Windows 10: Windows 10 can be reactivated using Windows 7 product key after a hardware change.

Discus and support Windows 10 can be reactivated using Windows 7 product key after a hardware change. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I had replaced the processor, the motherboard and RAM of my aging desktop PC. The OS was Windows 10 Home which had been upgraded from a RETAIL version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Vinod_57, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Vinod_57 Win User

Windows 10 can be reactivated using Windows 7 product key after a hardware change.

I had replaced the processor, the motherboard and RAM of my aging desktop PC. The OS was Windows 10 Home which had been upgraded from a RETAIL version of Windows 7 HOME in 2019. On attempting to reactivate Windows 10 as per the guidelines in the Support page, I was unsuccessful and the final message was "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now. Wait for a few minutes or try adding your Microsoft Account again". I tried numerous times and was greeted with the same message towards the end.

After some looking around online for solutions, I eventually started a chat with a "Virtual Agent" and all the help provided was in vain. I was then asked to provide my phone number, which I did, and a recorded message told me I would get connected to a live Agent shortly. The wait was short and I explained my issue. He asked me if I have my Windows 7 disc and Product Key to which I replied in the affirmative. The verbal guidance provided eventually brought me to a window where he asked me to type in my Windows 7 HOME Product Key and click on the 'activate' button. It took about 10 seconds or so and the message popped up saying my Widows 10 has been activated !!!

So, if you have hung on to your Windows 7 disc and product key, be assured that this has great value in reactivating your Windows 10. The indefinite waits and tries can be rather frustrating. It is suggested that you start a chat with a Virtual Agent if reactivation does not occur after a few tries as this will eventually connect you to a human interface who may be able to solve your problem.

* Moved from Community Participation Center

:)

Vinod_57, Oct 21, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Oct 21, 2020
  3. Windows 7 vs 10

Yup, confirmed. I wouldn't be surprised at all though if it still locks the hardware profile in during activation. If you're planning major hardware changes, you shouldn't use the Windows 7 key in Windows 10 setup until after the changes are made.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with Windows 7 anymore. Case in point: Windows 7 SP1 has over 200 updates to download; Windows 10? Not even a dozen. Microsoft is constantly rolling updates into a cumulative update for Windows 10 so it doesn't get update hell like Windows 7 and older have.

I really can't think of any reason to use Windows 7 anymore.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 can be reactivated using Windows 7 product key after a hardware change.

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 can be reactivated using Windows 7 product key after a hardware change. - Similar Threads - reactivated using product

2. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  3. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  4. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. reactivating windows key after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    reactivating windows key after hardware change: Hi,my motherboard recently needed replacement, and when it did, I had driver issues with my graphics card and I just couldn't operate the machine. So I decided to pull the most important information from my SSD, extract the Windows key Windows 10 and do a clean reinstall....
  6. reactivating windows key after hardware change

reactivating windows key after hardware change: Hi,my motherboard recently needed replacement, and when it did, I had driver issues with my graphics card and I just couldn't operate the machine. So I decided to pull the most important information from my SSD, extract the Windows key Windows 10 and do a clean reinstall....
  7. Can not reactive windows after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not reactive windows after changing hardware: Hello,I changed hardware motherboard, cpu and I can not reactivate windows. I have digital license. While trying to troubleshoot I get "Unable to activate Windows We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re...
  8. Can not reactive windows after changing hardware

Can not reactive windows after changing hardware: Hello,I changed hardware motherboard, cpu and I can not reactivate windows. I have digital license. While trying to troubleshoot I get "Unable to activate Windows We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re...
  9. can not reactivate windows after hardware change

can not reactivate windows after hardware change: I bought a new laptop, and I had a retail version of windows 10 pro on another laptop with digital license connected to my Microsoft account, when I installed windows on the new laptop and signed in with Microsoft account, I tried to reactivating it but, my new device dose...
  10. Windows 7 product key reactivation

Windows 7 product key reactivation: Hello all! I'm having an issue with a Windows 7 Home Premium product key I have lying around that I've been trying to get activated as a 10 key. I believe the one I'm using was an older HP OEM key. I've gone through in a virtual machine with an install of 7 with that key...