Windows 10: Windows 10 can't access files on Win7 computer

Discus and support Windows 10 can't access files on Win7 computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I just set up a new computer and I'm trying to transfer a whole lot of files from the old computer to the new one. I see that there is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JonasBK, Apr 3, 2020.

1. JonasBK Win User

Windows 10 can't access files on Win7 computer

Hello,

I just set up a new computer and I'm trying to transfer a whole lot of files from the old computer to the new one.

I see that there is no more Homegroup in Win 10 but I read an article that said you can disable password protected sharing on the computer that you are trying to access.

This works except that under Users I can only access the Public and Default folders. I can't access my own files.

I have tried left-clicking the folder that I want to share, going to Sharing, and then choosing Share with Homegroup Read/Write but that didn't help.

How can I access my files?

Thanks

:)

JonasBK, Apr 3, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 4, 2020
  3. taward Win User
    One computer cannot access other network computers.

So I've tried every troubleshooting step I know:
    • Double checked that Net Bios was enabled
    • Ran a bunch of network commands:
      • flushed DNS
      • registered dns
      • pinged and located the named computers successfully
    • Reset my router to factory settings

Nothing works when I try to access via explorer. I'm still baffled by the fact that every other computer can access each other AND access this computer. It's just the outgoing connection from this machine that doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

taward, Apr 4, 2020
  4. DannibusX Win User

Accessing a Hard Drive...

...from a dead laptop.

My girlfriend's laptop recently s**t the bed, and she has a lot of photos she would like to retrieve from it. I used a USB to IDE cable to try, but it's a no go. Her drive has Windows XP Home on it, and my system has Win7 x64. The computer recognizes the drive, but it wants me to initialize it, which I think may format it.

I don't know if it's formatted FAT32 or NTFS. Are there any suggestions on accessing the drive to pull all this data off of it?

DannibusX, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 can't access files on Win7 computer - Similar Threads - can't access files

2. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  3. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  4. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't access computer shared file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access computer shared file: I have a computer network LAN and I want to access the shared file from my co-worker's PC, but an error occur and this happens: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-computer-shared-file/a479aa8a-d3fc-4620-a2be-d178f6ec93c8
  6. Can't access computer shared file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access computer shared file: I have a computer network LAN and I want to access the shared file from my co-worker's PC, but an error occur and this happens: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-computer-shared-file/a479aa8a-d3fc-4620-a2be-d178f6ec93c8
  7. Can't access files on other network computers

Can't access files on other network computers: I have four computers all attached to my home network. Until recently, I had been able to access documents across all my computers while attched to the home network. That has all disappeared. I can't even find the computers when I select Network in Windows Explorer. The...
  8. File explorer Windows 10 crashing. Can't access files.

File explorer Windows 10 crashing. Can't access files.: File explorer in Windows 10 keeps crashing when a folder is clicked or right-clicked. Started April 6, after a restart due to a laptop hang. The restart was weird, it took 10-15mins before the log-in screen appeared...then I started noticing File Explorer acting up. No...
  9. Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers

Updated Win7 to Win10 and Now Can't Access Networked Computers: I just updated my Windows 7 Pro laptop to Windows 10 Pro (1903) and now I can no longer see other computers on my home network. The others have both been Win10 machines for some time (recently updated to 1903) and I was able to see them in my Win7 network (via HomeGroup...
  10. Can't share printer on my 10 with a win7 computer on the same network.

Can't share printer on my 10 with a win7 computer on the same network.: I HATE modern networking with every fiber of my being. Once upon a time, networking was simple. To support huge corporate networks Microsoft has made it into a nightmare for home users. Since I've upgraded from 8.1 to 10 my wife's win7 computer can no longer use the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 cant access files user account