Windows 10: Windows 10 can't update and crashes when display turns on

Discus and support Windows 10 can't update and crashes when display turns on in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So i downloaded the lastest windows 10 update and after the PC retarted i had a black screen, I spam spacebar and all my USBs turn off and o again.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jackgibson6, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Windows 10 can't update and crashes when display turns on

So i downloaded the lastest windows 10 update and after the PC retarted i had a black screen,

I spam spacebar and all my USBs turn off and o again. Then i get a glimpse of 'preparing to configure windows, dont turn off your computer" then it black screens and crashes.

Now as writing this its frozen on said screen with the buffer wheel frozen too.

Ive tried force restarting but windows wont go into recovery mode.

How the hell do i fix this? Thanks!

:)

Jackgibson6, Feb 22, 2021
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Feb 22, 2021
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Feb 22, 2021
  4. Windows 10 can't update and crashes when display turns on

Display Driver kept crashing

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the operating system as it the display drivers crashes.

Do let us know the error code/ error message of this issue when the drivers crashes?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers after the latest update, we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to check with the display driver status from Device Manager.

Press Windows + x, click on Device Manager, expand
    Display Adapter, right click on the driver, click on
    Properties. You will find the driver status.

Method 2: I suggest you to Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 3: I suggest you to update the display drivers and check.

Steps to Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software.

Refer to: How
    to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Also refer to: Troubleshoot black screen problems

Hope it helps. Try the above, reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 can't update and crashes when display turns on

1. Windows 10 can't update and crashes when display turns on - Similar Threads - can't update crashes

2. Crashing after display has turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Crashing after display has turned off: Hi! Over the last couple days I've had an issue where I'll leave my computer alone and if I come back after my display shutoff timeout it completely crashes. I couldn't find anything in Event Log so I ran Driver Verifier. This caused the system to crash at startup with System...
  3. Hardware error, PC crashes turn black screen and when turning it display black screen with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware error, PC crashes turn black screen and when turning it display black screen with...: DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 141Parameter 1: ffff800cbd735050Parameter 2: fffff804982463a0Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 0OS version: 10_0_22631Service Pack: 0_0Product:...
  4. Hardware error, PC crashes turn black screen and when turning it display black screen with...

Hardware error, PC crashes turn black screen and when turning it display black screen with...: DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 141Parameter 1: ffff800cbd735050Parameter 2: fffff804982463a0Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 0OS version: 10_0_22631Service Pack: 0_0Product:...
  5. Display flickering black when turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display flickering black when turned on: Hi so I have been having this problem with my laptop, everytime when my laptop is shut down and turned back on when I move my mouse cursor the screen starts flickering black something like this https://streamable.com/gqeh38, but after a quick restart it seems to be fixed but...
  6. Display flickering black when turned on

Display flickering black when turned on: Hi so I have been having this problem with my laptop, everytime when my laptop is shut down and turned back on when I move my mouse cursor the screen starts flickering black something like this https://streamable.com/gqeh38, but after a quick restart it seems to be fixed but...
  7. Windows 10 crashing and can't sleep or turn off without hard turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 crashing and can't sleep or turn off without hard turn off: I have laptop lenovo ideapad 320 ikb and i can't turn off it or let it sleep because everytime i try to put it sleep or turn off it show black screen but the power button light is still on and if i want to turn it off i need to use the power button and when i put it sleep i...
  8. Display says “Unsupported” when turning it on.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display says “Unsupported” when turning it on.: I was in Radeon software messing around with “creating a custom display mode” when i accidently activated a setting that changed my display settings that my current 1080i 60 Hertz display doesn’t support. The setting was: Coordinated Video Timings-Reduced Blanking CVT-RB –...
  9. Windows 10 update windows crash when trying to check online for an update, hence, can't...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update windows crash when trying to check online for an update, hence, can't...: In the last day, I'm starting to get a notification my window build is about to expired. so tried to go to window update and click the "check online for update" link. since this is how I usually get new windows builds. what happens next is that the window close (aka,...
  10. iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    iGPU driver crashes when computer turns display off: I have an Acer Aspire 5742G with an i5-480M and a GT 540M and the Intel display driver fails whenever the computer turns the display off after 10min afk no matter what power plan I'm on, it hapenned just now with Sleep Off in the power plan settings, it's just set to turn off...