Windows 10: Windows 10 burn to disc not working; can't copy files to formatted disks

Discus and support Windows 10 burn to disc not working; can't copy files to formatted disks in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a dell xps 8930 purchased last December that has Windows10 PRO Version 1909 OS Build 18363.752 installed. I just discovered that I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by eee_547, Apr 16, 2020.

1. eee_547 Win User

Windows 10 burn to disc not working; can't copy files to formatted disks

I have a dell xps 8930 purchased last December that has Windows10 PRO Version 1909 OS Build 18363.752 installed. I just discovered that I am unable to format blank DVD disks DVD +RW, DVD +R, CD +R nor can I copy/paste or drag/drop data files to a formatted disk that already contains data. I have done extensive troubleshooting with Dell running diagnostic via BIOS as well as within Windows and they have determined the DVD drive is functioning fine and Dell feels that this is a software problem. Software support is not included in my warranty so I am trying to solve this myself. I have done numerous google searches but have not found any help steps that have resolved my issue. Below is more detailed information with my problem:

I have updated my BIOS to the latest version as well as all Windows/Dell required updates. I verified NoCDBurning key in registry is set to 0. The DVD Drive is recognized in Device Manager with no issues PLDS DVD +-RW DU-8A5LH and I can view files on older formatted drives. I have uninstalled the DVD drivers, restarted my machine, the DVD was re-installed but the problem still exists. I have not had any other issues with my PC ie, all is running very smoothly with the exception that my McAfee stopped doing updates. I uninstalled & reinstalled the McAfee software, was able to do all updates and ran a full scan. No issues found. I have run Kaspersky TDSSKiller scan and no issues found. I have run a sfc /scannow via Command Admin and no integrity violations were found.

When I insert a blank non formatted DVD, I do get the autoplay menu and select burn to disk, but nothing happens.

When I right click the DVD Drive with a blank disk, the format command is not listed as an option.

If I insert a formatted DVD disk done by my older Dell Computer that has data files on it, I am not able to add additional files to the disk by the Windows 10 native File Explorer software. I am able to add a folder to this disc right click Add Folder and then add a word or excel document right click in folder and add word document; open it, add text, save it. However, if I copy a file from my PC and then try to paste it to the disk, the Paste/Paste Shortcut commands are greyed out thus Drag/Drop doesn't work. If I right click a data file on my PC and select Send to, the DVD Drive does not appear in the list thus can't send a copy of the file to the DVD drive this way. I am able to delete files that are on this disk as well as copy them from the disk to my new PC.

I am able to create system repair disks through Windows Backup & Restore feature. I am able to burn music/mpgs to disks via Window Media Player but then can't delete the files off the newly created disk. I am able to add data files to a disk with Dell Power2Go although I can't delete the files via File Explorer.

I have gone into Safe Mode and the issue still exists. I have run scansrc and no issues were found. I have disabled Fast Startup one article made mention this could cause issues, but the problem still exists. BTW - no issues with read/write/format of USB drives or external SSD or HD Drives. I can also play movies with no issues.

I do not use DVDs as my major backup but do wnat to have the ability as I always have had in the past in order to share data with friends/co-workers. I prefer to NOT restore my PC to original factory setting since this would require reloading all my software. I did look about doing a restore to a point after I loaded my various applications but learned that the amount of space to manage system restores was minimal and all be restore points have been deleted. Any help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

:)

eee_547, Apr 16, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Error code 0x800703EE copying music files to micro disc Windows 10

Hi Neal,

• When you say 'copying files' are you referring to burning disc?

If yes then refer the link below suggested by Andre Da Costa on June 3, 2015
    and follow the steps below.

Burn CD's with windows 10

Do let us know if you still get any error when copying files to disk. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Apr 16, 2020
  3. PETERBD Win User
    burning discs windows 10

This is a crazy situation. I have spent the last four hours trying to burn photos onto a CD in Windows 10 Explorer, using the steps shown above. After clicking on "burn disc", for about two seconds I see a bar indicating rapid progress, followed by nothing!
    I finally tried a right mouse click and a menu comes up with "burn disc" on it. Lo and behold, after clicking on that, a CD is actually burned! Turns out that you don't need to "Share - Burn" just do the right click - but the first guy on this topic evidently
    couldn't even do that.

PETERBD, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10 burn to disc not working; can't copy files to formatted disks

burning discs

Hi Lolly,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you.

Please follow the below steps and check:

• Open file explorer and select a folder/file which you want to burn.

• Now click on Share on the top pane. You will see an option to
        burn disc.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 burn to disc not working; can't copy files to formatted disks

1. Windows 10 burn to disc not working; can't copy files to formatted disks - Similar Threads - burn disc working

2. Cannot successfully burn files to disc in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot successfully burn files to disc in windows 10: I cannot successfully burn files to my CD-R disc in windows 10. Get the "temporary files waiting to burn" message, but cannot finish the copying....
  3. Burning a Disc

Burning a Disc: Burning a Disc – I want to copy my Document files to a DVD+RW disc and beable to edit it and add and delete future files. In the screenshot, which option do I choose? Thanks, Jerry 4/22/2021 [ATTACH]...
  4. Problem Burning Disc Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem Burning Disc Windows 10: I am attempting to burn a mp4 file to a maxwell maxdata DVD-R disc using a DVD-RW Drive. When inserting the blank disc, all normal prompts come up, I name the disc and choose “with a CD/DVD player”. I drag the mp4 file onto the DVD and burn it at 8x speed. It proceeds as...
  5. Burn to disc is grayed out in Windows 10; Can't burn DVD

in Windows 10 News
    Burn to disc is grayed out in Windows 10; Can't burn DVD: [ATTACH]When trying to burn CD using Windows Media Player, if you see the Burn to disc button greyed out in the File Explorer, this post will help you resolve it. The problem only happens when you use the Windows Media Player, but works fine with other Disc burning tool. Why...
  6. Burning discs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Burning discs: what speed does windows 10 use to burn discs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/burning-discs/690a1e0e-c758-43ff-bacb-a2255bde58e7
  7. Can't seem to be able to burn disc

Can't seem to be able to burn disc: Excuse me but I am not computer savvy. After Christmas I was able to burn our dvds from my memory stick. Since then I have tried to burn last years Christmas from the Windows Media Player using the same computer and dvds. Here is what keeps coming up [ATTACH] Any...
  8. burning disc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    burning disc: I am trying to burn a short (30sec) video to DVD so I can send via snail mail to someone. I have copy and pasted file and it is sitting in "waiting to be burned to disc" when I try to burn to disc it says "source and destination file names are the same" and my options are...
  9. Disc burning

Disc burning: I can not get my HP laptop running windows 10 to recognised discs or burn them? I can play them on VLC. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I have looked on devices and printer. Had searched for it could not find. It is in device manager....
  10. Files waiting to be burned to disc

Files waiting to be burned to disc: when I want to burn a video file to a DVD and it says the file is waiting to be burned to the disc, how to I actually burn it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-waiting-to-be-burned-to-disc/a74ea1cb-bc1c-4a65-8296-f0cf83042d69"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to burn files waiting in windows 10

2. files waiting to be burn

3. do verbatim DVD R need to be formatted