Windows 10: Windows 10 can't stay awake

Discus and support Windows 10 can't stay awake in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just upgraded to Windows 10. The jury is still out if I like it better than Windows 7, but I think so. One big problem is nothing I've done will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by BruceO, Aug 3, 2015.

1. BruceO Win User

Windows 10 can't stay awake

I just upgraded to Windows 10. The jury is still out if I like it better than Windows 7, but I think so. One big problem is nothing I've done will adjust the power setting to keep my laptop from going to sleep. I notice that there is not an option for "dim the screen" I doubt this is why or where I can tell my computer to stay awake, but all other power options won't take hold, meaning, I tell the computer to NEVER sleep and three minutes later, my computer is sleeping. Is this a kink that Windows needs to fix? Is anyone else having this issue?

:)

BruceO, Aug 3, 2015

2. How to keep computer awake after waking from a scheduled job.

I put my Windows 10 PC to sleep each night before going to bed and need it to automatically wake up at 8:00 AM each morning and
    stay awake until I put it to sleep at night. I have a scheduled job that dutifully wakes the PC every morning, but the problem is that it puts itself back to sleep within a few minutes. If I move the mouse during the few minutes it's awake
    it stays awake all day with no problem. If I wake the computer with the keyboard it stays awake all day.

This process worked fine in Windows 7. Any suggestions?

RickBell_CA, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Screen saver does not work once logged in (Desktop)

The test/preview of the screen saver immediately kicks in the screen saver in demo mode, ignoring any devices that tell the system to stay awake. When the screen saver is going to kick in normally, it has to check and see if anything is forcing the system
    to stay awake. So: those are completely different concepts, sadly. That might be the confusion here. Does removing the joystick and/or updating the drivers for the one that's making the system stay awake help?

zachd [MSFT], Aug 3, 2015
  4. Windows 10 can't stay awake

My computer won't stay awake either, and once it goes into sleep I cannot get it out of sleep without manual restart, this is really a pain, I updated graphics driver as I saw that as a suggestion but it didn't help. Hoping an update/fix comes soon.

phillyteamhater, Aug 3, 2015
  5. BruceO Win User
    I just changed my performance setting to High Performance. This solved the problem, but now I will use up power much faster. This is fine when plugged in, but not so when using the battery. I hope someone will be able to let us know how to really solve the issue...[CORRECTION!!]. High Performance seemed to solve the issue for a couple of days, but now my computer is very sleepy again.

BruceO, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Yeah I switched to high performance and it worked like twice that it didn't need manual restart but been back to the same since.

phillyteamhater, Aug 5, 2015
  7. I think I may have found a temporary solution. It is a little more than just doing high performance. So what I did was after going into the power and sleep settings>>additional power settings>>>high performance>>>change plan setting>>>>change advanced power settings>>>>change settings that are currently unavailable. Then there are a bunch of different options to play with. For me I did Power Buttons and Lid, and chose do nothing on lid close action. I kept my computer on overnight with lid closed and I was able to get it working upon opening, which it wasn't doing before. So I hope this will at least be a temporary fix so that I don't have to completely shut down before lid close or do a manual restart. Maybe if you mess around some you can get a fix with yours.

phillyteamhater, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Windows 10 can't stay awake

I just turn on presentation mode to make sure mine does not sleep while I'm away for awhile. Never failed to me since using this on Windows 7.

Windows 10 can't stay awake [​IMG]

theveterans, Aug 7, 2015
  9. wmh131 Win User
    I was having the same problem. I found the answer in a windows 7 forum about "System Unattended Sleep Timeout". By executing the registry modification provided then setting the timeout value to very large number, I cured the problem!
    See: Power Options - Add - Windows 7 Help Forums

wmh131, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 can't stay awake

1. Windows 10 can't stay awake - Similar Threads - can't stay awake

2. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  3. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  4. Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings: This has been an on and off problem with me for quite sometime, basically the problem is that randomly at times my monitors will just not go to sleep and stay awake - sometimes restarting the system works as a quick fix, sometimes it doesn't. I have manually went through the...
  5. Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings: This has been an on and off problem with me for quite sometime, basically the problem is that randomly at times my monitors will just not go to sleep and stay awake - sometimes restarting the system works as a quick fix, sometimes it doesn't. I have manually went through the...
  6. Windows 10 - Monitors staying awake despite settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
  7. Problem getting W10 pro to stay awake

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem getting W10 pro to stay awake: I have a Compaq CQ71 that has Windows 10 Pro on it and it keeps going into sleep if left alone, even though the power settings are set to stay awake on drive permanently when plugged in and screen is set for 2hrs inactivity before shutting down. Is there a fix available for...
  8. Desktop stay awake during backup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop stay awake during backup: Hi. I look after a number of PC's for my flying club and I back them up on a weekly basis during the night. Two desktops have backup drives in them which enables local backup but two laptops don't and as a consequence, I back them up to the desktop backup drives over WiFi....
  9. Window 10 Crash on Awake ntoskrnl

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 10 Crash on Awake ntoskrnl: On Fri 5/19/2017 7:08:23 PM your computer crashed crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051917-12968-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C310) Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800D8C2560E) Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...
  10. Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows must be very tired-refuses to stay awake: W10 will stay awake when something is running. But goes to sleep within minutes when idle. Laptop is plugged in. I have everything I can think of set to make it stay awake. High performance profile, no sleep ever, no hybrid sleep, no hibernate, no drive off (SSD), Display...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winows 10 doesnt stay awake