Windows 10: Windows 10 Cannot Boot - "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found"

Discus and support Windows 10 Cannot Boot - "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I have a Dell XPS 13 (9350) and was trying to update my Windows 10 install and it borked my dual-boot system. I was trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aahmad, Oct 18, 2017.

1. aahmad Win User

Windows 10 Cannot Boot - "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found"

Hello Everyone,

I have a Dell XPS 13 (9350) and was trying to update my Windows 10 install and it borked my dual-boot system. I was trying to install the Win10 Fall Update, and increased my GPT (EFI) partition to be able to install it, and now my computer will not boot:
    Imgur

I found the following document on how to repair EFI partitions:
    https://www.easeus.com/partition-man...8-7.html#part5

However, when trying to repair the EFI partition, I get an access is denied when trying to run the "bootrec /fixboot" command.

Can anyone help me out please ASAP? This is my computer for school! =(

Thanks!

:)

aahmad, Oct 18, 2017

2. BCD error: "missing or contains errors" yet the same BCD boots successfully from a USB stick

I've copied the EFI boot partition for my Windows 10 installation to another disk. If I try to boot from that other disk (by running EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi in the EFI shell), I get error code 0xc0000225 with a message similar to the following:

Windows failed to start...

The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

But... If I recursively copy the EFI folder from that same disk (the one I couldn't boot from) to a usb stick, I can boot from the usb stick with no error (once again, running bootmgfw.efi in the EFI shell). This tells me that the BCD exists
    and isn't corrupt; indeed, the contents of the file system on the usb stick should be identical to the one on the disk that produced the error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brett S.

BrettStahlman, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Blank light blue screen on boot in Windows 10 after Bitlocker encyption

I've had 1 machine this hasn't worked on...

Windows 10 Lenovo Yoga

I get this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]

(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bfsvc.exe %windir%#boot /v

BFSVC: ServiceBootFiles MuiOnly:n Res:y Fonts:y BootMgrOvw:nBootStatOvw:n DbgTransports:y CreateSetupObj:n

BFSVC: Unable to open file C:\WINDOWS#boot\Resources\BOOTRES.DLL for read because the file or path does not exist

BFSVC Warning: Failed to determine source OS version.

BFSVC: Unable to open file C:\WINDOWS#boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi for read because the file or path does not exist

BFSVC Error: Failed to validate boot manager checksum (C:\WINDOWS#boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi)! Error code = 0xc1

SamPugmire, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Windows 10 Cannot Boot - "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found"

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below commands into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following commands will repair Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector and BCD Store.

Code: Bootrec /FixMbr Bootrec /FixBoot Bootrec /RebuildBcd[/quote]

FreeBooter, Oct 18, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 Cannot Boot - "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found"

1. Windows 10 Cannot Boot - "/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi not found" - Similar Threads - Cannot Boot EFI

2. Root cause found: Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot \resources\custom\bootres.dll is...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Root cause found: Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot \resources\custom\bootres.dll is...: recently i connected my flash drive to my system but it was in accesible so i decided to restart my computer and when it loads to my surprise it froze on “preparing automatic repair”. Then i went to a bunch of websites including this and now am in note pad with an error named...
  3. Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt.: Windows 10 1803 Dec. Cumulative Update caused failure to startup normally. Several attempts to Automatic Repair failed. Log notes: Boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is corrupt. Do I need to download the ISO to fix the problem?...
  4. root cause found: boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is...

root cause found: boot critical file c:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll is...: Hello Community, I recently had a Windows update, on 12/11/2018, and restarted my HP Envy, then when I Windows turned on after restart, I received another notice of another update. I hit restart and they downloaded, and when the computer was booting back up, I started...
  5. upgrading to SSD and unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI hidden)

upgrading to SSD and unable to boot into Windows10 (EFI hidden): Hi, I am unable to boot into windows 10 after completing the installation successfully. PC is HP Prodesk G3 small form factor (business PC) All files are being written to the SSD but just can not boot. The disk is GPT and secure boot is enabled. I am unable to find an...
  6. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?: I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again.. Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type...
  7. Windows Boot Manager EFI\Microsoft\boot\bcd status 0xc0000225

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Boot Manager EFI\Microsoft\boot\bcd status 0xc0000225: Hello all I am currently having trouble booting into windows 10.I have tried to do a automatic repair from the media creation tool, troubleshoot using command prompt. I have tried using diskpart but nothing works, i dont know if i missing something please help....
  8. Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition.

Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition.: Okay, so the other week i received a new Clevo P650SE laptop. The laptop only had a 500GB 7200RPM HDD with Windows 10 to begin with, so yesterday i added my Samsung 840 EVO SSD. As i wanted this to now be the primary drive, i made another new installation of Windows onto...
  9. How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to make an EFI Win10 boot instruction in EFI partition?: Hi all. There are hundreds of posts in these forums and on the internet about EFI and Windows 10 booting, but I can't seem to find a single one that describes how to boot Windows from an EFI partition. Short Background ------------------------ I have a 512GB SSD...
  10. Disk Boot Failure, Attempting to restore EFI partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Boot Failure, Attempting to restore EFI partition: Had a power loss and while I have my workstation on a battery backup I on impulse just killed the power to my PC instead of doing a proper shutdown. I had just completed a steam game installation at this point (Mafia III, not sure if this is relevant though). Long story...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows boot manager bootmgfw.img not found

2. /efi/microsoft/boot/bootmgfw.efi not found

3. failed to determine source os version

4. windows 10 x64 BFSVC: Unable to open file \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Boot\bootmgr for read because the file or path does not exist,
  5. efi boot bootx64.efi not found,
  6. efi\microsoft\boot path not found,
  7. file bootmgfw.efi not found,
  8. windows efi not found,
  9. c: efi microsoft boot resource,
  10. bfsvc failed to validate boot manager checksum,
  11. failed to validate boot mana