 10 build 9888 shows up with a kernel version of 10 - Similar Threads - build 9888 shows

2. Windows 10 Version Not Showing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Version Not Showing: Hi, I have a little problem with my Windows 10 Pro. It's not showing the version number anymore. I have windows automatic update on and it's downloading and installing all the latest updates alright. It should show 'Version 2004' - right? But both winver command and the...
  3. windows 10 build version 1511 to upgrade windows 10 version 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 build version 1511 to upgrade windows 10 version 1803: Hello team, we are trying to upgrade windows 10 OS build version 1511 to upgrade windows 10 OS version 1803 through sccm server , could you please share the procedure of OS upgrade through sccm server. please find below version. windows client version : win10 version...
  4. Windows 10 ISO Build Version

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 ISO Build Version: I purchased Windows 10 a few months ago and have had problems upgrading to the new builds 1511 and 1608 since then, installation always freezes at 93% and I haven't had any luck using Microsoft support. I'd like to have the latest build and thinking a fresh install might...
  5. Windows 10: Battery Sense updates in 9888

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: Battery Sense updates in 9888: Every time a new build of Windows 10 is released - or leaks, as in this case - there are always small changes that show incremental improvements as Microsoft pushes closer to the final feature set for the OS. In this case, we can see a few improvements to Battery Saver......
  6. Windows 10 build 10064 leaked screenshots show up

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 build 10064 leaked screenshots show up: The past few weeks have been fruitful for Windows 10 fans with a new mobile build released and even a leaked build of the desktop version showing up online as well. Even though we do not have a new leaked build to play with this week, the next best thing, screenshots, from a...
  7. Windows 10 build 10014 images show up online

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 build 10014 images show up online: Microsoft has been releasing Windows 10 builds at a fairly steady cadence and because of this, leaks of Windows 10 builds have been far fewer than previous versions of the OS. With that being said, images of build 10014 have shown up online but don't show much besides...
  8. Aero Settings Show Up on Windows 10 Build 9901

in Windows 10 News
    Aero Settings Show Up on Windows 10 Build 9901: It's a well-known fact that many users who switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8 wanted Microsoft to bring Aero effects back in the modern operating system, despite the company's new approach for flat design. Some features, however, continued to be available on Windows 8...
  9. New search feature in Settings app shows up in build 9888

in Windows 10 News
    New search feature in Settings app shows up in build 9888: A build of Windows 10 leaked earlier today and while there aren't any major new features, if you look deep enough, there are a few differences in this build when compared to 9879. In this build, Microsoft has built in a new search feature inside the Settings app. The...
  10. Windows 10 build 9888: Offline maps arrive on desktop

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 build 9888: Offline maps arrive on desktop: One feature that has yet to make the jump from Windows Phone to the desktop is the ability to save maps for use offline. While we had seen some indication that this feature would be coming to Windows 10 in previous builds, 9888 puts all the pieces together. The build of...