Windows 10: Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still...

Discus and support Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, so we recently upgraded the hardware of our 6-year-old PC. We got a new mobo, processor, and RAM. We originally got the PC with Win7... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Lenian, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Lenian Win User

Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still...

Hi all, so we recently upgraded the hardware of our 6-year-old PC. We got a new mobo, processor, and RAM.

We originally got the PC with Win7 installed, and eventually upgraded it to Win10 for free online sometime ago.

Now the Activation page gives error 0xC004C003 and says that Windows is Not Activated.

I called up the hotline and gave the installation long string of numbers, but the representative asked for the product key and we can't find that anymore unfortunately, since it's been already 6 years and the case was already swapped out. she said she can't help me anymore great.

I called again and talked to a different person, we have a spare Win 8.1 box here unopened. I asked if this license can be converted to Win10 since we upgraded our Win7 before anyway. She said that it can not be done, and we need to buy the Win10 license.

Any tips what to do here?? Our new upgraded PC is now basically marked as an illegitimate windows and we're getting this ACTIVATE WINDOWS thing on the lower right corner of the screen.

Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still... 23118bc8-69fe-458b-956c-59542f925d81?upload=true.png

:)

Lenian, Jul 20, 2020
  2. Graf Dyon Win User

Can't activate windows 10 after changing motherboard

Hello,

I can't activate my windows 10 license after changing my motherboard.

The license I have is a Windows 7 Pro license, that got changed into a Windows 10 license, when the upgrade was free.

Steps I took previous to the motherboard change:

- I linked my Microsoft account with my device, so that my license is registered under my account (it showed up with my mail in the accounts section)

Now, with the new motherboard built in, I can't activate Windows 10 anymore.

I tried the support steps listed by the Microsoft helper (Activation -> Click Troubleshoot), but that did not work.

In the Activitation settings I get the error code: 0xC004F213

Does anybody know a solution for this, as I haven't found one so far.

Graf Dyon, Jul 20, 2020
  3. harshsyd Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi, so recently I built a PC in 2014 and now the motherboard is starting to go really fishy and I can feel it is slowly going to die.

I've got Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC, with a Gigabyte Motherboard. It was upgraded from Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it is a RETAIL version if I check via "cmd: slmgr -dli".

Now in a few days there's two things I might do; Replace my faulty motherboard to a new one (same model) OR since it is a second fail, change the motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS.

Now I've got a few questions;

• If I replaced my motherboard to same gigabyte model (except the serial/ID will change for sure), Windows will mostly fail to activate right? If I change/replace to another same model motherboard, can I reactivate Windows? (I tried this on my first fail
      last year, and installing win8 and re-upgrading allowed me to activate).
    • If I changed motherboard from Gigabyte to ASUS, will I still be able to reactivate Windows?
    I've got my license linked to my Microsoft Account. I've online that after a hardware fail/change I can still activate Windows after all.

Also I got some questions on how this account links work;

• So if I linked my License to my MS Account, I should be able to activate on a motherboard replacement right? (Gigabyte model) - by clicking "I changed hardware recently".
    • How about if I change Motherboard to an ASUS one, will I still be able to activate via using MS Account Link?

Also one my first fail; I cannot remember for sure but I think I just input my Windows 8 key into Windows 10 on my first-time replaced Gigabyte mobo and activation was fine.

ALSO: As my license is Retail; And a Retail license should allow transfer rights, wouldn't I be able to transfer my license anyway from my current motherboard to my new replaced/new company mobo? If so, how would I perform this step? Would
    I need to deactivate on this faulty mobo first or what so?

Thanks! I'm a bit confused!

harshsyd, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still...

Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still...

1. Windows 10 can't activate license after changing motherboard and processor / Can we still... - Similar Threads - can't activate license

2. Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard: I recently changed my motherboard, twice. First time, reactivation of windows 10 worked, second time, it didn't.Activation menu shows code code 0x803FABBA. This code can't be found from microsoft help website.I tried to use troubleshoot -> I changed hardware on this device...
  3. Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard: I recently changed my motherboard, twice. First time, reactivation of windows 10 worked, second time, it didn't.Activation menu shows code code 0x803FABBA. This code can't be found from microsoft help website.I tried to use troubleshoot -> I changed hardware on this device...
  4. Windows 10 can't activate after change of motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows activation after changing my motherboard and processor

Windows activation after changing my motherboard and processor: After changing my motherboard my windows is requiring an activation, it wasn't the free version I bought it previously with no issues, i got the code, when I enter it I get an error still, my license is Volume. trouble shooting is not helping, any idea what should be...
  6. Can't reactivate windows after motherboard and processor change.

Can't reactivate windows after motherboard and processor change.: Recently purchased a new motherboard and cpu for my system. After change motherboard and booting windows I as expected get error code: 0xC004F211 Windows detected hardware change. When trying to troubleshoot and selecting "I recently changed hardware on this device" I'm...
  7. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change.

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change.: I got Windows 10 Pro 64-bit during the free upgrade and at that time I had a different motherboard, not too long after that I upgraded to an ASUS Z-87 motherboard and I still happened to have the key for activation. During my time having that board I did a few reinstalls...
  8. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change: I built out a new computer, but used the SSD with Windows 10 on it from my previous machine. It says that I can't activate because I don't have a valid license, but I can run the troubleshooter and it asks me what device I want to activate Windows on. The machine I'm using...
  9. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change...

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change...: Hi, beyond frustrated at this point. I bought Windows 7 Ultimate Edition digitally years ago. The link I had to access my product key at any time no longer exists. When Windows 10 launched I did the free upgrade at the time to Windows 10 Pro. I have had this problem in the...
  10. Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Can't activate Windows 10 after motherboard change: As title says Replaced my motherboard and now I can't activate my copy I'm signed into my Microsoft account automatically on my copy of Windows 10 Home Edition Gone through troubleshoot Clicked "I recently changed hardware on this device" My computer shows up...