Windows 10: Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

Discus and support Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, After a reboot yesterday, the system wants to do a scan & repair of hard drive D on start up. After waiting several hours, it does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ChrisG399, Apr 25, 2019.

1. ChrisG399 Win User

Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

Hi all,

After a reboot yesterday, the system wants to do a scan & repair of hard drive D on start up. After waiting several hours, it does not progress past 1% complete.

I am able to cancel it and log in as normal but performance very slow. I can still see drive D in explorer, but get a "cant access this drive" error when trying to open it, or manually run error checker (assume this is why I get stuck at 1%) Its also showing as 0 bytes used of 0 bytes available.

Any advice how to fix? Or is the drive dead?

:)

ChrisG399, Apr 25, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 25, 2019
  3. Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 25, 2019
  4. Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

little cat, Apr 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive

1. Windows 10 can no longer access hard drive - Similar Threads - longer access hard

2. Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive: Everything was working fine a couple of days ago. Yesterday could not access my optical drive. Ran a restore point to a couple of days prior and the optical drive worked again but the Windows Search box wouldn't work and Chrome wouldn't load. Undid the restore point this...
  3. Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive: Everything was working fine a couple of days ago. Yesterday could not access my optical drive. Ran a restore point to a couple of days prior and the optical drive worked again but the Windows Search box wouldn't work and Chrome wouldn't load. Undid the restore point this...
  4. Can No Longer Access My Optical Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. No access to hard drive

No access to hard drive: I have a windows 10 and a hard drive that I can not access. It shows on the computer, when I click on it, either it freezes or nothing happens. Ive tried update drive and unistall but nothing seems to work. I have even tried switching usp ports, nothing seem to fix the...
  6. exFAT drive no longer accessible from Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exFAT drive no longer accessible from Windows 10: I was looking to use an external, exFAT formatted, drive to move files between a laptop running Windows 10 and a Mac running High Sierra. I was able to load the files from the laptop onto the 320 GB SimpleDrive. However, I was unable to access the drive from the Mac it did...
  7. Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10

Unable to access hard drive in Windows 10: I am unable to access my hard drive in Windows 10. When I right click on the drive name, select properties, select security and select advanced, I am confronted with 'unable to display current owner: change. When I collect change I see ta box which asks me to select a user or...
  8. Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible.

Windows 10 tried to Fix a storage non boot Hard Drive at post. Drive no longer accessible.: My PC boots from an SSD but has other drives attached for storage 1 further SSD and 4 mechanical drives. Recently I experienced the PC being very slow to boot up. When I realised it might be a storage drive issue I disconnected power to all the mechanical drives. This...
  9. Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives

Can no longer access all computers/files/external hard drives: My computers crashed a few days ago - power failure - when everything was back up, my external hard drives were no longer visible on one PC in my network/homegroup the files are still visible in homegroup - I just get an error when trying to access. The message...
  10. Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Encrypted hard drive that I can no longer access on Windows 10: I have an external hard drive that I had to encrypt when using on a work computer. It's protected with a password and to access files, I run unlock.exe and type in a password. However, since upgrading to Windows 10, I can no longer access the files. When I run unlock.exe an...