Windows 10: Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

Discus and support Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; PC working fine this morning, tried it after lunch (about an hour ago), and it boots to a blue screen that says it encountered a problem with startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LarryHall7, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

PC working fine this morning, tried it after lunch (about an hour ago), and it boots to a blue screen that says it encountered a problem with startup and will reboot. After 2 tries, it finally comes up in a screen where I can try advanced options; Things I've tried from there:

1. Tried restoring from 2 different restore points, both tried, and then failed.

2. Tried doing Startup repair. That went for quite some time (maybe 10-20 minutes), it also said it couldn't repair the issue.

3. Tried starting in Safe Mode with networking...THAT WORKS! I'm using it in safe mode now, and it seems relatively functional. But, now I'm going to try and reboot in "normal" mode and see what happens. I am not confident.

Wondering what else I might try while in Safe mode? Appreciate any input on possible fixes to this issue.

Oh, the PC is on Windows 10 Home , version 1803, if that is helpful

Any help is appreciated!

Larry

:)

LarryHall7, Jul 7, 2019

2. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Jul 7, 2019
  3. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Jul 7, 2019
  4. Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

Windows 10 boot to safe mode

I recently had my disk drive replaced by Dell. The new drive supposedly came the initial Windows 10 image I had received when I purchased the system. I am no longer able to boot into safe mode by holding down the <shift> key when booting the system. The
    boot tab in msconfig shows only

Windows 10 (c:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS.

Is there a way to add more entries where I could assign Boot options for alternate shell or network?

I found a guide "Safe Mode in Win 10" which suggested using bcdedit as follows:

bcdedit /copy {Current} /d "Windows 10 Safe Mode"

The command came back with:

The copy command specified is not valid

Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance

The parameter is incorrect.

What parameter should I be using to create the new entry in the boot list?

AlleycatAL, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

1. Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode - Similar Threads - boot Safe Mode

2. Windows 10 - Can suddenly only boot in safe mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - Can suddenly only boot in safe mode: My system suddenly started booting into a blue screen that says it encountered a problem with startup and will reboot. After few tries, I can choose from different Startup Options and Safe Mode with network still works. I plugged in a freshly created Windows 10 Boot Media USB...
  3. Windows 10 Home- Can only boot up in Safe Mode

Windows 10 Home- Can only boot up in Safe Mode: I have an HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Home. I have not made any known changes or installed any software recently. I started getting BSODs a few days ago. First time it fixed with the "repair" option. Then it happened yesterday/today, and I tried: - System Restore Point to...
  4. Windows 10 boots only in safe mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 boots only in safe mode: I recently updated my laptop (HP ProBook 6470b) to windows 10. All went well , and I started to install the windows updates (just as everyone does) around a minute or so , the screen goes black. I can see the cursor , but nothing else. The windows also played some sounds. I...
  5. Windows 10 - Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode

Windows 10 - Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode: After power outage i tried booting up It goes past post screen, windows starts loading and then just black screen Restart - same Restart - go to advanced options, startup options Select safe mode It booted properly and i select "Restart" Then i boot into system normally...
  6. Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode

Can only boot in the system by restarting from safe mode: After power outage i tried booting up It goes past post screen, windows starts loading and then just black screen Restart - same Restart - go to advanced options, startup options Select safe mode It booted properly and i select "Restart" Then i boot into system normally...
  7. Can only boot windows in safe mode not normal mode error 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can only boot windows in safe mode not normal mode error 0xc000000f: I posted about this earlier but this time I was able to get safe mode working but there's another issue now. I tried every solution in my other thread but they didn't work and now my pc randomly shutsdown this started happening today it even shutsdown before getting to the...
  8. Windows 10 crashing and only boots in Safe Mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 crashing and only boots in Safe Mode.: So last night my computer froze, not BSOD, just froze. I had to manually restart as I couldn't open the task manager or anything. When I did that it would get to the Windows splash screen and then the monitor would lose a signal and I'm assuming it froze again. I was able...
  9. PC will only boot into Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    PC will only boot into Safe mode: Hello, My PC has been stable for several months, since I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. On Friday something changed (not triggered by any user action) and the PC is now no longer able to boot successfully. The boot cycle now goes BIOS->Blue Windows logo with spinning...
  10. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...: Good Evening, I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can only boot to safe mode

2. Windows 10- Can only boot in Safe Mode

3. windows 10 only boot in safe mode

4. windows 1903 boots in safe mode only,
  5. m11x only boot in safe mode,
  6. safe mode windows 10 can only login,
  7. pc can only boot safe mode,
  8. can only run pc in safe mode