Windows 10: Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access

Discus and support Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, a couple days ago my Dell Inspiron 5660 laptop (about 3.5 years old) bluescreened and was unable to boot again. I have tried the recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by summersongs, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access

Hello, a couple days ago my Dell Inspiron 5660 laptop (about 3.5 years old) bluescreened and was unable to boot again. I have tried the recovery environment's troubleshooting options to no avail, and upon attempting to reinstall Windows with a recovery USB drive, I'm unable to run bootrec /fixbcd even after trying the fix which renames the volume to V: and creates a new \efi\microsoft\boot\ drive - followed every step to the letter, and still CMD returns "Access denied".

This laptop has no disk drive, so my recovery data is stored on a freshly formatted 8GB flash drive. I can boot from the flash drive successfully, but it seems to have no effect on the OS's inability to boot. Upon attempting to boot from shutdown, the laptop fails to start and loads the Recovery screen with error code 0xc0000185.

Anything that might fix this is greatly appreciated, I'm a network admin for an online community and not being able to use my machine is a serious problem for me. Thanks in advance!

:)

summersongs, Nov 21, 2018

2. Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixboot access denied

Windows 10 will not boot (stuck on the rotating circles), after uninstalling Ubuntu by deleting the partition.

I attempted to use bootrec to fix it, however bootrec /fixboot gives me access denied.

bootrec /findos lists 0 found windows installations.

On a laptop (no cd drive, no usb stick >= 8gb).

Windows version 10.0.16299.15

255d3af3-fe36-4c6b-9538-72e7ec9c32ff, Nov 21, 2018
  3. macekor Win User
    Windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access denied

Hello,

I have a problem, i uninstalled ubuntu with GRUB recently and wanted to fix windows bootloader. And when i type bootrec /fixmbr everything's fine, but when i type bootrec /fixboot it shows access denied. I've read answear to this question

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-bootrec-fixboot-access-is-denied/747c4180-7ff3-4bc2-b6cc-81e572d546df
    , but when i list volumes in diskpart i don't see any fat32 partition so i don't know which partition is
    efi. I see following partitions. Does somebody know a solution?
    Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access [​IMG]

macekor, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Touchbase Win User

Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access

Bootrec /fixboot access denied. Various solutions not working

As alpha45 said the repair environment in the latest version of Windows 10 is not working correctly. I had the dreaded Boot Error 0xc000000e on my rig after using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), to remove my graphics driver.
    I couldn't work out why that would have happened but I thought this will be an easy fix. Just run some bootrec commands from the command prompt and I'll be back in business. But no it wasn't to be. Firstly I tried a USB with Win 10 V1803 which has all versions on it;

Incidently I'm running Win 10 Pro V1803. I then ran the following commands;

bootrec /fixmbr operation completed successfully
    bootrec /fixboot access denied
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    a Windows installation found (great), add installation to boot list - yes - no device found. Great.

I remembered vaguely someone online mentioning that the latest Win 10 build had a problem with the repair environment and in looking online I found this post and the mention of that exact problem by alpha45 again prompted me to to try an earlier version to see what would happen. So I attempted the above using a DVD I had with Win 10 V1709, same result. So I then went hunting and found a copy of Windows 10 Pro V1603 I had on DVD and repeated the steps above. All steps were reported as successful. I shutdown the pc, restarted and Windows booted successfully. I was very relieved I can tell you. So thanks alpha45 and I think this post will help many others as well.

Touchbase, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access

1. Windows 10 can't boot, bootrec /fixbcd denies access - Similar Threads - can't boot bootrec

2. Access denied bootrec /fixboot why?!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied bootrec /fixboot why?!: Windows 11 after upgrading from windows 10 at startup just shows black screen help fix. Windows 10 no black screen problem but occasionally after 10-15min use the screen turns black and unable to see anything...
  3. Bootrec Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootrec Access Denied: Hello I need urgent helpI have been stuck in auto recovery loop for a while nowI took the computer to microcenter to be fixed and they could not figure it outTried it myself still does not workIssue:Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtError Code 0x000014cCorrupted OS/FilesAuto Recovery...
  4. Bootrec Access Denied

Bootrec Access Denied: Hello I need urgent helpI have been stuck in auto recovery loop for a while nowI took the computer to microcenter to be fixed and they could not figure it outTried it myself still does not workIssue:Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtError Code 0x000014cCorrupted OS/FilesAuto Recovery...
  5. Bootrec Access Denied

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Bootrec /fixboot access denied?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootrec /fixboot access denied?: My boot record got corrupted, I am unable to start Win10. I did all of the auto recovery options none had work. I am at the CMD and tried bootrec /fixboot but get access denied. I reformated boot partition to FAT32, copied boot files using bcdboot from \windows directory...
  7. Windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access is denied

Windows 10 bootrec /fixboot access is denied: Hello. I have followed all the instruction and type in cmd starting from: Diskpart -> list disk and sel disk 0. Now i am stuck on "List Volume" on the cmd. I have 4 volumes on my screen : Vol 0 as C- OS NTFS partition, Vol 1 as E- Recovery partition, Vol 2 as "blank (aka...
  8. Windows 10 will not boot - bootrec /fixboot access is denied - following update to latest...

Windows 10 will not boot - bootrec /fixboot access is denied - following update to latest...: Upon updating my XPS-13 (8gb ram 256gb SSD - about half full) to the latest (jun 9) insider build, during one of the reboots, the computer hung with a "no bootable device found" message. From the command prompt, I can see the C: disk and all appears to be in order. DISKPART...
  9. Access denied on bootrec /fixboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Access denied on bootrec /fixboot: Hello, I installed Windows 10 version 1809 recently. It crashed after a system restore and did not boot anymore. So I used the installation disk and tried out the inbuilt repair functions, which did not work. I also tried line commands, which worked expect bootrec /fixboot....
  10. bootrec /fixboot access is denied

bootrec /fixboot access is denied: My Windows upgrade is failed and force the PC to power off while it is still writing to the disk, and appeared the blue screen error "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE". and I run the command "bootrec /fixboot", however, I received the "bootrec /fixboot access is denied" error...