Windows 10: Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition

Discus and support Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi I have installed Windows 10 x64 from scratch onto an NVMe drive (A) on my motherboard. I have then manually backed up the complete partition to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Annie Body, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition

Hi
    I have installed Windows 10 x64 from scratch onto an NVMe drive (A) on my motherboard.
    I have then manually backed up the complete partition to a second NVMe drive (B) on my motherboard using Aomei Partition Assistant sector by sector method.
    This method has served me well in the past having had to do it regularly when Windows crashes! I can then delete Windows 10 on my C drive (A), copy the partition from D (B) to C (A), set to active and reboot and hey presto a full restore without too much hassle (100Gb takes about 5 minutes).
    I am now having a problem with this previously working method as the restored backup to (A) just won't boot. It starts with the logo, then I get a black screen. Moving my mouse displays the cursor and a blue 'wait' roundel, but nothing more.
    Using the media disk does nothing with 'startup repair' (does this ever work?) and bootrec options in the cmd prompt didn't solve.
    Booting the backup from (B) still works a treat.
    I then disabled all the startup options in (B) and re-copied to (A). This time I got a 'sihost.exe system warning unknown hard error.
    Again using the media disk does nothing with 'startup repair' and bootrec options in the cmd prompt didn't solve.
    Suspecting there might be a problem with the (A) or (B) drives, I did a full check for bad sectors: none found.
    I also tried both drives in each slot of the motherboard and had the same result (A) not booting (B) booting.
    I also tried the Corsair drive tools options which found nothing, so I am confident the problem is not with my NVMe drives, motherboard or BIOS settings.
    I then copied the partition from (B) to another hard drive, then from that hard drive to (A).
    This time I got a '0xC000000e \windows\system32\winload' error.
    Again using the media disk does nothing with 'startup repair' and bootrec options in the cmd prompt didn't solve.
    I want to continue booting (A) and relying on (B) as a manual partition backup (which will boot if required).
    Can anyone offer any advice as to why this method worked perfectly in the past but does not appear to work at all now?
    Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

As it's my first time on this forum I'm not sure what has happened to the reply from 'ignatzatsonic' but I can no longer view it.
    Anyway, I don't think the problem is with Aomei, either. I moved to this as the Windows 10 version of my previous manager, EaseUS, stopped letting me delete the C drive and changed to an absolutely confusing interface: change for changes sake.
    I have previously used the backup and restore several times using Aomei and it worked fine, as expected.
    But , in the interest of fairness, I have just tried copying again while using EaseUS. Same result, I'm afraid! So I think we can discount the copying software.

:)

Annie Body, Sep 26, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Sep 26, 2019
  3. make restore partition.... how?

make restore partition.... how?

im buying a comuter without an OS.. and without restore partition. is it posible for me to make the partition myself after installing an OS? if so.. how?

HiddenStupid, Sep 26, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Sep 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition

1. Windows 10 Can No Longer Restore Partition - Similar Threads - Longer Restore Partition

2. System restore partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore partition: I'm going to delete the default partition table on an old Surface Pro see first image.Now, there are six partitions and the last one /dev/sda6 should be the one to save if I want to restore factory settings see second image.Link to images: https://imgur.com/a/vjfTZdLI can...
  3. Restore partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore partition: what is this restore partition and why cant i delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-partition/bb2ebf94-ccb7-4187-a3da-4d9332993ba0
  4. Restore partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore partition: what is this restore partition and why cant i delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-partition/bb2ebf94-ccb7-4187-a3da-4d9332993ba0
  5. Can longer create system restore point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can longer create system restore point: As usual, when Windows perfoms an update it means something stops working. This time it is the ability to create a restore point. I get the error:There was an unexpecte error in the property page.System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again....
  6. Can longer create system restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can longer create system restore point: As usual, when Windows perfoms an update it means something stops working. This time it is the ability to create a restore point. I get the error:There was an unexpecte error in the property page.System Restore encountered an error. Please try to run System Restore again....
  7. Can longer create system restore point

8. Restore recovery partition

Restore recovery partition: I was working on the Disk Management window and saw there were 2 Recovery partitions like the image below with no name. One was 700MB and the other was 500MB. I could not perform any actions to both of them. After doing what I was doing in the disk management using a 3rd...
  9. Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Windows 10 System Restore and Data Partition: Firstly, I know System Restore is not terribly reliable, but it has worked well for me (mostly) in the past and so it's often my first resort when weird things happen. That being said, I do make regular images and clones with Macrium Reflect to disks in several USB enclosures...
  10. Deleted recovery and boot partitions; can no longer boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleted recovery and boot partitions; can no longer boot: I used MicroTool partition manager to delete the extra partitions on an OS drive with win10 (leaving just the main C partition on the drive), and now the laptop will not recognize the SSD with the OS on it, and obviously cannot boot. I also tried using the bootable partition...