Windows 10: Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few)

Discus and support Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The last twelve months of official unpaid support for Windows 7 have started; Microsoft's, still very popular, operating system will receive the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jan 22, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few)

The last twelve months of official unpaid support for Windows 7 have started; Microsoft's, still very popular, operating system will receive the last batch of updates in early January 2020.

Extended support ends in January 2020 and while organizations may pay Microsoft to get an additional three years of security updates, no such option exists for Home customers.

It won't be possible, likely, to extend the end of support, like on Windows XP or Vista systems, by installing compatible Server patches as Windows Server 2008 R2 support ends in January 2020 as well.

Tip: check out our overview of Windows versions and support end here.

Microsoft wants that Windows 7 customers and organizations upgrade their devices to the company's Windows 10 operating system. While it is theoretically possible to upgrade to Windows 8.1, it would extend the end of support issue by just three years.

Microsoft guaranteed to support Windows 10, the last version of Windows according to Microsoft officials, until at least 2025. It is unclear what is going to happen in 2025 though.

Microsoft broke with the "a new operating system every three years" rule when it released Windows 10. The company did not release Windows 11 in 2018 which it would support until 2028. While there is a chance for a major refresh in 2025, all of that is pure speculation at this point in time.

Windows 10 software compatibility

Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few) app-compat-issue.png

Software compatibility should not keep companies and users from making the switch according to Microsoft. The company created a special program, called Desktop App Assure, in which it analyzed 41,000 applications for Windows 10 compatibility.

7000 out of those 41,000 applications had the potential for compatibility concerns according to the Desktop App Assure team; only 49 of those, however, had compatibility issues. Microsoft fixed compatibility issues for "many" of these applications.

The company failed to provide the list of programs that are not compatible with Windows 10. Organizations may contact Microsoft's Desktop App Assure team to resolve compatibility issues with software on Windows 10.

Details on how to contact the team have been published on the Microsoft 365 blog.

The company published a video in October 2018 entitled "What is Desktop App Assure and Manage Win32 apps with Intune".

Closing Words

I'd say that software compatibility was never the major problem when it came to Windows 10 adoption; Microsoft looking into this is still appreciated, though.

Now You: Do you use windows 10? What is keeping you, if not?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jan 22, 2019

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few) [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jan 22, 2019
  3. dorsetknob, Jan 22, 2019
  4. 95Viper Win User

Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 can run all your Windows 7 apps, says Microsoft (except a few) - Similar Threads - run apps says

2. Everything Crashes Except For Few Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Everything Crashes Except For Few Apps: Hey, is there anyone who could help me figure out why this happens randomly to me? I never had this problem before but until recent I got it after downloading dead rising 3 on steam. I managed to get help from a random person in discord but the fix was very weird. He asked if...
  3. How to block all applications / programs except few

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to block all applications / programs except few: Hi, When it comes to Web browsing there is a great option in the Content restrictions section to only allow specific websites. But how about only allowing specific applications/programs and all other applications/programs should be blocked by default? Is this...
  4. App can't run on your PC windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    App can't run on your PC windows 10: I am trying to download a program using the .exe file but whenever I try opening it I get the message, "This app can’t run on your PC check with software publisher" this is happening for many .exe files that I try opening and it's extremely frustrating. I've tried making a...
  5. Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 to Windows 10 Migration - Few Questions: Hi, I'm a gamer and due to Windows 7 ended support a few months ago, I'm still at the point where I need to unfortunately install Windows 10 to keep me secure and having support for a newer hardware. I'm also planing on building a new PC in few months so I heard that I can...
  6. Apps in Microsoft Store aren't updating, except "Your Phone"

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps in Microsoft Store aren't updating, except "Your Phone": Why aren't any of the apps from Microsoft Store not updating for me? The only app that receives updates is "Your Phone" for some reason. Is this because I haven't activated Windows 10?...
  7. All the apps from microsoft/windows 10 doesn't start or running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All the apps from microsoft/windows 10 doesn't start or running: when i want to start my calculator from windows 10 it doesn't start or running. i'have tried to reset the apps and nothing happened, then i try to open others apps from windows... and it doesn't start too....
  8. Windows 10 This App Can't Run on Your PC error

Windows 10 This App Can't Run on Your PC error: some applications give this error. For example, let me give an example of a Application I installed at first normal worked no problem. after a while, application a does not receive this error when I try to open it .exe sini .every time ray makes a mistake, I replace it with...
  9. Windows 10 This App Can't Run on Your PC eror

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 This App Can't Run on Your PC eror: some applications give this error. For example, let me give an example of a Application I installed at first normal worked no problem. after a while, application a does not receive this error when I try to open it .exe sini .every time ray makes a mistake, I replace it with...
  10. This app can't run on your PC error in Windows 10

This app can't run on your PC error in Windows 10: Hey! I am getting problems downloading game "Overwatch". When running (running as an administrator) I have an error "This app can't run on your PC". My PC Intel Core i5 CPU @ 2.70 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 64-bit operating system with Windows 10 Home 88377