Windows 10: Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu

Discus and support Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; With 512 apps, probably 50 or 60 would want to load on startup so they can be "ready" when needed *Rolleyes. Imagine the size of the registry with 512... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Antilope Win User

Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu

With 512 apps, probably 50 or 60 would want to load on startup so they can be "ready" when needed *Rolleyes. Imagine the size of the registry with 512 apps loaded. Wonder what the boot times would be with 512 apps?

Antilope, Aug 7, 2015
  2. eqsanctum Win User

If you install lets say, 60 programs. Each adds links to their start menu entries lets say 3 each. There in your start menu are now 180 apps. I can tell you, on my fresh install of windows 10, for work, gaming, and "apps" from the window store, I'm at 100+ installed. If I don't customize my start menu shortcuts at all, I'm already at 300, "apps" not counting the windows stuff by default on the windows 10 start menu. So any shortcuts, now called apps, count. So ... let's say office 365 ( 2013 ) gets installed, there's 35 shortcuts right there........for one set of programs, from their respective shortcuts..... all counted as "apps" (exaggeration but you get the idea)

This would be false. Every steam game I installed in my 190 game library put a shortcut or "app" on the app menu, as well as various misc shortcuts to websites etc via those specific folders, by default, from windows. This also doesn't count the ones that windows classified as "games" and put automagically in a game folder "for me" for more "convenience".

I'm new here, sure, but the question shouldn't be "why not do this instead...." but should be "why should they have to do that instead...". Especially considering the boasting Microsoft has done stating it's the most user custom windows yet.

Most of the "apps" people are complaining about not showing up are shortcuts. Not actual apps. I upgraded and lost my customized start menu completely. I did a fresh install and have to rely completely on alphabetized "app" shortcuts. Well... why? I want the cascading menu how "I" want it. Not how Microsoft "thinks" I want it.

I have posted in the insider forums on multiple occasions suggesting openly about making the start/metro menus more custom-izable and user friendly then they are.

The 512 limit is a bug and oversight. It should be fixed. With SSD's reaching into the TB now, and traditional drives going up to 5TB for the average user, there is no reason to have a limitation at all for adding anything to anywhere for any reason within an OS.

eqsanctum, Aug 9, 2015
  3. CountMike New Member
    Don't forget that there's desktop still, also taskbar and taskabar menus where shortcuts could be placed. Start menu is not only place.

CountMike, Aug 9, 2015
  4. eqsanctum Win User

Oh yeah those. Limited taskbar space, not everyone has multiple monitors and bars, thank god for multiple desktops for running programs. However, people like myself, keep their workspace on the desktop, not the actually launching of something. I have a full desktop, I need my start menu. Before you ask, yes my taskbar is full.

Point is, regardless of "other" solutions, this shouldn't be an issue needing a solution. So far everyone has said the same thing, do this instead. That shouldn't even be a solution. That's a work around and doesn't fix the issue, which is people like myself want that menu how we want it.

eqsanctum, Aug 9, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    Most people don't run into that problem, I divide start places between multiple places so even with large number of installed programs I wouldn't know abut that problem if not for that article.

CountMike, Aug 9, 2015
  6. Fafhrd Win User
    I like nothing on my desktop but everything available from my desktop toolbar from a single click to get to any item on the menu, then another to access it:

Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu [​IMG]

Fafhrd, Aug 9, 2015
  7. eqsanctum Win User
    I keep reading most people don't run into that problem, yet I'm seeing 100,000's of non-repeat posts across the internet....

That's actually what my taskbar looks like. 3 rows, all full, shortened names, about 50-100 shortcuts per, and separate shortcuts via startmenu. Desktop is full of work content.

My wife doesn't game or anything like I do, and shes got a full start menu, desktop, taskbar, shes the "normal" user and it's affecting her as well. I think folks need to re-think how they approach looking at this problem. It's not about what you can do to avoid 512, it's about what you can do with your operating system.

eqsanctum, Aug 9, 2015
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

*Ditto

9. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .Darn another let down. . .here I thought all computer users had at least three monitors. . .just hate learning something new sometimes. . .*Smile

10. Would this also explain why I can't pin some apps to the start menu as well. By my count, I have 620. Well over the 512 limit. Explains why some folders do not show up. EA's Origin won't pin to the start menu so I wonder if this also had something to do with it.

GamerwGlasses, Aug 12, 2015
  11. many people miss the point.
    there does NOT HAVE to be 512 apps installed.
    ONE APP may contain 4 or 5 listings

Example
    Paragon Disk manager
    Paragon Recovery Build
    Paragon UNINSTALL

THAT is just from one program
    THAT is why many people run into this issue

It DOES NEED a fix.
    thanks

astormyday, Aug 27, 2015
  12. unkellsam Win User
    Correct, anything that is not searchable in the start menu cannot be pinned. The start menu treats it as if it doesn't exist.

unkellsam, Aug 27, 2015
  13. JimL Win User

Add in the apps that do not have the product name in the listing. Like "Import and Export Data (32 bit)" from SQL Server 2008. Sprinkle these listings without a product reference through the Start Menu alphabet. Now which program was this entry from? *sarc

14. altae Win User
    Hm, this bug has been known almost from day one after the release of Windows 10. And since it's still not fixed I'm seriously wondering what MS has been doing for the past month. More and more it looks like all those promises MS made prior to the release of Windows 10 where more or less empty words.

altae, Aug 28, 2015
  15. dporter5 Win User
    What command please?

dporter5, Aug 28, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Can't Display More than 512 Apps in the Start Menu - Similar Threads - Can't Display More

2. More Start Menu Features

in Windows 10 Gaming
    More Start Menu Features: Will you be adding and or bringing back any start menu features? As it is now it favors searching through and scrolling through lists. As far as visually navigating, the UI experience is very lacking. Half of the real estate is taken up by recommended apps leaving precious...
  3. More Start Menu Features

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    More Start Menu Features: Will you be adding and or bringing back any start menu features? As it is now it favors searching through and scrolling through lists. As far as visually navigating, the UI experience is very lacking. Half of the real estate is taken up by recommended apps leaving precious...
  4. Can't Click on Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't Click on Start Menu Apps: When I open the start menu and try to search for something/click on something it doesn't do anything. After restarting, sometimes it doesn't even let me click on the windows button at all (I can still open it with the windows key.) I've seen a lot of threads on this but...
  5. More Groups on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    More Groups on Start Menu: I know how to add and remove things from the Start menu but is it possible to add more Groups? I can only see 4, which can be renamed, but I'd like a few more in order to organise my icons. 23789
  6. Start Menu not displaying All apps

Start Menu not displaying All apps: Performed an upgrade from Windows 8.1. When I select "All apps" from the Start Menu, I notice that not all the apps are displayed. May have found a bug in Windows 10 release. Anyone else having this issue? 10241
  7. Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Can't pin apps to start-menu.: Is this really a limitation for win10? Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles, but it's impossible to pin them to the left area? *Huh It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there, but not apps, or any personal folders. You're stuck with some automated...
  8. Windows 10 uses more data than displayed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 uses more data than displayed: So far I have only connected my laptop to my phone's hotspot. My phone can monitor the amount of data my laptop is using whenever it is using it's laptop. What concerns me is that, the data used by the laptop displayed on my phone is 800 MB, but Data App Usage is claiming to...
  9. start menu stuck displaying all apps

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu stuck displaying all apps: so...as the title suggests, my stepfather's start menu is stuck on all apps....how do I unfrak this? [img] 60633
  10. Can't access more than 100 screensavers in settings menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access more than 100 screensavers in settings menu?: I have lots of small screensavers installed - many are just variations and sets of a similar theme, but show individually in the screensavers settings drop-down box. It seems that I cannot access anything beyond the first 100 - for me that means anything after midway through...