Windows 10: Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L

Discus and support Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My setup is as follows: - A Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 machine with an old HP LaserJet 6L plugged into it via the LPT2 port. - The HP LaserJet 6L is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by So-Frustrated, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L

My setup is as follows:

- A Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 machine with an old HP LaserJet 6L plugged into it via the LPT2 port.

- The HP LaserJet 6L is shared and accessible to all

- A Windows 10 10.0.19042.685 machine, plugged into the same subnet as the Windows 7 machine.

When I browse the network with the Win 10, computer, I do see the printer:

Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L 6986470e-73c2-47cf-ac49-bbc3c458ae83?upload=true.png

However, when I try connecting to it by double-clicking, the operation times out. I'm asked to install drivers, at which point I'm told I cannot connect to the printer.

Thing, this setup worked perfectly until very recently. I'm suspecting that some automatic update to Win 10 and/or Win 7 is the culprit. Please help. Thank you.

:)

So-Frustrated, Dec 20, 2020
  2. davenjo69 Win User

hp laserjet 6L on Windows 10

Laserjet 6L works on Windows 10. However, every time Windows 10 updates I must reinstall the proper driver. To do so I go into device manager, click on printers, right click on Laserjet 6L, select update driver, select browse my computer for driver software,
    select let me pick from device drivers on my computer. Two drivers appear. The first is HP Laserjet 6L. The second is HP Laserjet 6L PS class driver. I select the HP Laserjet 6L PS class driver and click on next. The computer proceeds to install the HP
    Laserjet 6L class driver. However, this is not the correct driver. Therefore, after the install I repeat the process but this time select HP Laserjet 6L. The computer then installs it and my printer once again works as it should. After the install when
    sending something for printing the first time I get the message that the printer is out of paper even though the printer recognizes paper is present. It takes a little time, but finally it prints. After that everything works fine until Windows 10 again updates
    which makes the whole process once again necessary. It would be nice if a fix could be found for this. Microsoft, are you listening? Anybody got a clue?

davenjo69, Dec 20, 2020
  3. mwashbyii Win User
    Windows 10- Windows Update constantly updating HP LaserJet 6L driver

If I open Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 6L Printer Properties

under General it states the model as HP LaserJet 6L PS Class Driver

Features:

Color: Yes

Double-sided: No

Staple: Yes

Speed: Unknown

Maximum Resolution: 1200 dpi

Therefore this is a problem as the 6L is Black only and
    does not
    staple

If states within the Microsoft Windows 10 compatibility site that the HP LaserJet 6L is not compatible.

C3990A

Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L [​IMG]

Not compatible

Visit the device manufacturer's website

When I went to the HP website I got nowhere within drivers and support

Then, I went to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-printer-problems

ran the printer troubleshooter, when I selected from within MS Office I got the same problems as previously listed (Page 1:...)

mwashbyii, Dec 20, 2020
  4. LucindaL Win User

Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L

HP laserJet 6l not working after windows 10 November update

After days of failed attempts, my printer was still spitting out pages of ... not what I wanted, that annoying, wasteful page after page of a line or two that were not the Test Page. I found a workaround offered on the HP Support Forum today. This worked
    for me, using my parallel-to-USB cable, as below, on a PC laptop (1 year old) running the recent upgrade to Windows 10, 64 bit. As instructed below, I did stop trying to use the "HP LaserJet 6 PS Class Driver," and I did have to assign a different USB port,
    then figure out which USB port [jack] was being affected. I had gone a year printing everything from my old laptop. Now I feel okay about putting Windows 10 on that laptop, too. These printers are workhorses and economical, and I know others, too, unwilling
    to part with them.

Re: Windows 10 driver for HP Laserjet 6L
    offered by a contributor in the HP Support Forum ‎04-18-2016
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ scroll
    down to find the entry

"Instructions for Installing HP Laserjet 6l on Windows 8 or 10 Computer
    1. Before doing anything, click on "Windows Update" and let it run (takes a few minutes). If you didn’t have the correct driver before then that should give it to you.

