Windows 10: Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

Discus and support Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu. in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, I've been using my new Windows 10 PC for less than a day and am unable to type into the Windows 10 search box/bar. Also, setting the search bar... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Starlobster, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

Hello,

I've been using my new Windows 10 PC for less than a day and am unable to type into the Windows 10 search box/bar. Also, setting the search bar to display the search icon instead, and then clicking on the icon does not make a search bar appear nothing happens. Showing the Cortana bottom on the taskbar and then clicking on the button also causes nothing to happen.

I have tried several of the suggestions I found online.
    The two most common answers I've found online do not fix the problem, but the second method gives me an error which may explain the cause see below.

Please help, I always prefer to use the search bar and having this happen on a new PC is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

--

1 Method 1: Run ctfmon doesn't fix the problem
    2 Method 2: Running this line from the Powershell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}

Doesn't fix the problem, and gives me the following error:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use. error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed InputApp_1000.18362.449.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy. NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 35e5b3c0-e490-0000-4feb-e53590e4d501 in the Event Log or use the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID 35e5b3c0-e490-0000-4feb-e53590e4d501 At line:1 char:94 + ... Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.I ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String [Add-AppxPackage], Exception + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it modifies are currently in use.

error 0x80073D02: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed
    Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.18362.449_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.

NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 35e5b3c0-e490-0000-89ed-e53590e4d501 in the Event Log or use

the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID 35e5b3c0-e490-0000-89ed-e53590e4d501

At line:1 char:94

+ ... Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.I ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String [Add-AppxPackage], Exception

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

:)

Starlobster, Feb 16, 2020

2. Can't type in Cortana search box

Hi Brendon,

Is you keyboard working normally on other apps such as Notepad? If not, run the built in troubleshooter for your keyboard. Here are the steps:

• Type Troubleshoot in the Search box and press
      Enter.
    • Look for and run the Keyboard troubleshooter.
    • Follow the onscreen instructions.
    In the mean time, we suggest that you refer to the link below for actions that you can perform to troubleshoot issues with the Start menu or Cortana:

Troubleshoot problems with the Start menu or Cortana.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rolando Vil, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu.

1. Windows 10: Can't type in search box or in start menu. - Similar Threads - Can't type search

2. Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it: The tray also randomly appears, even when in a fullscreen application. It seems to be consistent and always refreshes when it appears. I tried using the Virtual Agent and the Troubleshooter, with no success. I have no idea what caused this, it started randomly yesterday, and...
  3. Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it: The tray also randomly appears, even when in a fullscreen application. It seems to be consistent and always refreshes when it appears. I tried using the Virtual Agent and the Troubleshooter, with no success. I have no idea what caused this, it started randomly yesterday, and...
  4. Can't type in Start menu nor click the search box next to it

in Cortana
  5. Start up menu & search box in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start up menu & search box in Windows 10: HiI cant access the Windows start up menu from my desktop bottom left hand side and the search function won't work either when I type into it. Can anyone help please...
  6. Can't type in some of Windows Search boxes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't type in some of Windows Search boxes.: So I've been having a problem where I can't type in certain search boxes.For example the one on the side of the Start menu or in the definitions menu and many others images for the examples.I did the "Index and search" troubleshoot and it told me that it was not working, then...
  7. Can't type in start menu search bar?

in Cortana
    Can't type in start menu search bar?: Today i started facing this issue after i set my system's locale to japan so i could run some software.The language options on the bottom right of the bar disappeared and suddenly I wasn't able to type anything in the search box of the start menu. or the settings. I tried...
  8. I can't type in windows 10 start "type here to search" box also in file explorer search box

in Cortana
    I can't type in windows 10 start "type here to search" box also in file explorer search box: I can't type in windows 10 start "type here to search" box also in file explorer search box after updating my windows. Can anyone help me out?...
  9. Can't type in windows 10 search Box

in Cortana
    Can't type in windows 10 search Box: After the update of windows 10 I can't type in the search box. I tried a lot of method to fix this problem,but they doesn't work. Please tell me some solution to fix this problem....
  10. I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu: So randomly, I can no longer type into the windows 10 search and when I bring up the start menu I cannot type in it to search for apps. I've search and tried a few things but still no luck. I attempted to do a system restore to a previous point in safe mode, but I run into an...