Windows 10: windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

Discus and support windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Microsoft, I'm trying to shrink some GB from my hard disk C: to add it to D: because D: is on low free space and when I try to shrink C: it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Popking111555, Dec 9, 2018.

1. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

Hi there Microsoft,

I'm trying to shrink some GB from my hard disk C: to add it to D: because D: is on low free space and when I try to shrink C: it doesn't let me shrink as much as the free space that C: has, what I mean is that C: has like 150+ GB and it lets me to shrink like nearly 34GB something like that but I need to shrink more then that but it doesn't let me, why? is there something wrong with my system? or what? I really need to expand the D: storage size, please help me with this.

waiting for a reply...

:)

Popking111555, Dec 9, 2018

2. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hello Lex,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

a. What happens when you try shrinking
    C: drive below 500 GB, do you get any error message/error code?

To create a partition or volume (the two terms are often used interchangeably) on a hard disk, you must be logged in as an administrator, and there must be either unallocated disk space or free space within an extended partition on the hard disk.

The disk space of minimum 4GB and maximum of 8GB should be dedicated to Windows 10 installation files & folders on the drive in which the operating system is installed.

I suggest you to check the possibility of shrinking the drive by 420GB in the Disk management by following the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management from the context menu.
    • Right click on the C: drive from the window and select
      Shrink Volume from the context menu.
    • Enter 504000 in the Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB box and click on
      Shrink.
    • Right click on the Unallocated drive which was recently created and select
      New simple volume.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions and assign the drive letter from the window.
    • After the drive letter is assigned and the procedure is complete, right click on the newly created drive and select
      Open from the context menu.
    • Check if the partition is displayed in the File Explorer.

Write to us with the answer to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same
    post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 9, 2018
  3. Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hi,

I bought a new laptop with 2TB HDD and able to shrink volume till 560GB and now I cannot shrink below.

I want to keep the OS drive of 150 GB and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.

Pls do help!!!

Regards,

Krishna

It does not show any error buts just the volume to be shrink is 0

KrishnaDarbha, Dec 9, 2018
  4. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

Unable to shrink C: drive less that 480GB in Disk management on Windows 10.

Hi,

I bought a new laptop with 2TB HDD and able to shrink volume till 560GB and now I cannot shrink below.

I want to keep the OS drive of 150 GB and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.

Pls do help!!!

Regards,

Krishna

KrishnaDarbha, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want

1. windows 10 can't shrink hard disk C: as much as I want - Similar Threads - can't shrink hard

2. i can't eject my hard disk?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i can't eject my hard disk?: it keeps telling me that it is still in use even though i've closed all running programs. has happened constantly and every time i need to eject it i use the "diskpart" command. what could be the issue and is it okay if i continue doing this? submitted by...
  3. Can't format external hard disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't format external hard disk: I do have external harddisk from toshiba company. I tried to format it but windows always responds windows was unable to complete format. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-format-external-hard-disk/04f8e492-9b46-431e-905d-812da33a1418
  4. Can't shrink system disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink system disk: Hello, fellows! Can someone provide advice - why I can't shrink a disk that's almost 3/4 free? Ever before it was shrinkable with no problem. As u can see on the screensot, I can shrink disk 7GB only, while ever before I could shrink it any volume I wished. It's...
  5. I can't partition my hard disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't partition my hard disk: Hi everyone, I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9570 and I'm trying to partition my C: drive but I'm facing an issue with storage. Even though I have more than 90GB free, every time I try to partition the disk I'm given only 2GB to work with. I've cleared up temporary files and...
  6. i want to recover my window 10 after i changed my hard disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i want to recover my window 10 after i changed my hard disk: i want to recover my window 10 after i changed my hard disk.now i am using a trial version from windows 10 pro and want to go back to my home edition. because every time i start my laptop window never start until i disconnect the power and turn it on again!...
  7. I need help for shrinking c drive .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I need help for shrinking c drive .: I am not able to shrink my c drive which was allocated 931 GB , i want to resize to 200 GB . I'm not able to do it using disk management . In disk management , the maximum available shrink space is 790 gb but can't figure out why , as i surfed internet i saw several websites...
  8. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...
  9. Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual hard disk can't be mounted ...: Hello everybody, recently I've installed Windows 8,1 Pro version on my laptop and today I'm trying to install Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise. I've have it on CD but when I'm trying to run it there's a message that says : "Virtual hard disk files can't be mounted from...
  10. Hard Disk (C:/) Takes Up Too Much Space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Disk (C:/) Takes Up Too Much Space: Hey Guys, So I have a 200 GB Hard Drive on my computer. A couple of days ago I got a notification mentioning there was not ten GB of space left. I was surprised, but I assumed I just had more on it than I thought. However, since then I have re-installed Windows for my own...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i bought a new laptop with 2tb hdd and able to shrink volume till 560gb and now i cannot shrink below.i want to keep the os drive of 150 gb and rest to be unallocated just for creating another volume when required.pls do help!!!

2. why can i only shrink my ssd so much?

3. shrink disk min and max is the same

4. windows cant shrink parittion c much,
  5. windows 10 shrank partitition too much,
  6. why windows 10 only lets me shrink partition so much,
  7. cant shrink disk much