Windows 10: Windows 10 cannot change display language ! tried everything!

Discus and support Windows 10 cannot change display language ! tried everything! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my laptop was purchased in China which came with authentic windows 8.1. I recently upgraded to windows 10 through official pop up notification.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by henryluyu, Aug 31, 2015.

1. henryluyu Win User

Windows 10 cannot change display language ! tried everything!

So my laptop was purchased in China which came with authentic windows 8.1. I recently upgraded to windows 10 through official pop up notification. However after trying all means I couldn't alter the display language.

In the settings-region and language-language-add a language
    I am able to add any language in here but when I click options in one of the added language, there's no option of "download language pack" as many tutorials on internet.
    I have tried under English (United Kingdom) "set language as primary" but after restart, nothing's changed . Still display Chinese.

In control panel-add a language-options-windows display language
    Again there's no option of setting a new language as display language, it says under windows display language "not available in this version of Windows" (something like this, I did the translation).

I can add or change input keyboard without problem.

The version of windows currently in my laptop is "Windows 10 Home Chinese Version" (something like this, again I did the translation). Is this the reason I can't change display language? Someone please help?

:)

henryluyu, Aug 31, 2015
  2. hugh012 Win User

English language issue

I Recently bought a laptop in Kuwait

The OS is Windows 10 Single Language(Arabic).

I want to change it Windows 10 English.

I need the Display Language to be in English because I can't understand everything .

I tried changing it in settings and control panel . What should I do ?

hugh012, Aug 31, 2015
  3. amn1129 Win User
    Is it possible to buy a language pack

I changed it. it's not a problem with any version of windows. What I want is to change the display language of windows 10, i.e. turn everything on the screen to arabic language.

Thanks !

amn1129, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Henry, welcome to the Ten Forums.

It seems that you have got a so called Windows Single Language edition:

The above quote is from the Windows 8 editions page in Wikipedia but the same applies to Windows 10. There's no way to change the display language of a Single Language edition, apart from reinstalling Windows using a normal Home or Pro install media.

5. SoxmisUK Win User
    I had this with a student's laptop that came into my shop and the lad was from Russia with a W7 lappy that was all Cyrillic. In the end I had to take the windows key using jelly beans utility, then do a fresh install from scratch and selecting English as the original language.

The language packs are only supplied to enable the user to write in a certain native language and do not change the OS base language.

I would back up what you can then start with a fresh install and choose English in the installation setup.

SoxmisUK, Aug 31, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    That is most definitely not true! I use Windows mainly in English but I have user accounts on each PC also in my two native languages Finnish and Swedish, as well as a user account in German.

When a language pack is applied it completely changes the Windows display language for the selected user account.

7. henryluyu Win User
    Thanks Kari, it looks like so, I thought microsoft would give me an option of display language when upgrading win8.1 to windows 10 but it didn't, very frustrating and can't see the point of making this kind of single language version of windows. Well thanks anyway.

henryluyu, Aug 31, 2015
  8. henryluyu Win User

Well for a normal version of Windows you are correct but for the one I'm currently having on my laptop, it seems true that changing display language is not allowed.

henryluyu, Aug 31, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    As I said, when a language pack is applied, the complete display language of that user account will be changed. Language packs can't be used / applied in Single Language editions, ergo my statement is still valid.

10. SoxmisUK Win User
    Allright keep yer hat on... *Smile I must have been playing with a single language pack at that time eh? Well done.

SoxmisUK, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 cannot change display language ! tried everything! - Similar Threads - cannot change display

2. Change Windows 10 Display Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Windows 10 Display Language: When I first opened my computer after buying it, it asked me to pick a language. I accidently clicked on Portuguese, and now my entire computer is in Portuguese, which I don't speak very well. I read the tutorials and tried to change the display language to English via...
  3. Cannot remove a language pack - tried everything. Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot remove a language pack - tried everything. Help: Heya! So I recently purchased a second hand laptop in the Netherlands and surprise surprise, it had a Dutch language pack. I started from fixing my language settings by removing and added my preferred languages. All is good, English and Bulgarian. I restart the computer...
  4. Changing Windows 10 Display Language

Changing Windows 10 Display Language: I am able to download language packs but there is no option as setting them as default language. I searched help online but it didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-windows-10-display-language/95ecb1e5-01b8-4f8f-81e4-562d36ca65ef
  5. Cannot change Windows 1903 display language

Cannot change Windows 1903 display language: Hi We have several language in our company but with Windows 10 1903 it seems there is no language pack like 1709 for example ... in Settings - Language i cannot installed other display language (only English). here i try to add japanese one (but same with german)...
  6. Cannot change my display language on Windows 10

Cannot change my display language on Windows 10: Hi Microsoft Community, I recently purchased a new laptop in China (with Windows 10) and wanted to change the display language from Simplified Chinese to US English. I was able to change my the keyboard, text-to-speech, handwriting and even Cortana to English, but for...
  7. Windows 10 pro - Cannot change the display language system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 pro - Cannot change the display language system: Hey, I'm trying to change my system language display andit does not work for me. Every time that i choose the option "set as a default" the hebrew language just go up in the list but nothing change, my system display are still English. I read some forums andafter the...
  8. Cannot change Windows Display Language

Cannot change Windows Display Language: I have set my default language to English (South Africa) but I cannot change the display language from English (United States). The dropdown menu only has English (United States). Any ideas on how to fix this?...
  9. Change Display Language in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Display Language in Windows 10: How to: Change Display Language in Windows 10 How to Change Display Language in Windows 10 The display language you select changes the default language used by all Windows features like Settings and File Explorer. See also: Manage the input and display language...
  10. Change Windows 10 Display Language

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Windows 10 Display Language: I seem to remember changing the display language in Windows 8 (or 8.1, I forget) but I no longer seem to be able to in after upgrading today to Windows 10. (Want to change display language to English) Versions: Windows 8 Home, Windows 10 Home If I go into settings and...