Windows 10: Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname

Discus and support Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Seagate NAS drive. it used working good. Couple weeks ago , one of Windows 10 PC can't access it anymore. I typed \\seagate in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rootp, Jul 27, 2020.

1. rootp Win User

Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname

Hello,

I have a Seagate NAS drive. it used working good. Couple weeks ago , one of Windows 10 PC can't access it anymore.

I typed \\seagate in explorer, and returns can't find computer. if I use ip installed hostname, no issue. My another windows 10 PC and Apple TV don't have this issue.

I ping the NAS,

ping seagate

Pinging seagate.local [192.168.1.20] with 32 bytes of data

Reply from 192.168.1.20 : =32 time<1ms TTL=64

Then I type seagate.local in explorer, I can access NAS.

How can I change it back to use seagate instead of seagate.local?

Thank you

:)

rootp, Jul 27, 2020
  2. scorcho Win User

Unable to access NAS from Windows 10 PC

Hi,

I have a Synology DS218J on SMB. I have been able to access it via Windows Explorer with \\hostname just fine, but since a few days ago it no longer works. I get the following error message when I try to access
    a mapped drive within the NAS

Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname f2ec4376-2008-448f-9d35-c9d49a656b03?upload=true.png

I get the following error message when I try to access the NAS hostname/IP address directly.

Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname 8cf4a70d-a359-4d9e-9e41-26c78c006a74?upload=true.png

I can see the NAS hostname (in red below) when I view my network in Explorer

Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname d6db4706-4e53-4c6c-8e65-fdbf78681280?upload=true.png

The Synology web portal works fine. I'm able to access it on my web browser. I'm also able to ping it just fine. I'm also able to access it on my Android device using the DS file app. However, I can't access
    it via Windows Explorer either via \\hostname or \\ipaddress.

I tried net use * /delete and then manually add the NAS root or the shared folders. Here are the results:

"net use X: \\hostname or IP address" - The network path was not found.

"net use X: \\hostname or IP address\SharedFolder" - System error 1790 has occurred. The network logon failed.

If I try the above net use command again, I'll get "System error 59 has occurred. An unexpected network error occurred."

I also tried the following:

"pushd \\hostname or IP address\SharedFolder" - I get either "The network path was not found", "The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated." or "A device attached
    to the system is not functioning."

I've tried rebooting both my PC and the NAS, disabling(then re-enabling) SMBv1, disabling IPv6, turning on network discovery and file and printer sharing (though this should only affect my sharing of my PC
    right?), following the guide at Synology Community

I noticed in my Synology DSM settings that the workgroup is set as WORKGROUP. I also vaguely remember that Windows 10 stopped supporting HOMEGROUP/WORKGROUP in an earlier release. Could that be why? Why would
    it only stop working a few days ago though?

scorcho, Jul 27, 2020
  3. Blaq Win User
    Can't see NAS (SMBv1), even via IP address (tried common solutions)

I have a DLINK DNS-325 NAS which worked fine until this week.

• The issue started after I performed an in-place upgrade. (To fix an unrelated Windows Store problem.)
    • I restored the NAS to factory settings and manually rebuilt its settings.
    • I can access the NAS's Web-based UI without a problem and it reports no errors. I can also ping it without any error.
    I have tried several solutions, some from "My nas devices are not showing in Windows File Explorer - Network, Windows 10 version 1703, build 15063.332" for example.

• Network reset
    • Enabled SMBv1
    • Forced my PC to be the Master Browser
    • Force-enabled "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
    To take Windows networking out of the equation, I'm initially trying to access the NAS by its static IP, 192.168.*. In the command window:

• I can ping it without problem
    • `net view \\192.168.*` gives an error 53.
    What should my next steps be? Thanks.

4. Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname

Missing NAS Disk access

I am running Windows 10, latest update. Before the latest update, under "network" the listing of all my NAS disks were there. Now the only listing is just for my PC. When I try to map a drive, the only results for 'browse' is the aforementioned computer
    name. If I enter the ip address, I can get the drive letter assigned but the name is the IP address rather than the name of the device and it shows up as an attached drive but still does not show up under 'Network'. The router shows all the NAS disks as attached
    devices but

Windows does not see them. After 6 hours talking with Level 2 support, the answer they gave me is that they do not solve network problems and I need to contact the router (Netgear) manufacturer. It seems to me that it is a Windows problem since the only change
    was the update. I have re-installed the OS but not changed the symptoms.

Jeff_Hobson, Jul 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname

1. Windows 10 can't access NAS disk via hostname - Similar Threads - can't access NAS

2. Can't Access my NAS drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Access my NAS drive: I cant connect to my NAS. I had mapped drives that worked fine earlier. now I only get an error message. Long message essentialy to many server connections. What has happend Please advice Regards Anders...
  3. How to access my dead NAS disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to access my dead NAS disk: I have a nas that died but I need access the files from it. Windows doesn't naturally see it when I plug the disk in as it's a Linux file system. Is there an easy way to get access to this? I know I can boot to Ubuntu. I tried reclaim me and it does see my files but I can't...
  4. NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address

NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address: In one network I manage I sometimes get this strange error. The NAS is perfectly accessible via its name \\LAGRING but using its IP address \\172.24.57.3 gives an error the error message suggests it is unavailable or that you don't have access rights. I have not found a...
  5. Can't access NAS drives in Windows 10 Pro

Can't access NAS drives in Windows 10 Pro: This is a strange fault as it happened all of a sudden, I shut down the PC one night when everything was fine, then the following day after bootup I couldn't access the NAS drives although they do show in Windows File Explorer, I just get the error 0x80070035 The network path...
  6. Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS

Optimizing USB disk shared via NAS: I've got a 1.5 TB Samsung Story Station Plus Connected to a Netgear Readynas Ultra 4 using USB 2 (606 GB used, some 129K files in 9600 folders). It is powered by external PS. The drive is shared using Netgear's software. After adding quite a lot of new files to the drive...
  7. Can't access NAS without internet

Can't access NAS without internet: My access to my Synology NAS is not working anymore since I have moved. At my new place, I don't have internet (yet) and it looks like that is tripping off Windows (maybe it increased security settings???). I have my folders mapped, I used to be able to access my NAS folders...
  8. Can't access NAS by name

Can't access NAS by name: Yesterday I did a clean (re)install of Windows 10. All seemed ok, but today I cannot access a NAS disk by name. I can access it by IP address, and nslookup correctly resolve both name and addresses. But if I try to access \\MyBookLive (I know, - a cleverly original name.) - I...
  9. Windows Explorer Can't Access NAS Storage

Windows Explorer Can't Access NAS Storage: I have a WD EX2Ultra NAS on my home network. Everything worked perfectly until a recent Windows 10 update to Version 1703 Build 15063.540 on my laptop. Now my Windows 10 laptop cannot access the HDs in the NAS. But, my wife's Windows 7 desktop still has access to the NAS HDs....
  10. Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer

Can't Access NAS from Windows Explorer: I have 2 NAS drives connected to my network, one is a Buffalo NAS and the other is a LaCie NAS. When I try to access the NAS on my Windows 10 Pro PCs, I get a message stating Error code 0x80070035 The network path was not found. I can access the management console for...