Windows 10: Windows 10 built-in search not finding programs

Discus and support Windows 10 built-in search not finding programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello. I have a software installed called "eclipse". I have another software installed called "Sublime Text 3". If I press the windows-button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Phrosen, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Phrosen Win User

Windows 10 built-in search not finding programs

Hello.

I have a software installed called "eclipse".
    I have another software installed called "Sublime Text 3".

If I press the windows-button and start typing to search for "subl" - it immediately finds the shortcut for Sublime Text 3. (This is how I want it to work.)

However: If I press the windows-button and start typing to search for "eclipse" - it says "no results found for "eclipse"".

(I am guessing the problem lies somewhere with the registry editor, but that's just a guess. Could be wrong.)

Anyone know if it's possibly to manually make Windows recognize when I search for eclipse?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

Phrosen, Dec 7, 2016

2. windows 10 search not finding installed programs

Nope - found nothing. Win 10 seems to have a LOT of issues. My windows store won't open either. Just 'spins'. My WiFi list is empty unless I 'change users' and go out to the logon screen. I've refreshed the laptop 3 times to no avail. (Can I PLEASE
    have Windows 7 back? :-( )

AndreaBurgess, Dec 7, 2016
  3. windows 10 search not finding installed programs

I received this error:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use.

error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 447330e0-1db3-0000-3fd8-7444b31dd301 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 447330e0-1db3-0000-3fd8-7444b31dd301 At line:1 char:60

+ ... | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmani ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppxmanifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand
    Might you know the process to close the app it is referencing?

Thanks so much!!!

AndreaBurgess, Dec 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, first does a shortcut to both programs appear in your start menu?

You can also check here:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\

If in the Cortana search results dialogue, you click Filter, Apps, you may see more results.

For example, I have a number of start menu shortcuts beginning CD.... None of these appear if I simply use the search box in the taskbar. However if I filter the results as above, I see more, but not all.

Using Classic Shell's search field, I see them all as I would expect. No fuss, no bother. It just works.

Now, if you have a significant number of programs installed, Win 10's start menu simply isn't good at handling that, and I very strongly recommend a reliable and highly configurable start menu (free) called Classic Shell, which does this correctly. (You can still launch the Win 10 start menu with that installed)

dalchina, Dec 7, 2016
  5. Phrosen Win User
    I tried adding a shortcut to the folder in that search path and now it works. Thank you. =)

Phrosen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 built-in search not finding programs - Similar Threads - built search finding

2. Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer

in Cortana
    Windows search can't find any programs or settings on my computer: This is a fresh install of Windows as of maybe 2 weeks ago, on a brand new system. I've been getting pretty annoyed because searching from the start menu just won't give me the results I'm looking for. All installed programs refuse to appear, and most settings i.e. searching...
  3. not able to find installed apps and programs on windows search

in Cortana
    not able to find installed apps and programs on windows search: im not able to find and see apps which i download from microsoft store . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-find-installed-apps-and-programs-on/a82bdb89-1a65-4c17-a6e1-32593fcd422a
  4. Windows Search Can't find "Programs and Features'," and other items.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Can't find "Programs and Features'," and other items.: Hi all, For ages I've been unable to search for "programs and features" and other control panel items through Windows Search, but not all of them. I figured that after updating to the most recent windows feature update, something might reset to resolve this problem but to no...
  5. Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Start Menu Search not finding installed programs: I've been having an issue for a while where the Win 10 Start Menu Search is not finding many of the program I have installed, it will find some but many are missing. I can scroll down on the Start menu and find the "missing" programs but if I use search(press start menu and...
  6. Can't find programs using the start menu search

in Cortana
    Can't find programs using the start menu search: Recently I am no longer able to find any programs using the start menu search, it just gives me things like downloaded files. For example, I can't find the control panel by typing in "control panel"....
  7. Windows 10 search finds nothing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 search finds nothing: Hi group, I guess the title says it all here. Windows 10 search finds nothing, just grinds and grinds. Appreciate any ideas. 120572
  8. Windows 10 Pro (1703) - Windows Search-bar cant find all my programs.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pro (1703) - Windows Search-bar cant find all my programs.: Hello, After i updated to the creators update, some of my installed programs does not appear when i search in the windows search bar. And all my programs can be found manually in the start menu. On the indexing option, start menu is added by default. After a while I gave...
  9. 'Search Windows' option not finding select few programs

in Windows 10 Support
    'Search Windows' option not finding select few programs: When pressing windows key and searching for programs, it finds almost all the ones I have installed except from the one I actually want to find, the app is Discord. I've tried modifying the indexing and making sure its added but to no avail, any help would be greatly...
  10. How to find the secret Start Menu built into Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    How to find the secret Start Menu built into Windows 10: The title of the article is How to find the secret Start Menu built into Windows 8.1, but I just checked and it works great in Windows 10! When reading the article, follow the instructions in Windows 10 and there ya go! I usually advise readers, but this time a reader...