Windows 10: Windows 10 can't sleep, restart, or shutdown; hangs at a black screen.

Discus and support Windows 10 can't sleep, restart, or shutdown; hangs at a black screen. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently reinstalled Windows 10 from Ubuntu, and everything is mostly fine. Unfortunately, I am unable to put my system to sleep, restart it, or shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by corizeus, Apr 13, 2021.

1. corizeus Win User

Windows 10 can't sleep, restart, or shutdown; hangs at a black screen.

I recently reinstalled Windows 10 from Ubuntu, and everything is mostly fine. Unfortunately, I am unable to put my system to sleep, restart it, or shut it down using the UI. I've resorted to forcefully powering it off after telling it to shut down. I've done the usual advice, turned off hybrid sleep and hibernation, adjusted the battery settings, updated/uninstalled/reinstalled my graphics drivers, tried Control + Alt + Delete and Shift + Control + Win + B, prayed to Space Lord Thoth, all done ad nauseum.

:)

corizeus, Apr 13, 2021

2. Windows 10 shutdown/restart issue

Since last week, my windows is not able to shutdown/restart/hibernate or sleep. Every time I select any of these options, the screen goes black and nothing happens. The keyboard still reacts.I updated to the Windows 10 version 1004 yesterday, still no
    change. I have also tried disabling fast startup and other commonly suggested steps available on the internet. Please help

ArpitPrakash1, Apr 13, 2021
  3. Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

No, that's rocket science. I'm posting with 10 already, so the problem was solved two days ago...Thank you.

The Windows 7 shutdown screen simply decided to hang and I finally did a hard shutdown and started it up again, after which it was painless.

required name required as well, Apr 13, 2021
  4. Martin_TP Win User

Win 10 hangs on restart and shutdown

If your HP Pavilion has a fingerprint reader, you need to disable it. In my case fingerprint reader and system service for this device caused Windows 10 to hang on shutdown or restart (Blue screen with “Restarting” or “Shutting down” message and dots
    circling around. After some time dots freeze and system hangs). I assume you have the same problem with Windows 10 and HP Pavilion.

To fix this issue after installing Windows 10 go to:

• Computer Management > Device Manager
    Find "Biometric devices" and disable "Validity Sensors (WBF) ....."

• Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services
    Find "Validity WBF Policy Service", disable this service and change "Startup type" in properties to "Disabled".

For the first time after this change system can hang up again. Turn off the computer (power switch) and turn on again. Now Windows should restart and shutdown properly.

Martin_TP, Apr 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 can't sleep, restart, or shutdown; hangs at a black screen. - Similar Threads - can't sleep restart

2. Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected: I have random black screen restarts while using my PC.This time, it was while browsing the internet using Microsoft Edge browser.Please see the relevant information here:OneDrive with EventViewer logs, msinfo32 and DxDiag--------------------------------------NOTE:I previously...
  3. Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Screen restart, The previous system shutdown was unexpected: I have random black screen restarts while using my PC.This time, it was while browsing the internet using Microsoft Edge browser.Please see the relevant information here:OneDrive with EventViewer logs, msinfo32 and DxDiag--------------------------------------NOTE:I previously...
  4. My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop can't shutdown/sleep/hibernate, only restarts: Hello! I've been having this problem where my laptop can't shutdown. If I press shutdown, it only restarts. If I press sleep, it restarts too, same with hibernate. For now I just force shutdown my laptop by pressing and holding the power button. Please help. My laptop's...
  5. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  6. Windows hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows hangs on shutdown/restart: I just built a new PC. Upgraded my Windows license because my free upgrade to Windows 10 was from a Windows 7 OEM, Installed the mobo drivers (as best I could, see below), installed GPU drivers, etc. Issues: 1) Whenever I try and shut down, the system hangs on the blue...
  7. Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hang at shutdown or restart - BSOD Driver_Power_State_Failure: Hi All, I recently replaced my original HDD with a Samsung SSD 120GB, installed fresh Windows 10 Pro on my laptop and now, it cannot be shutdown or restarted properly as before. When I shutdown/restart the PC, the screen goes black but the power button light is still on...
  8. WiFi drops out and can't reconnect, computer hangs on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi drops out and can't reconnect, computer hangs on shutdown/restart: Hey all, Hope I can get some help with a problem that has been bugging me since I installed W10. This problem appears to be random and happens a couple of time a month. It is really annoying. What happens is, the WiFi appears to stop working. It can't find any available...
  9. Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hanging on shutdown, can't locate the issue.: Hello everyone, For the past few days Windows 10 has been hanging at shutdown. The symptoms are as follows: When shutting down the computer, it'll make it past the shutdown screen, my monitor will turn off and display "No Signal" which is normal, although the computer will...
  10. Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer can't shutdown or sleep, only restart.: Hey guys. I hope someone here can help me with my current problem on my desktop. Whenever I try to shutdown my computer the montior shuts off and my drives stops after a few seconds, but my fans and LEDs keeps running. I've tried to do all the suggestions from My Laptop...