Windows 10: Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library

Discus and support Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All not sure if this is the correct location to post this question. I have added indexed network shares to win 7/8 in the past (same domain)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EliRipoll, May 22, 2019.

1. EliRipoll Win User

Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library

Hello All not sure if this is the correct location to post this question.

I have added indexed network shares to win 7/8 in the past (same domain) and it worked and allow searching to be done against the servers index that's host the network share. But I cant seem to get it working on Windows 10, I even (as a test) moved the search index to the very folder that is being shared, to see if windows will look for the index file on the share. I did searches on the web almost all posts and how-tos are from win7/8 period. nothing directly speaking about Win10. I even filtered searches to only look after 2015- 2019 and practically nothing. Is there a way to either get guidance on this or some documentation on whether Microsoft in the infinite wisdom decided to remove this capability from win10. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

what I have down so far, is add the index search feature to the server. Added said shared folder to the index setting on the server . then shared the folder. then moved the index in Advance to the share (for testing). attempting to add the folder from windows 10 says " location can't be included because it is not indexed "

:)

EliRipoll, May 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 Search (Indexing) Network Share

Hi folks,

After upgrading my old Windows 7 Enterprise X64 to Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSB), I lost the ability to search the network drives. With my old Windows 7 setup, I was able to include shared folders in my "Libraries", and this would automatically "index" all
    those shared folders, files and even the contents of files. It would take seconds to find what I am looking for in thousands of files.

After upgrading to Windows 10, we lost that feature. I am very disappointed the way that Explorer is designed in Windows 10. The search function is only looking for local files and the internet!

Here is what I've done so far;

- Make sure that "Windows Search" service is running and the indexing is functional.

- Enable "Libraries" in Windows 10. (As they decided to disable it by default! Why?? It was a beautiful technology and now we need to use "favorites" ??)

- Make sure that the source of shared folders (file servers) are all indexed properly.

- Add shared folders under "libraries"

- Reset/rebuild indexing

I am out of ideas and this is really a big deal for my day to day tasks. I don't want to install another 3rd party search tool on my workstation & I don't want to go back to Windows 7.

I admit it, even tough it's not at a level that I thought it would be, Windows 10 makes a great operating system. Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library :)

Thanks in advance to all.

kubilayelmas, May 22, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 22, 2019
  4. Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library

How to add NAS shared folders to Win10 Library

Can you confirm if you're getting the This network location can’t be included because it is not indexed error message? Usually, this problem happens because you’re trying to include a mapped folder, which the operating system thinks
    is a local storage, and mapped drives don’t get indexed. In this case, try using a UNC (Universal Naming Convention) path instead.

Here's how:

• Open File Explorer.

• Expand Libraries.

• Select the library, right-click on it and click Properties.

• On Properties, click Include a folder.

• Click on Network from the left pane.

• Double-click the computer where the shared folder is located.

• Double-click the folder you want to add to your library, and click Include folder.

• Click Apply,

• Click OK to complete the task.

To add more network shared locations, repeat the steps mentioned above.

Let us know how it turns out.

If you think this was helpful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Aileen Alf, May 22, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library

1. Windows 10 cannot add indexed network share to Library - Similar Threads - cannot add indexed

2. i cannot add a shared network printer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot add a shared network printer.: Hi,i try to connect a shared printer but receive error when i try to connect. it says windows couldn't connect to the printer. some of my pc can add the printer and some got error.what is the problem? all firewall is off....
  3. i cannot add a shared network printer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cannot add a shared network printer.: Hi,i try to connect a shared printer but receive error when i try to connect. it says windows couldn't connect to the printer. some of my pc can add the printer and some got error.what is the problem? all firewall is off....
  4. Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing: I'm not happy with the way Libraries collects and displays files. The collection rules are far too broad, I already know where I put my files, and it has to be using resources my already slower system would really like to have back. So, my question is 2 part.Is libraries just...
  5. Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing: I'm not happy with the way Libraries collects and displays files. The collection rules are far too broad, I already know where I put my files, and it has to be using resources my already slower system would really like to have back. So, my question is 2 part.Is libraries just...
  6. Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Indexing by Library

Windows 10 Indexing by Library: I'm looking for a way in Windows 10 to only search by library and only search 3 libraries. I want to be able to hit the Windows key, type a search term and only have results from Music, a custom library for full albums, and Video and nothing else. Is this possible?...
  8. cannot add a drive in indexing option

in Windows 10 Customization
    cannot add a drive in indexing option: any idea how to add my D drive into indexing location, [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-add-a-drive-in-indexing-option/b5c3ea86-2561-4783-8ec6-a8a76528c1ef
  9. Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...

Indexing Network Drives is not working / Trying to Add Network Drive to Indexing option is...: Hello, I am running into an issue with a few of our windows 10 computers. When they are trying to search a network drive, the search take a very long time (some times does not even search) to search and even if it does search, it is not getting everything I need. I can be...
  10. Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot add a Drive to Indexing Options: Hi. I’m hoping someone can tell me how to get my E drive indexed for searching purposes. As you can see from the pic, it’s just not ‘addable’… I have an SSD dedicated to the OS and two HDDs (E and F). I recently had a problem with some files on the E drive in that I was...