Windows 10: Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

Discus and support Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by YukonDanger, May 4, 2022.

1. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives for general storage - I have disconnected most of them in order to isolate the issue:Windows cannot boot unless the 2TB HDD is connected. Somehow there are windows files necessary for booting on the 2TB HDD.If I disconnect the 2TB HDD and try to boot, I get the message "Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Med

:)

YukonDanger, May 4, 2022

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, May 4, 2022
  3. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, May 4, 2022
  4. Hood Win User

Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

New Secondary Drive Causes Boot Failure Windows 10

For the second time now, Windows 10 failed to boot after initializing and formatting a spare drive (using Windows Disk Management). After the boot fail, UEFI boot settings were still set to boot from Windows Boot Manager, but it still wouldn't boot, just goes into diagnostic mode, fails to repair boot problem, and goes to the repair menu. In advanced options I can then load a recent image (made with Windows 7 Backup and Recovery in control panel), and everything goes back to normal. My question is what causes this problem, and how do I repair it without re-imaging Windows? I don't recall ever having this problem in other Windows versions, only in Windows 10. Anyone else notice this problem?

Hood, May 4, 2022
Thema:

Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

1. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed - Similar Threads - cannot boot without

2. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  3. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  4. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  7. Windows 10 won’t boot after installing secondary hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 won’t boot after installing secondary hard drive: Hi,After installing a new M2 drive into my PC, installing Windows etc, it all worked great. I then wanted to install my old M2 also, for the extra space. As I did so, the PC booted from the old drive, and the old became C:/ and new D:/. I have since been unable to boot from...
  8. PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed

in Windows 10 Support
    PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed: So whenever I remove my secondary drives at all for any reason it will no long boot into windows and will say something along the lines that it cannot detect the drive with windows 10. So I end up not being able to boot into windows. this is a problem because one of my HDDs...
  9. Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot from SSD with my Windows install without secondary HDD: My PC is a real mix of old and new parts and I currently have a problem where my 2TB mechanical HDD is failing. It is 100% active all the time, but frequently hangs or simply takes forever to browse or transfer any files, so I'm pretty sure it is on the way out. When I remove...
  10. Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive: All right, so I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is installed to the SSD, but apparently Windows likes to create a boot partition on every drive that's connected when you install, which led to me not being able to boot without the secondary drive. This is usually not a problem...