2. Control Panel - Devices and Printers

3. Click on "Add a Printer"

4. Click on "The printer that I want isn't listed"

5. For "Parallel to USB" connection, choose "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"

6. Pick an existing port. I use a cable that has LPT port (Parallel plug) at one end, USB at the other end. So my choice is USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB). Change it if it says “LPT 1”
    if necessary.

7. Now you see the list of manufacturers and models.

8. Select HP as the model, and select HP "LaserJet 6L" as the printer. Without Windows Update, it will only show "HP LaserJet 6 PS Class Driver", which causes the problem. Stick to "HP LaserJet
    6L"

9. The rest is straight forward. Print a test page and check if it comes out right.

If the above doesn’t work, try swapping USB ports on computer (USB 2 to USB 3 or vice-versa). The above was successful for me in Windows 10, 64bit."

LucindaL, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L

1. Windows 10 "cannot connect to the printer" HP LaserJet 6L - Similar Threads - cannot connect printer

2. HP laserjet 1012 printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP laserjet 1012 printer: I purchased a new desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 10 or 11. I can't seem to get my "old" printer to work with it. It shows up in my device settings but won't print a test page. I'm unable to locate drivers for it on Dell's website. Is my printer simply too old for...
  3. HP laserjet 1012 printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HP laserjet 1012 printer: I purchased a new desktop, a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 10 or 11. I can't seem to get my "old" printer to work with it. It shows up in my device settings but won't print a test page. I'm unable to locate drivers for it on Dell's website. Is my printer simply too old for...
  4. my old HP Laserjet 6L printer not printing driver down loaded PCL5

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    my old HP Laserjet 6L printer not printing driver down loaded PCL5: Problem with printerDetectedThere might be problems with HP Universal Printing PCL 5. Windows will take additional steps to further troubleshoot....
  5. HP Laserjet 6L

HP Laserjet 6L: I installed Windows 10 and I already have the printer HP Laserjet 6L and it was working with Windows 8.1. I can't find the new driver. Is someone had this problem? Did you have a solution? Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 64x Home v2004 build 19041.329 & HP Laserjet 6L

Windows 10 64x Home v2004 build 19041.329 & HP Laserjet 6L: I have reformatted and reinstalled win10 64x and now unable to get HP LJ 6L to work. Printer is a parallel printer connect via USB and has worked great for 5 years with last version of Win10 that was loaded. I have downloaded the first 3 cabs of windows updates for HPLJ6L...
  7. HP 3390 LaserJet printer

HP 3390 LaserJet printer: I have a problem with my HP 3390 laserjet printer. I connected it to my new Surface laptop but cannot use it. Can you help me with this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-3390-laserjet-printer/a74a2323-12a2-4215-9d0a-5152cc121e18
  8. Windows 10 Not Detecting HP LaserJet Older Printer

Windows 10 Not Detecting HP LaserJet Older Printer: I tried everything to fix this and all the suggestions but all did not work until I discovered this. This fixed my issue and I was able to get my driverless printer for Windows 10 to work. I hope this helps you as well. I appreciate the suggestions and wanted to share this as...
  9. Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10

Installing HP Laserjet 4 printer with Windows 10: I have been using my HP Laserjet 4 for many, many years and it's still working. I still have a couple of cartridges to use. I can't seem to print from my new Windows 10 laptop to this printer. I understand the driver may no longer be available. If the HP4 works on the old...
  10. HP Laserjet 4 and HP Laserjet 5M Windows 10 connection instructions

HP Laserjet 4 and HP Laserjet 5M Windows 10 connection instructions: Follow these instructions to connect your HP Laserjet 4 and Laserjet 5M printers to your computer if you are running Windows 10. --press the Windows icon in the lower left corner --select "settings" --select "devices" --select "add printers & scanners" --select "add...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot