Windows 10: Windows 10 can't locate drivers for USB drives as well as new Internal drives

Discus and support Windows 10 can't locate drivers for USB drives as well as new Internal drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 4 Western Digital Elements portable drives. It see's one of those drives. When I plug in one of the other's, the drive appears in device manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GNewcomb1, Jan 10, 2020.

1. GNewcomb1 Win User

Windows 10 can't locate drivers for USB drives as well as new Internal drives

I have 4 Western Digital Elements portable drives. It see's one of those drives. When I plug in one of the other's, the drive appears in device manager with a "?" . When I look in "Bluetooth and other devices" it shows" Elements 107C" driver is unavailable.

I purchased a new WD 6TB internal drive to replace an existing WD internal 500gb drive. It's a WD60EZAZ WD BLUE. When I disconnect the 500GB and install this one in it's place, windows see it by the correct name but can't locate a driver for it.

I pull all the drives minus the 6TB drive, boot a windows 10 Install CD and can partition the drive. Re-install the other drives and boot from windows 10 and same issue. Both drives have tested good. It seams like something got corrupted in windows 10 but can't figure it out. I even tried de-installing Acronis True Image, rebooting and same. I booted windows into safe mode with networking and same issue.

To prove the 107C drive is good, connected to a laptop works fine plus when I boot using the true image boot CD, the drive can be accessed.

:)

GNewcomb1, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Can´t change the default storage drive.

In Windows 10, you can now select where your new Windows apps from the Store will install and save data to by default instead of on the Windows drive.

You can select to install new Windows apps to any internal or external drive, including SD cards, USB drives, and USB flash drives. You cannot use mapped network drives, and you can only use one location at a time to save apps to. The drives will not need to
    be formatted to be able to use them to install and store Windows apps.

Windows 10 will only install new apps to the currently selected location.
    Existing apps
    do not get moved to the new location. If you wanted your existing apps installed to the new location as well, then you could uninstall the apps you want, and install them again to have them installed to the new location. You can lose
    the existing data for the app by doing this though.

Follow the steps to change the location of the apps.

• Open the Settings app, and click/tap on the System icon.
    • Click/tap on Storage on the left side. On the right side under
      Save locations, select the drive you want New apps will save to.
    • When finished, you can close Settings.

Note: The default location is
    This PC for the Windows C: drive.

Make sure you're using version 1511 and that you have another hard drive location installed, then the menu will light up like this:

Windows 10 can't locate drivers for USB drives as well as new Internal drives a46cb8f7-66dc-4a8d-8e57-5d0c7f0659d5.png

HonorioSantos, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Converting an internal hard drive to an external backup

IDE can do 133MB/s

if he can find USB 3.0, go for it. i suggest a new drive + enclosure in one, just because it will be faster and more reliable. the 100GB drive can always be installed as an INTERNAL backup drive in the new machine anyway.

Mussels, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 can't locate drivers for USB drives as well as new Internal drives - Similar Threads - can't locate drivers

2. How to move windows 11 from the original internal drive to a new internal drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to move windows 11 from the original internal drive to a new internal drive: I have a quick question. How do I move where Windows 11 is and boots from, from the original drive to a new drive? I have no idea what to try. I tried to use some programs to do it like easeus but I did not realize you needed to pay to move Windows 11. Anyone able to help?...
  3. How to move windows 11 from the original internal drive to a new internal drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to move windows 11 from the original internal drive to a new internal drive: I have a quick question. How do I move where Windows 11 is and boots from, from the original drive to a new drive? I have no idea what to try. I tried to use some programs to do it like easeus but I did not realize you needed to pay to move Windows 11. Anyone able to help?...
  4. Internal drive becomes RAW format and new USB drives not being recognised

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internal drive becomes RAW format and new USB drives not being recognised: Hi, Hope someone can help please. Just over a week ago, I was doing another drive backup with EaseUS backup software. This is simply a backup of my internal E drive data to a large USB drive. I had not done a backup for sometime, and wanted to do one now as Windows updates...
  5. Internal drive becomes RAW format and new USB drives not being recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internal drive becomes RAW format and new USB drives not being recognised: Hi, Hope someone can help please. Just over a week ago, I was doing another drive backup with EaseUS backup software. This is simply a backup of my internal E drive data to a large USB drive. I had not done a backup for sometime, and wanted to do one now as Windows updates...
  6. Internal drive becomes RAW format and new USB drives not being recognised

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Can't locate DVD drive after clean installation of windows 10 on a new hard drive

Can't locate DVD drive after clean installation of windows 10 on a new hard drive: My hard drive was failing so I bought a new drive and installed a valid copy of windows 10 on the new drive. I have two DVD drives, but the device manager can only find one and the one it finds is always on the same SATA cable i.e. which ever one I attach. I know that both...
  8. Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disappearing Hard drives, both external (USB) as well as internal (SATA): Last three or four w10 64 bit updates I have occasionally seen internal disk drive 1 (G:) disappearing from file explorer, this has been significantly reduced with the latest (1903) but still occurs under certain circumstances which is critical as it causes backups to fail....
  9. USB Backup drive location

USB Backup drive location: Windows 10 File manager confuses me. My Seagate 5TB external drive is in 2 places on the left column. First it is on the same outline level as This PC, One Drive, and Quick Access and just above Network. Expand This PC and it is also there as drive (E). Curious minds want to...
  10. New build, can't install windows (USB drive)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New build, can't install windows (USB drive): Hi, Running into issues when trying to install Windows on my new build. Have tried multiple times and keep running into the same issue. Been trying to find a solution for hours but hitting dead ends. I boot with the USB drive inserted and the Windows logo shows up,...