Windows 10: windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

Discus and support windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Microsoft, I'm trying to shrink some GB from my hard disk C: to add it to D: because D: is on low free space and when I try to shrink C: it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Popking111555, Dec 9, 2018.

1. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

Hi there Microsoft,

I'm trying to shrink some GB from my hard disk C: to add it to D: because D: is on low free space and when I try to shrink C: it doesn't let me shrink as much as the free space that C: has, what I mean is that C: has like 150+ GB and it lets me to shrink like nearly 34GB something like that but I need to shrink more then that but it doesn't let me, why? is there something wrong with my system? or what? I really need to expand the D: storage size, please help me with this.

waiting for a reply...

:)

Popking111555, Dec 9, 2018

2. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hello Lex,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

a. What happens when you try shrinking
    C: drive below 500 GB, do you get any error message/error code?

To create a partition or volume (the two terms are often used interchangeably) on a hard disk, you must be logged in as an administrator, and there must be either unallocated disk space or free space within an extended partition on the hard disk.

The disk space of minimum 4GB and maximum of 8GB should be dedicated to Windows 10 installation files & folders on the drive in which the operating system is installed.

I suggest you to check the possibility of shrinking the drive by 420GB in the Disk management by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management from the context menu.
    • Right click on the C: drive from the window and select
      Shrink Volume from the context menu.
    • Enter 504000 in the Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB box and click on
      Shrink.
    • Right click on the Unallocated drive which was recently created and select
      New simple volume.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and assign the drive letter from the window.
    • After the drive letter is assigned and the procedure is complete, right click on the newly created drive and select
      Open from the context menu.
    • Check if the partition is displayed in the File Explorer.

Write to us with the answer to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same
    post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 9, 2018
  3. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hi,

I bought a new laptop with 2TB HDD and able to shrink volume till 560GB and now I cannot shrink below.

I want to keep the OS drive of 150 GB and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.

Pls do help!!!

Regards,

Krishna

It does not show any error buts just the volume to be shrink is 0

KrishnaDarbha, Dec 9, 2018
  4. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hi,

I bought a new laptop with 2TB HDD and able to shrink volume till 560GB and now I cannot shrink below.

I want to keep the OS drive of 150 GB and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.

Pls do help!!!

Regards,

Krishna

KrishnaDarbha, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

1. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want - Similar Threads - can't shrink hard

2. I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't shrink the disk even though i ahve disk space in my storage: i was trying to install ubuntu as dual boot in my system.When i tried to search for the free space it was not available. so i decided to partition my diskOS in the windows itself nut when i was trying to shrink the shrinkable memory was not same as the free space in the disk....
  3. i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...: i was trying to shrink my C: drive in order to dual boot but i cannot shrink it to the size i need.i was trying to get about 20 gigs free for my second os but i can't....
  4. i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i can't shrink my windows C: volume although i have 30 gigs free. i dont know much about...: i was trying to shrink my C: drive in order to dual boot but i cannot shrink it to the size i need.i was trying to get about 20 gigs free for my second os but i can't....
  5. Shrinking C: Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shrinking C: Drive: I want to shrink my C: drive but it seems that I can't shrink it beyond 17440mb. Why is that? I tried some solution. I disabled auto managing of page file for all drives. I even ran a SFC scan. But it is not solved. The picture is attached below: [ATTACH]...
  6. disk shrinking problems?

disk shrinking problems?: im trying to shrink my disk volume and it says this I cant change it to 10000 just 1994? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-shrinking-problems/eadee259-e14a-4116-a6f6-0eac32808797
  7. Shrink hard disk windows 10 issue

Shrink hard disk windows 10 issue: Hi I have 370 GB free space but I am allowed to shrink only 61 GB I contacted the support but no results. I don't want to format my hard disk to have an extra partition. no unallocated partition computer asusvivobook Windows is updated I already have a case ID but...
  8. Shrinking C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Shrinking C: drive: Hi I am trying to shrink my C: drive so i can make a partition out of it but i can't seem to do it. When i shrink the drive it just loads when i try to check what's happening in the drive through defragment its stuck at 43% shrunk. Am i doing something wrong ?...
  9. Can't shrink system disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink system disk: Hello, fellows! Can someone provide advice - why I can't shrink a disk that's almost 3/4 free? Ever before it was shrinkable with no problem. As u can see on the screensot, I can shrink disk 7GB only, while ever before I could shrink it any volume I wished. It's...
  10. Hard Disk (C:/) Takes Up Too Much Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Disk (C:/) Takes Up Too Much Space: Hey Guys, So I have a 200 GB Hard Drive on my computer. A couple of days ago I got a notification mentioning there was not ten GB of space left. I was surprised, but I assumed I just had more on it than I thought. However, since then I have re-installed Windows for my own...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant shrink c drive

2. i bought a new laptop with 2tb hdd and able to shrink volume till 560gb and now i cannot shrink below.i want to keep the os drive of 150 gb and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.pls do help!!!

3. why can i only shrink my ssd so much?

4. shrink disk min and max is the same,
  5. windows cant shrink parittion c much,
  6. windows 10 shrank partitition too much,
  7. why windows 10 only lets me shrink partition so much,
  8. cant shrink disk much