Windows 10: Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore

Discus and support Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For now, use the 2nd method. Right click at Start button > click Search. I'll try to find the tutorial for enabling Cortana Search. as i said twice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by VenKazi, May 7, 2016.

1. VenKazi Win User

Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore

as i said twice now (not getting an attitude just saying) clicking on that does nothing

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  2. davidhk Win User

Perhaps we are not in the same page.

First suggestion was to click at the Cortana search box. That, you said it does not work.

2nd suggestion was to RIGHT click at the Start button.
    See my screenshot on Post #11.

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  3. VenKazi Win User
    i swear, i right click the start button i get whats in post #11 and when i click on it nothing

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  4. VenKazi Win User

[youtube]1hPlefv2j24[/youtube]

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have only 3 more suggestions :

1. On your Post #12, you said "......also that search says for windows and web....."
    Apparently you have Cortana disabled, because if Cortana is enabled, the search bar will say "Ask me anything".
    So, use this tutorial and enable Cortana
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...a.html#option2

** Perhaps, if you don't mind, put the taskbar back to the bottom horizontally. Until the problem is resolved ? **

2. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

3. Do a Repair Install
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  6. VenKazi Win User
    i cant even turn it on because to do that you need to click on the magnifying glass, and surprise nothing happens so i cant exactly turn cortana on (no pun intended) and windows+s does nothing either

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Well. Suggestions #2 and 3.

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  8. VenKazi Win User

well it was report number 1, should i try number 3 anyways?

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Yes.
    After repair install is completed, please try to enable Cortana. That will simplify matter a lot.

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  10. VenKazi Win User
    two things.
    1: i havent read into it much but will repair install is done would i loose all my stuff i:e games, pictures etc
    2: are you sure there isnt something wrong with my windows services namely windows search? something i can do that will get the magnifying glass to work etc

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    #1. Repair Install allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.

#2. I do not have answer for that.
    If you wish, please wait a bit. Someone might come along with an answer for that.

Side note :
    This is just my speculation. I have no proof for that. None whatsoever.
    I have the feeling you have done one registry editing too many.

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  12. VenKazi Win User
    by registry editing what do you mean?

VenKazi, May 7, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

If you ask this question, then my speculation is unfounded and completely wrong.
    I apologize. Please disregard.

davidhk, May 7, 2016
  14. VenKazi Win User
    not sure if insult on my intelligence or genuine mistake (its fine you helped me a bit anyhow)

VenKazi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 cannot search programs anymore - Similar Threads - cannot search programs

2. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Cortana
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  3. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore: I suddenly can't open installed programs like Steam or Skype through the search bar in the start menu on Windows 10.I can use Win+R to run apps.The same issue was reported back in 2017 but none of the solutions there helped me.The folder mentioned in the solution there...
  4. Can't open programs through the start menu search anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 search bar not showing recently searched apps anymore

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search bar not showing recently searched apps anymore: Hi!I used to open my windows search bar and it gives me my recently searched apps by default, but now I have to click on the "Apps" tab to see that.Figure 1. How I my search bar was when I click it/activate Search via shortcutA few days ago, I noticed it wasn't like this...
  6. start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu search is not searching programs anymore after 2004 update: i use my start menu to find and open all of my programs, i just typed the name and hit enter. much faster than finding it on the desktop or in the start menu side bar. i just updated my pc to 2004 today and now no programs come up in search when i start typing from the start...
  7. Cannot backup anymore in windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot backup anymore in windows 10: I have the latest update from w10 and now i cannot create a total backup anymore https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-backup-anymore-in-windows-10/a0d8eaaf-5903-4fd4-9b2a-129f9df516b8
  8. Can't search in Windows anymore or uninstall programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't search in Windows anymore or uninstall programs: So some context. This started about 3 days ago to be exact before I updated my windows to the latest version today. 3 days ago I noticed I could not right click to copy or paste as the options were no longer in the selection. That was fine since I had control c and v. Fast...
  9. cannot search anymore my pdf files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot search anymore my pdf files: Hello since today my windows 10 is not able to search pdfs correctly. given a folder containing >1000 pdf files, I want to list all the files containing a given keyword within the document. I was able to do that until yesterday using windows explorer and typing the keyword...
  10. cannot click on searched for programs

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot click on searched for programs: Hi, Whenever I search for a program in Start Menu, I cannot click on it. And I cannot right-click on it either. It's stuck like that. Everything else works correctly. For some reason not all programs act like that. For instance, when searching for it, I cannot click on...